Tulsa officer Betty Shelby booked, released on bond

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
"(CNN)Tulsa police officer Betty Shelby was booked at the local county jail early Friday and released shortly after on $50,000 bond.

Shelby has been charged with manslaughter in the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man, Terence Crutcher, after his SUV broke down last week.
Tulsa, Oklahoma, police officer Betty Shelby has been charged with felony manslaughter.

Tulsa County District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler announced the charge Thursday. The criminal complaint against Shelby said her "fear resulted in her unreasonable actions which led her to shooting" Crutcher, 40. She is accused of "unlawfully and unnecessarily" shooting him after he did not comply with her "lawful orders."

Attorneys for Crutcher's family said Thursday they will be seeking a "vigorous prosecution" that results in a conviction.

"This is a small victory," Crutcher's twin sister, Tiffany, told reporters.

"The chain breaks here. We're going to break the chains of police brutality," she added. "We know the history." "

More here: http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/23/us/tulsa-officer-booked-released-on-bond/index.html

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yes, it makes absolute sense to throw all the cops in jail and let the ghetto thugs run wild and free.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
so you equate this guy with the thugs in Charlotte ?

he was unarmed ..... the window was closed ....

Plus she wasn't alone. She wasn't under immediate threat. She ####ed up and killed a person because she...####ed up. Think of how many shootings over the years, before video, shootings like this, just get swept away.

Should have had complied? Maybe. Whose serving who, here? Was he high on PCP? Maybe. Was he giving the cops cause to be concerned? Yup. And then he got killed.

PsyOps

Pixelated
so you equate this guy with the thugs in Charlotte ?

he was unarmed ..... the window was closed ....

I don't know how you can tell from any view that windows were closed. Shelby maintains that the window was down. But that doesn't mean the doors were locked and he wasn't attempting to get inside the vehicle. Shelby's statement was that Crutcher refused to obey more than a dozen orders; none of which included "walk to the driver's side of the car". She ordered him to get on his knees. He refused and kept walking towards his car. Reports are that her training told her that Crutcher was high on something; probably PCP; which turned up in his car. Toxicology will answer that.

I'm not taking sides, because we have too much conflicting info and not enough info but for the sake of providing the other side:

Betty Shelby Was Justified In Shooting Terence Crutcher. Here’s Why.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Plus she wasn't alone. She wasn't under immediate threat. She ####ed up and killed a person because she...####ed up. Think of how many shootings over the years, before video, shootings like this, just get swept away.

Should have had complied? Maybe. Whose serving who, here? Was he high on PCP? Maybe. Was he giving the cops cause to be concerned? Yup. And then he got killed.

Yeah... I think of Freddie Gray, where three innocent cops were found not guilty on a prosecutor's rampage to get 'justice' (revenge). I have no idea how this one turns out; but you all seem to have made up your minds before you have even the slightest bit of evidence; just two videos from different angles that do not provide enough detail of anything.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't know how you can tell from any view that windows were closed. Shelby maintains that the window was down. But that doesn't mean the doors were locked and he wasn't attempting to get inside the vehicle. Shelby's statement was that Crutcher refused to obey more than a dozen orders; none of which included "walk to the driver's side of the car". She ordered him to get on his knees. He refused and kept walking towards his car. Reports are that her training told her that Crutcher was high on something; probably PCP; which turned up in his car. Toxicology will answer that.

I'm not taking sides, because we have too much conflicting info and not enough info but for the sake of providing the other side:

Betty Shelby Was Justified In Shooting Terence Crutcher. Here’s Why.

This is my understanding of how it happened.

I suppose we could wait until these thugs actually kill the cop before they're allowed to take action. There's an obvious flaw in that strategy, though.

PsyOps

Pixelated
This is my understanding of how it happened.

I suppose we could wait until these thugs actually kill the cop before they're allowed to take action. There's an obvious flaw in that strategy, though.

I won't go out on either side on this, but I'm pretty fed up with either side knee jerking to believing one or the other side is guilty before we know even 1% of the truth. I thought we were supposed to believe in a system that waited for the evidence and let the courts decide.

Be that as it may, Crutcher had a pretty long rap sheet; and with someone like this you have to believe this sort of thing was inevitable:

Crutcher had a hefty criminal record before he was shot. In fact, he had just been released in May after nine years in prison for drug trafficking, WZ reported...

1996 Shooting with intent to kill — Dismissed
2001 Petit larceny — Conviction
2004 Driving while suspended — Conviction
2005 Driving while suspended, resisting officer — Conviction
2006 Driving while suspended — Conviction
Driving with open container — Dismissed
2006 Trafficking in illegal drugs — Conviction. (He was also charged in that incident with assault on a police officer and resisting, but that was dismissed.)
2011 Public intoxication (while in prison for drug trafficking) — Conviction
2012 Public intoxication — Conviction
Obstructing an officer — Conviction
2013 DUI — Conviction
Resisting officer — Conviction
Open Container — Conviction
Failure to wear seatbelt — Conviction
Speeding — Conviction

direxpgw

Not sure that I necessarily agree with this. Everybody wants to be a Monday morning quarterback. I can't tell definitively if the window was down or not. After ordering someone a dozen times to get on the ground, seeing that he is uncooperative and at the barrel of 4 officers guns he continues to retreat to his car, you can bet that the officers were on edge. As I understand it, he then attempts to reach into window or at least attempt. I mean should the officer have fired at that point?? Probably not but I don't know what was in her mind. She probably thought he was reaching for a weapon. The guy is obviously a mental midget for not complying with the officers in the first place. It's a fine line. What you're asking is that an officer makes a decision in 2 seconds knowing that they have an uncooperative suspect who may or may not have a weapon and is acting suspicious. In hindsight I'm sure she wouldn't have fired. I just don't know. Everyone likes to proclaim what they would do when presented with a crazy situation. Very few know the reality of it. I'd like to hear the officers full testimony before jumping to conclusions.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Be that as it may, Crutcher had a pretty long rap sheet; and with someone like this you have to believe this sort of thing was inevitable:

I think all cops should quit. Clearly this two-bit thug's life is so much more valuable than Officer Shelby's, so screw 'em.

This crap makes me so angry.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm not asking for cops to get shot first. She shot too soon. A second? 2? Don't know. As is, no weapon was found so, he was never a threat to them and wasn't going to be as far what she thought he was doing. She ####ed up, at least she did if was want a society where people don't get killed for what this guy did.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I think all cops should quit. Clearly this two-bit thug's life is so much more valuable than Officer Shelby's, so screw 'em.

This crap makes me so angry.

It may get to that point. What's the point if shooting a black person can never be justified. And this gets to a question I asked in another thread... what do these 'protester' want... specifically?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yeah... I think of Freddie Gray, where three innocent cops were found not guilty on a prosecutor's rampage to get 'justice' (revenge). I have no idea how this one turns out; but you all seem to have made up your minds before you have even the slightest bit of evidence; just two videos from different angles that do not provide enough detail of anything.

I must have missed the Freddy gray death video. Video is to protect the cops, too.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It may get to that point. What's the point if shooting a black person can never be justified. And this gets to a question I asked in another thread... what do these 'protester' want... specifically?

There was a black guy killed by the cops in Ferguson the week of the riots. It was videotaped and no one had a problem. Good, just shooting.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Of all the officers present, didn't any of them have a non-lethal means to take him down (e.g. tazer, bean bag gun, etc.)? Getting killed for being uncooperative doesn't seem like an option.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I'm not asking for cops to get shot first. She shot too soon. A second? 2? Don't know. As is, no weapon was found so, he was never a threat to them and wasn't going to be as far what she thought he was doing. She ####ed up, at least she did if was want a society where people don't get killed for what this guy did.

How do you come to that conclusion? Is there some sort of time rule? And how do you conclude he was never a threat? He was refusing to cooperate and attempting to either reach into his truck or get into his truck. Two seconds more and he's in his truck and a danger to everyone. Devoid of knowing whether he had a gun or not, they MUST operate on the premise he might, given his uncooperative behavior.

I'm not a cop, and neither are you. She has extensive training. How do you claim to know better?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
How do you come to that conclusion? Is there some sort of time rule? And how do you conclude he was never a threat? He was refusing to cooperate and attempting to either reach into his truck or get into his truck. Two seconds more and he's in his truck and a danger to everyone. Devoid of knowing whether he had a gun or not, they MUST operate on the premise he might, given his uncooperative behavior.

I'm not a cop, and neither are you. She has extensive training. How do you claim to know better?

Ah, yes, the old 'I'm losing so therefore we're both not qualified to comment' argument.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Of all the officers present, didn't any of them have a non-lethal means to take him down (e.g. tazer, bean bag gun, etc.)? Getting killed for being uncooperative doesn't seem like an option.

Other cop tazed him same time. She over reacted and killed the guy.

PsyOps

Pixelated

My God people! Are you only seeing what you want to see? He was ordered to get on the ground several times (according to Shelby) before he got to his truck. He refused, and instead kept walking to his truck. He put his hands down at the truck appearing to be either reaching into his truck or trying to open his truck; even when they ordered him not to. Shelby - an expert in recognizing someone on PCP - felt Crutcher might have been high on PCP. At this point you have to assume he is reaching for a weapon. Is that not a reasonable assumption given all the other circumstances?

PsyOps

Pixelated
Ah, yes, the old 'I'm losing so therefore we're both not qualified to comment' argument.

Oh BS Larry... no one is winning or losing here. I haven't taken sides. I'm willing to say Shelby ####ed up when the evidence comes out and the jury says so. I'm also willing to say Crutcher put himself in this situation by not cooperating. None of this happens if he just got on the ground when Shelby told him to. Why is that so hard to do anymore - cop asks you to get on the ground, and you get on the ground? Is that where we are now, that we no long have to follow orders from the cops? I mean, do you agree Crutcher was not following the order of the cops and was putting himself deeper and deeper into a bad situation?