Trying to figure these #'s!

tomchamp

President Kennedy calls for a mission to send man to the moon during a joint session of Congress on May 25, 1961.

Less than 10 years later....Apollo 11 on July 20, 1969 lands on the moon!

Today...US to send four astronauts to moon in 2018.

Why will it now take 13 years. Knowing what they already know? :confused:

This should be a cake walk in space!

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
One problem I read about is that the human body may not be able to endure nine months without gravity, because the muscles would atrophy. Maybe the ship would have to spin to produce pseudo-gravity like the space station in "2001."

tomchamp

Tonio said:
One problem I read about is that the human body may not be able to endure nine months without gravity, because the muscles would atrophy. Maybe the ship would have to spin to produce pseudo-gravity like the space station in "2001."
Nine months? I'm talking the moon...3 day's!
BTW Tonio...the moon not mars...apollo 11 got to the moon in 3 days!

Last edited:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
tomchamp said:
Nine months? I'm talking the moon...3 day's!
BTW Tonio...the moon not mars...apollo 11 got to the moon in 3 days!
Sorry, I was thinking Mars when I typed my response. I read in National Geographic not long ago that a Mars mission was on NASA's long-term schedule. In fact, I would favor Mars over a return trip to the moon if possible--more exciting to go somewhere different.

tomchamp

Tonio said:
Sorry, I was thinking Mars when I typed my response. I read in National Geographic not long ago that a Mars mission was on NASA's long-term schedule. In fact, I would favor Mars over a return trip to the moon if possible--more exciting to go somewhere different.
That's what I figured!...Yes let's go to Mars!

MMDad

Lem Putt
tomchamp said:
President Kennedy calls for a mission to send man to the moon during a joint session of Congress on May 25, 1961.

$$$$$$$$$$$

What do we give up in order to send a few tourists to the moon? In 1961, we were in the middle of the cold war. Our expenditures on space, military, etc. made sense - That is what finally ended the cold war and averted a nuclear war. What is the benefit to society? The moon and Mars are not teasure troves that will allow a tangible benefit. Look at NASA's web page where they talk about the Shuttle and Station contributions to society. We have a better understanding of why catsup gets stuck in a bottle? What else?

Please convince me I'm wrong, because I like the gee-whiz factor of the space program. However, without a tangible benefit, why should manned flight continue?

Mikeinsmd

MMDad said:
$$$$$$$$$$$ What do we give up in order to send a few tourists to the moon? In 1961, we were in the middle of the cold war. Our expenditures on space, military, etc. made sense - That is what finally ended the cold war and averted a nuclear war. What is the benefit to society? The moon and Mars are not teasure troves that will allow a tangible benefit. Look at NASA's web page where they talk about the Shuttle and Station contributions to society. We have a better understanding of why catsup gets stuck in a bottle? What else? Please convince me I'm wrong, because I like the gee-whiz factor of the space program. However, without a tangible benefit, why should manned flight continue?
:yeahthat: I can write a book on much better things to spend my tax $$ on.

tomchamp

I did not say that I agree...with a trip to the moon or mars...just wondered why 40 years ago..it only took 9 years as compared to today they say 13 years...!

Toxick

Splat
tomchamp said:

That's what they want you to think!

tomchamp said:

Because they never went to the moon! They don't know what "they already know". IT'S ALL A HOAX.

-----------

Ahem... now that I've removed my tin-foil hat, I will submit that I think the real reason is the exponential growth of The Bureaucracy. Government, NASA, all those contractors, the safety precautions that require everything short of bubble-wrapping the astronauts or even the spacecraft itself.

Plus they have to piece together a suitably ethnically and sexually diverse group to go up in space.

You can't just send up a bunch of white guys.

tomchamp

Toxick said:
That's what they want you to think!

Because they never went to the moon! They don't know what "they already know". IT'S ALL A HOAX.

-----------

Ahem... now that I've removed my tin-foil hat, I will submit that I think the real reason is the exponential growth of The Bureaucracy. Government, NASA, all those contractors, the safety precautions that require everything short of bubble-wrapping the astronauts or even the spacecraft itself.

Plus they have to piece together a suitably ethnically and sexually diverse group to go up in space.

You can't just send up a bunch of white guys.

:lmao: Good one Tox, but we did go to the moon..right?

http://www.thekeyboard.org.uk/Did we land on the Moon.htm

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
From what it says I gather...

tomchamp said:

...in 1961 all they wanted to do was the fantastic journey of getting there; single purpose.

This time around, the missions will be much broader, setting up a station. Kind of like Lewis and Clark needed canoes and rifles. Settlers who followed went in wagons and took everything they had because they were gonna stay.

Also, they are starting from scratch, building all new stuff.

I would think that the modern layers of beauracracy have a lot to do with it to. In the old days, no one was much thinking about asbestos and the like; what works, not, is it dangerous.

I dunno.

tomchamp

Larry Gude said:
...in 1961 all they wanted to do was the fantastic journey of getting there; single purpose.

This time around, the missions will be much broader, setting up a station. Kind of like Lewis and Clark needed canoes and rifles. Settlers who followed went in wagons and took everything they had because they were gonna stay.

Also, they are starting from scratch, building all new stuff.

I would think that the modern layers of beauracracy have a lot to do with it to. In the old days, no one was much thinking about asbestos and the like; what works, not, is it dangerous.

I dunno.
I agree with all..except starting from scratch...the PC you just typed your opin from is at least 100 more time faster and sofisticated than any thing they had in that day!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Right...

tomchamp said:
I agree with all..except starting from scratch...the PC you just typed your opin from is at least 100 more time faster and sofisticated than any thing they had in that day!

...but the thing is if you have a Swiss army knife with 3 blades, in may be a great tool but there is only so much you CAN do, so, you focus on that and move forward.

If you have 100 tools that do all manner of cool things, well, all of a sudden there are a bunch of ways to build a better switch or valve and what may have used to take a month to design because there was only so many options, now takes several months because not only can it be done many more ways but with many more materials and many more alternate functions and so forth.

I mean, I would think that as this develops, the space shuttle will look like a Model T to a 22 year old engineer five years from now.

Add to that the trechnological changes that occured from '61 to '71, as they opened new doors, were probably revolutionary to them.

Imagine what they'll be able to do in 5 years or 10.

Gonna be some cool mouse traps come out of this.

tomchamp

Larry Gude said:
...but the thing is if you have a Swiss army knife with 3 blades, in may be a great tool but there is only so much you CAN do, so, you focus on that and move forward.

If you have 100 tools that do all manner of cool things, well, all of a sudden there are a bunch of ways to build a better switch or valve and what may have used to take a month to design because there was only so many options, now takes several months because not only can it be done many more ways but with many more materials and many more alternate functions and so forth.

I mean, I would think that as this develops, the space shuttle will look like a Model T to a 22 year old engineer five years from now.

Add to that the trechnological changes that occured from '61 to '71, as they opened new doors, were probably revolutionary to them.

Imagine what they'll be able to do in 5 years or 10.

Gonna be some cool mouse traps come out of this.

That's the best you can do Larry?...mouse traps...we can put a 1000 pound bomb through someones front door..not to mention metical break throughs...OH the shuttle does look like a model T...and really it is...!

Triggerfish

tomchamp said:
I did not say that I agree...with a trip to the moon or mars...just wondered why 40 years ago..it only took 9 years as compared to today they say 13 years...!

Maybe because technology is a lot more advanced now and it will take a lot longer to build a spacecraft with these advanced components? Imagine the difference between the model T and today's automobiles which have microchips and composite materials. I also have a feeling they want to make the trip more comfortable than the Apollo missions.

Plus during the cold war the country was probably willing to take more risks than now.

tomchamp

Triggerfish said:
Maybe because technology is a lot more advanced now and it will take a lot longer to build a spacecraft with these advanced components? Imagine the difference between the model T and today's automobiles which have microchips and composite materials. I also have a feeling they want to make the trip more comfortable than the Apollo missions.

Plus during the cold war the country was probably willing to take more risks than now.
Good one Trigg!...because technology is a lot more advanced now ..it is and should be easier.

The reason we went to the moon had all to do with the Cold War!