TurboTax, H&R Block hid free filing option from Google so customers couldn’t find it

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
TurboTax and H&R Block deliberately hid their free tax filing options from Google results which forced many low-income tax filers to pay for expensive, unnecessary tax filing.
Intuit, the company that operates TurboTax, accomplished this by adding code to its free filing site that essentially told Google and other search engines to not list the site in search results.
The code needs to be added manually, Pro Publica reports.
“Intuit’s tactics to reduce access to the Free File program and confuse taxpayers are outrageous,” Senator Ron Wyden said in a statement.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny...0190428-wsne3lxtfvah3c5nbyuv6hqcaa-story.html

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you're so stupid that you can't go to Turbotax.com and locate their free filing option, Intuit deserves your money.

“Intuit’s tactics to reduce access to the Free File program and confuse taxpayers are outrageous,” Senator Ron Wyden said in a statement.

That guy is a ****ing nut. Intuit has no obligation to give anyone free tax service, let alone promote it heavily.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
(a) That guy is a ****ing nut. (b) Intuit has no obligation to give anyone free tax service, let alone promote it heavily.
(a) Absolutely agree. Would add "wing" to "nut."
(b) Doesn't current law require them to offer it? Isn't this what the IRS services kerfuffle post was about a few weeks ago...? (Still confused about it....) Anyway, would agree; even if required to offer the free option I don't think anyone specified how they have to promote it. (Standing by to learn more.) Regardless, pretty cheesy.

--- End of 1040 line 28 (MCP)

MiddleGround

Although I agree that these companies shouldn't have to promote this service, I also do not think it was legit that they actively decided to suppress the info either.

Regardless, it will result in a lawsuit which will be quickly settled for far less than what is sought and each filer will receive their $2.47 paper check in the mail 90 days later.

transporter

(b) Doesn't current law require them to offer it? Isn't this what the IRS services kerfuffle post was about a few weeks ago...? (Still confused about it....) Anyway, would agree; even if required to offer the free option I don't think anyone specified how they have to promote it. (Standing by to learn more.) Regardless, pretty cheesy.

--- End of 1040 line 28 (MCP)

Jesus...another "somd informed voter"!!

littlelady

God bless the USA

Jesus has nothing to do with this discussion. It reminds me of your reply to me in my Pope thread. You make no sense, but thank you for letting me know whom I live amongst. :yay: All the more reason to lock and load. Or, are you just going to give up, like a fish floundering on the beach? And, if you think Yooper is uninformed., you are truly the ignorati. Poor baby. 👶

Yooper

Jesus has nothing to do with this discussion. It reminds me of your reply to me in my Pope thread. You make no sense, but thank you for letting me know whom I live amongst. :yay: All the more reason to lock and load. Or, are you just going to give up, like a fish floundering on the beach? And, if you think Yooper is uninformed., you are truly the ignorati. Poor baby. 👶
Thanks for having my back! :high5:

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

(a) Absolutely agree. Would add "wing" to "nut."
Never said I was a "somd informed voter" wrt this issue. If you had taken the time to actually read the post you would have noticed that not only did I admit to not be fully informed, I stated my willingness to want to learn more.

Here's your chance, sport. Educate me.

--- End of line (MCP)