Turkey Buzzards

bilbur

You'll hate them if they ever vomit on one of your cars. The smell is horrible. :ohwell:

This happened to one of my dad's friends. It flew through his windshield while he was driving and what was left of him ended up in the passenger seat. As it was going through the windshield it threw up all over the interior, they had to total the car because of they couldn't get the smell out.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
and to think these birds are protected.... you cant shoot them... you cant make them move if they make your house their home...

WTF....

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
This happened to one of my dad's friends. It flew through his windshield while he was driving and what was left of him ended up in the passenger seat. As it was going through the windshield it threw up all over the interior, they had to total the car because of they couldn't get the smell out.

My dad told me story about when he was a kid on the farm he climbed up in the top of a barn to get a buzzard out, as soon as he reached for it, yup, it threw up all over him, said he almost fell to his death and it might have been better than what he smelled like for the next week or so, said they couldn't get the funk off him.... guess it just wore off

bilbur

My dad told me story about when he was a kid on the farm he climbed up in the top of a barn to get a buzzard out, as soon as he reached for it, yup, it threw up all over him, said he almost fell to his death and it might have been better than what he smelled like for the next week or so, said they couldn't get the funk off him.... guess it just wore off

They are actually beneficial to the environment because they get rid of large portions of rotting animal carcasses but throwing up is there only defense mechanism. It is a very good defense because they eat rotting meat and flesh and then it festers in there stomach while it is being digested so for that reason I have heard people say they would rather get sprayed by a skunk than puked on by one of these birds. :barf: They have also recently become a nuisance because they have discovered dumpsters sometimes have food and in Wildewood next to the airport there were 100's of them flying around creating a hazard for planes taking off and landing.

glhs837

Power with Control
Damn, I didnt know about the vomiting thing. Had a couple take up residence in a dead tree back by the lower driveway for about a week, then they left.

Catman2

Damn things tried feeding on the ol' dirty PF homeless guy (now in Barstow) . They got too close and had a change of mind.

acommondisaster

Their crap leaves a lot to be desired, too. We've had a flock of those bastu....ermmm buzzards nesting in the trees in the woods along our walking trail behind our house. The underbrush is white under the trees where they roost. If it lands on a car, better get it off fast or it will eat through the paint - and if it's dried, you'll need a hose and a scrub brush to get it off. Firecrackers chase 'em off for awhile, but they come back. Beating on the tree every night with a hammer when they're trying to roost seems to be the best technique. It may not chase them off, but you wear out your frustrations.

Dakota

~~~~~~~

They got one of my work cars in my driveway one day. I was so upset because I thought somebody put rotten food all over the top of my car. I went inside to tell my husband and as soon as he saw it , he told me to get a hose A.S.A.P. and get it off. He knew what it was from the smell. After he saw me gagging, trying to rinse that crap off my car and making little progress, he felt sorry for me or maybe he was worried he'd die laughing but took over the cleaning of it. It is a smell I will never forget. I'm getting all traumatized again just typing about it. :drama:

TPD

the poor dad
Damn, I didnt know about the vomiting thing. Had a couple take up residence in a dead tree back by the lower driveway for about a week, then they left.

I did not know about the vomiting either, but if I ate what they do, I guess I would barf too.

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
Yet another live and learn thread. I never knew of the horrors they caused until reading this. ewwww!
Now if I ever see one again guess I'll just:cds:

:coffee:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I knew they puke....
Riding down 218 to Fredericksburg a couple of years ago. Came around a corner and there's a big buzzard in the road :yikes: I start slowing and blowing the horn. He takes off and as he's lifting he moves over to the other side of the road.
He's about head high as I approach and he slides back over in front of me. :cds:
I duck and ride under him yelling "Don't Puke, Don't Puke"

Last edited:

Restless

I have a friend who found a newborn baby vulture. It's eyes weren't even open. Well, you guessed it. When the little guy opened his eyes, he saw my friend. Instant imprint. That turkey vulture followed her everywhere. When she would go somewhere in the car, it would fly over top of the car. He would go back to the farm after about two miles and wait for her to return. He adored her. Eventually his hormones kicked in and he left, only to return now and then.