Turkey Soup

K

Kizzy

I get off early today and I was thinking about making turkey soup (I already have the broth and the turkey ready to go) and biscuits. I have made chicken soup before with soup starter then cutting up carrots, celery, and adding an assortment of vegetables in it, but would a turkey soup be the same? The different recipes I’ve been reading call for split pea soup and/or browning flour.

If anyone has made turkey soup before, please let me know what you put in it or share your recipe, preferably one with out split pea soup mixed in it. I just don't think that will go over very well with the kids.

Kizzy said:

1 turkey carcass
2 stalks celery with leaves, coarsely chopped
2 carrots, coarsely chopped
1 onion, peeled and quartered
1 bay leaf
8 cups water
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 cups chopped carrots
1 cup rice
2 cups chopped leftover turkey
1 cup frozen or leftover corn
3 tablespoons fresh parsley
Salt and pepper

In a large pot, combine carcass, celery, carrots, onion, bay leaf and water and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 2 to 3 hours over medium low heat. Strain and discard vegetables and bones. Reserve turkey stock. In a large pot, melt butter and cook onions until tender. Stir in celery and thyme. Stir in carrots and rice and toss to coat. Stir in turkey stock and bring to a simmer. Cook until vegetables and rice are tender. Stir in turkey, corn and parsley. Return to simmer and season to taste.

K

Kizzy

Sharon said:
I throw turkey, onion, garlic, and mixed frozen veggies in the pot and let it make itself, no recipe.

:getdown: That sounds perfect. :lol:

Cablechick yours sounds great too, but too much work for this chick. Check your karma :wink:

Kizzy said:

Cablechick yours sounds great too, but too much work for this chick. Check your karma :wink:
Not a problem ... I can totally understand! I'd much rather have someone make it for me anyway! :biggrin: When's dinner?

K

Kizzy

CableChick said:
Not a problem ... I can totally understand! I'd much rather have someone make it for me anyway! :biggrin: When's dinner?

around 6. :lol:

Pete

Repete
Kizzy said:

If that is the case shouldn't your first post have been; "Does anyone have simple directions for Turkey soup that requires no effort whatsoever?

K

Kizzy

Pete said:
If that is the case shouldn't your first post have been; "Does anyone have simple directions for Turkey soup that requires no effort whatsoever?

What do you mean no effort, I cooked the dayum turkey and cut it. :spank:

K

Kizzy

Pete said:
Did you remember to take out that paper bag of guts this time before cooking it?

:twitch: Ok, who ratted me out

Oh, I do have a little piece of arse at home just for you. :wink: