Tulsa officer Betty Shelby booked, released on bond

Christy

b*tch rocket
I think all cops should quit.
This crap makes me so angry.

I agree. They should all just quit, or at a minimum not show up for work for a week and let everyone have to fend for themselves. See how they like them apples. You couldn't pay me enough to be a cop. No way, no how.

tom88

Why? We know the Grey thing was way over the top and total horse####. We know there was no video like this. Totally different.

No, the video to me proves the opposite of what you see. The video to me proves this guy reached out to either get into the car or to get something from the car. I believe we have to go with what the officer knew at the time. At the time, the officer knew this guy had been driving this vehicle on a roadway and could have caused serious harm or death to another if he were to get in and drive away. I don't think 12 jurors are going to see it your way.

Restitution

Why do all you tin foil hat wearing apologists insist on skipping over STEP 1 and just whining about the results?

Step 1 was the officers issuing rightful orders to the suspect to submit. PERIOD! They were lawful orders that this idiot failed to follow whether he was high, stupid, or just plain neglectful! Whether he was black, white, yellow, purple... doesn't matter. Whether the officer was man, woman, black, white... doesn't matter!

According to Larry's thinking.... We should just have the police forgo issuing orders to civilians and move right in for the takedown and apprehension phase. Why bother offering them an opportunity to surrender to authority and explain the circumstances?

I personally don't care if it was right or wrong to shoot this guy. Bottom line was that he was offered a peaceful solution and decided (high or not) to ignore it. He can work that out with his creator now!

TIRED of all this touchy feely BS.... DAMN!!!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
No, the video to me proves the opposite of what you see. The video to me proves this guy reached out to either get into the car or to get something from the car. I believe we have to go with what the officer knew at the time. At the time, the officer knew this guy had been driving this vehicle on a roadway and could have caused serious harm or death to another if he were to get in and drive away. I don't think 12 jurors are going to see it your way.

Maybe so. Maybe so.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Why do all you tin foil hat wearing apologists insist on skipping over STEP 1 and just whining about the results?

Step 1 was the officers issuing rightful orders to the suspect to submit. PERIOD! They were lawful orders that this idiot failed to follow whether he was high, stupid, or just plain neglectful! Whether he was black, white, yellow, purple... doesn't matter. Whether the officer was man, woman, black, white... doesn't matter!

According to Larry's thinking.... We should just have the police forgo issuing orders to civilians and move right in for the takedown and apprehension phase. Why bother offering them an opportunity to surrender to authority and explain the circumstances?

I personally don't care if it was right or wrong to shoot this guy. Bottom line was that he was offered a peaceful solution and decided (high or not) to ignore it. He can work that out with his creator now!

TIRED of all this touchy feely BS.... DAMN!!!

You don't care if it was right or wrong to shoot the guy? You're a ####ing idiot. You goddamn well better learn to care whether it is right or wrong for our officers, acting in our name, rightly or wrongly killed a person.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm not asking for cops to get shot first. She shot too soon. A second? 2? Don't know. As is, no weapon was found so, he was never a threat to them and wasn't going to be as far what she thought he was doing. She ####ed up, at least she did if was want a society where people don't get killed for what this guy did.

How soon is "too soon"? At what point did she know he didn't have a weapon? Do you honestly expect cops to be psychics?

This guy is a long time criminal dirtbag. His death is no great loss, as far as I'm concerned. Being neither here nor there, you're expecting this police officer to give him the benefit of the doubt, even though there was no reason to do so. Why do you feel criminal lives are more important than cops' lives?

That's a real question, btw.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You don't care if it was right or wrong to shoot the guy? You're a ####ing idiot. You goddamn well better learn to care whether it is right or wrong for our officers, acting in our name, rightly or wrongly killed a person.

When did you start hating cops so much? When did you start thinking it was okay for them to be shot and killed, but they better not harm a hair on the head of some ####bag with a rap sheet a mile long who is threatening them?

That's a real question. Something happened to make you hate cops. Why not just come clean? Because currently you sound insane. Perhaps if you tell your side of the story, I can understand more where you're coming from.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
How soon is "too soon"? At what point did she know he didn't have a weapon? Do you honestly expect cops to be psychics?

This guy is a long time criminal dirtbag. His death is no great loss, as far as I'm concerned. Being neither here nor there, you're expecting this police officer to give him the benefit of the doubt, even though there was no reason to do so. Why do you feel criminal lives are more important than cops' lives?

That's a real question, btw.

As I said before, she should have waited a bit longer. Maybe a second? Maybe 2? Her partner, standing right next to her, thought it was time to tazed the guy. She seems to have fired at the same time. Maybe he startled her?

Whether guy is a great loss or small, I don't think we should want this shooting to be judged on anything other than what he did and she did.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
As I said before, she should have waited a bit longer. Maybe a second?

How long would it have taken for him to pull a gun and shoot her? Maybe a second?

And don't come back with "He didn't have a gun!!" She didn't know that, and wouldn't have known until it was too late. Most dead cops didn't realize the person they confronted had a gun...until it became clear they did.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
When did you start hating cops so much? When did you start thinking it was okay for them to be shot and killed, but they better not harm a hair on the head of some ####bag with a rap sheet a mile long who is threatening them?

That's a real question. Something happened to make you hate cops. Why not just come clean? Because currently you sound insane. Perhaps if you tell your side of the story, I can understand more where you're coming from.

I don't like bad cops. You can interpret that as not liking good cops but you'd be wrong. We judge everyone be it a truck driver or politician as being good or bad or somewhere in between. When it comes to cops, there is a strong tendency to consider them all good. That's non sense. The bad ones are a threat to the vast majority who are good at a very tough job. Your premise is wrong.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't like bad cops.

So Officer Shelby, by taking precautions to protect her own life, is a bad cop?

The guy had any number of chances to not get shot. He chose to threaten a cop, and now he's dead.

How does that make Shelby a bad cop?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So Officer Shelby, by taking precautions to protect her own life, is a bad cop?

The guy had any number of chances to not get shot. He chose to threaten a cop, and now he's dead.

How does that make Shelby a bad cop?

You already said you don't care the guy is dead. Nothing anyone says is going to matter from there. Maybe she just should have shot him a second sooner? A minute? The instant he disobeyed?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You already said you don't care the guy is dead. Nothing anyone says is going to matter from there. Maybe she just should have shot him a second sooner? A minute? The instant he disobeyed?

Did you forget that I was married to you for an eternity, and therefore recognize the point when you realize you're on the wrong side of an argument?

Once you start whipping out the crazy hyperbole, that's when.

So good. You realize it's unreasonable to expect cops to wait for a suspect to pull out a gun and shoot them before they take action.

Now the challenge is getting you to admit it instead of dig in deeper.

stgislander

PREMO Member
That is not the standard. The standard is would a reasonable person believe his actions put another person in fear of their life or the life of others? So looking at the totality of this event, knowing this guy was driving that SUV while likely high on a mind altering drug and driving on a major highway against traffic, I think it will be pretty difficult to convince 12 people that his actions were reasonable and that based on her training her actions were unreasonable.

Maybe not today, but it was our standard. From the video I've seen, I do not see at the instance she fired her weapon, that her action was reasonable.