Trying To Find A Ride For Lou!

R

remaxrealtor

They would like a Standardbred for the Parade of Breeds at the animal fair on Sat. There's nothing I'd like more than to show his royal highness off :diva: but, alas, we are without a trailer. Anyone going that way with an empty slot? I'll spring for fuel!

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
He's a Standardbred right???? Hook him up to one of those georgous buggys at Bubby's and drive him there!!!! :howdy:

fredsaid2

Couldn't your BM give you a ride over? Wouldn't take long and could turn into a nice plug for the barn.

R

remaxrealtor

I have assured Lou that his buggy days are over!

I have procured a trailer and truck, but honestly have never trailered a horse on my own before.

The BM has her students riding in a competition on Sat, or she would be more than happy to take him.

fredsaid2

remaxrealtor said:
I have assured Lou that his buggy days are over!

I have procured a trailer and truck, but honestly have never trailered a horse on my own before.

The BM has her students riding in a competition on Sat, or she would be more than happy to take him.

Congrats on the truck and trailer! There's no time like the present to begin. Spend today pulling the empty trailer around. You'll get used to it in no time. Soon everyone will ask you for a ride to the next event : ) Good Luck!

R

remaxrealtor

fredsaid2 said:
Congrats on the truck and trailer! There's no time like the present to begin. Spend today pulling the empty trailer around. You'll get used to it in no time. Soon everyone will ask you for a ride to the next event : ) Good Luck!
Thanks Fred! I think I'll tell him we're going to a spa... :whistle:

R

remaxrealtor

happyappygirl said:
Just remember, wither thou goest...the trailer will follow :lol:
and turn WIDE
ANY and ALL advice welcomed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
it's very liberating. i had never pulled anything either (no desire, or reason), and the drive to 'go west' with the horses was a powerful motivator :lol: now you can't keep me home!! {Much to Rottncop's chagrin}

K

Katie

When my mom started pulling the truck & trailer she first did it empty. Things you need to remember.

(Saw mom do these things by mistake)

1. It isn't car, so taking tight turns is not advisable. She dented the trailer doing this.

2. There are ALWAYS men at the horse events that are willing to back the trailer up for you.

3. Get there early so you can get a spot that can be done without backing.

4. Going on the Mass Pike(or down here Beltway) is not fun because tractor trailer trucks are not fun. We used to go the backroad to avoid tractor trailer h#ll.

fredsaid2

First and foremost....learn to back your trailer. You will at some time, even with the very best advance planning, find yourself in a backing situation. You don’t want to be unprepared. I always try to find the straight pull in and out parking spot but you can't rely on it. Drive around the farm and practice backing there. Put your hand on the bottom of the wheel and turn in the direction you want the back end to go. When you’re comfortable with that, take a road trip w/ the empty trailer. Try for smooth accelerations and decelerations, go slower turning than you think you should, brake earlier than you think you should, give yourself more than enough time to get where you need to be. Always expect that car to your left to have a sudden need to be immediately in front of you…and to hit the brakes when they do move over. Set up a routine when you hitch up, check that you’ve closed the hitch and put in the safety pin, check your safety chains, check your brake/light connection, check your lights – then check it all again. Take your time and don’t rush, you’ll be fine. :smile:

goldnhorse

AKA~mygoldnhorse
:howdy: Something else that took me awhile to realize is that if there is a vehicle that may pull out in front of you.....take for granted that they ARE going to pull out in front of you. Once they see a horse trailer coming it is like they automatically have to put the gas pedal to the floor. Take your time, you will master it in no time at all. Good luck! See you tomorrow.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
when backing, put your hand on the bottom of the wheel so the trailer actually turns in the direction your hand goes. i still forget that one, and try to pull in everywhere. Men (and some women-but men tend to be more confident about offering assistance) sure can come in handy at horse events, just for that reason, :lol:

navigator

Animal Fair Reminder

All vendors must be set up and have vehicles off the fairway by 8:30 am. The Pet Parade will begin at 11:00 am with staging beginning at 10:45 am. Please drive carefully and thanks for your support. Be sure to drop by the Snowflake Society table and silent auction!