Turn signal question

bohman

:howdy: Non-rider here with sort of a random question. Are blinker switches on bikes all pretty much the same, or do they vary from one manufacturer to another? In cars, you can get in pretty much any car and know that the blinker is on a stalk on the left side of the column.

I was heading down 235 yesterday and watched some guy turn on his left signal as he made a right into Wawa. I just wondered, was he on a new, unfamiliar bike - or was he just an idiot? :lmao:

I've never ridden so I have no idea whether controls are standard on bikes they way they are with cars.

Pretty much universal that the blinker is on the left handle somewhere. You push it to the left for the left blinker, push it right for the right blinker.

In his case, he either pushed it the wrong way inadvertently, or it's wired backwards. Not too difficult to reverse the wires.

bcp

In My Opinion
Was he riding in revers?
its a common mistake not to use the right directional signal when in reverse.

:howdy: Non-rider here with sort of a random question. Are blinker switches on bikes all pretty much the same, or do they vary from one manufacturer to another? In cars, you can get in pretty much any car and know that the blinker is on a stalk on the left side of the column.

I was heading down 235 yesterday and watched some guy turn on his left signal as he made a right into Wawa. I just wondered, was he on a new, unfamiliar bike - or was he just an idiot? :lmao:

I've never ridden so I have no idea whether controls are standard on bikes they way they are with cars.

Most have it on the left. The HD I just got has the left on the left and the right on the right. Takes a bit of getting used to. Maybe that is what happened to him. Also found out mine are now self canceling coming out of the turn, so for a while there I was turning them back on when I though I was turning them off. If you hit them both at once it is like emergency flashers on a car.

Most have it on the left. The HD I just got has the left on the left and the right on the right. Takes a bit of getting used to. Maybe that is what happened to him. Also found out mine are now self canceling coming out of the turn, so for a while there I was turning them back on when I though I was turning them off. If you hit them both at once it is like emergency flashers on a car.

Hadn't seen that style. Has to be confusing at first.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!

The set up on your HD has been standard for a few years on some models, my 06 had them and my 07 has them.

bohman

I thought it might be something like that. I've NEVER seen a set-up like that in a car. It's ALWAYS a stalk to the left of the column.

So maybe the guy wasn't an idiot. It's springtime; the bike was likely either brand-new or just came out of the garage for the first time this season and he just wasn't used to it yet.

He better figure it out fast, though, or he's going to get flattened somewhere.

The set up on your HD has been standard for a few years on some models, my 06 had them and my 07 has them.

Ok, but it was new to me and different than any bike I'd ever been on.

The best gotcha was trying to ride my friends English made dirt bike after riding mine. The shifter and brake were switched around! Talk about a fun time when you try to downshift climbing a hill and you hit the brake!

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
I thought it might be something like that. I've NEVER seen a set-up like that in a car. It's ALWAYS a stalk to the left of the column.

So maybe the guy wasn't an idiot. It's springtime; the bike was likely either brand-new or just came out of the garage for the first time this season and he just wasn't used to it yet.

He better figure it out fast, though, or he's going to get flattened somewhere.

Speaking of only the other bikes that I have looked at being non-HD's they have a simple 3 way switch for the turn signal that does not have an auto cancellation feature like cars do when a turn has been completed. My HD will turn off the signal after a period of time or if a tight enough of a turn has been made. A friend that has a Suzuki and rides with me often, drives me and others nuts with the same issue that you brought up with your first post. He has to physically hit his switch to turn off the signal. I guess it is easy to get caught up in the moment of the ride or watching for people that do not see motorcycles to forget to turn off the signal.

Speaking of only the other bikes that I have looked at being non-HD's they have a simple 3 way switch for the turn signal that does not have an auto cancellation feature like cars do when a turn has been completed. My HD will turn off the signal after a period of time or if a tight enough of a turn has been made. A friend that has a Suzuki and rides with me often, drives me and others nuts with the same issue that you brought up with your first post. He has to physically hit his switch to turn off the signal. I guess it is easy to get caught up in the moment of the ride or watching for people that do not see motorcycles to forget to turn off the signal.

My V Star would self cancel after a time period even if not rolling. Wifes wouldn't. Just a few years apart.

*ahem*

GoldWing. Self-cancelling since at least 1982. Along with adjustable air ride and cup holders.

:plush:

My V Star would self cancel after a time period even if not rolling. Wifes wouldn't. Just a few years apart.

Interesting! My HD does the same of auto cancel moving or not. At least we don't look as foolish as other riders!

The GW has positional sensors. If you turn the signals on, lean to make a turn, the bike senses when you are riding straight again and turns them off. If you just sit still at a light, they don't turn off. Make the turn after the light, lean, straighten out, and they turn off.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
*ahem*

GoldWing. Self-cancelling since at least 1982. Along with adjustable air ride and cup holders.

:plush:

As I said in my previous post, of the bikes that I have paid attention to (they are not one of them). I admit that the Gold Wings have various comforts built into them, however I have never been interested in riding anything that looks like a Christmas Tree floating down the road when operated at night.

As I said in my previous post, of the bikes that I have paid attention to (they are not one of them). I admit that the Gold Wings have various comforts built into them, however I have never been interested in riding anything that looks like a Christmas Tree floating down the road when operated at night.

To each his own, don't get high and mighty. I was just making joke about the Wing like we always do on this forum.

Goes along with "Why don't GoldWing riders wave to each other?"

"Because they can't find the 'wave' button."

Interesting! My HD does the same of auto cancel moving or not. At least we don't look as foolish as other riders!

Mine may. I'll have to turn the signal on sitting at a left turn sometime. I've gotten into the habit of waiting until I know it's about to turn green.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
To each his own, don't get high and mighty. I was just making joke about the Wing like we always do on this forum.

Not getting high and mighty, your bringing up Gold Wings just brought to my mind the same Suzuki Riding friends dad that rides a Gold Wing. We had to wait for him before to get the beast warmed up so that all of his lights would come on and stay on. At night riding behind him was like following a beacon down the road. The fact that you are on two wheels out there makes it all good to me, as long as its not a Moped, Vespa, or other non-highway speed joke of a motorcycle.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
Mine may. I'll have to turn the signal on sitting at a left turn sometime. I've gotten into the habit of waiting until I know it's about to turn green.

I have never timed my signal, but it seems to stay on for about 30 seconds until it turns itself off at a light and after gentle wide turns where it does not turn itself off right after the turn.

Floyd2004

-Void-

Now that is a good one lol.
I always harp on GW riders just because they seem so big. Its like a car with two wheels!