TV hookups

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We have the TV:

And the DVD/BluRay:

Ignore the filth, it's gone now.

Anyway, the DVD connections you see go into the wall and out through a kick ass built in speaker system (speakers in the ceiling, whatever you call it).

We would like those speaker wires to connect to the TV instead of the DVD player so that we can have the TV sound come through the built in speakers. Is there a way to do that? And please use simple language :jet:

Monello may be on here to clarify or ask questions - I'm just the photographer.

TIA!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Just a hunch, but do you see where you have digital audio out (optical) on the TV, connect it to the optical in on the dvd player. Probably takes a special cable and some settings selected through the unit for audio in.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I think what Ken said is your only option. Get an optical wire to go from the TV Optical Out to the DVD Optical In. On the DVD,, you probably have to select AUX or something to get the TV sound to pass thru.

Or stop at Best Buy and upgrade all of that ancient equipment with a new TV and integrated 5.1 video amp which all use the HDMI connectors. You can still plug the DVD player into the video amp. Ok, you can still use the same TV too. Just get a 5.1 video amp.

Before you scream, it's not expensive. I bought a video amp for about $150 and it ties my TV and media player together thru one set of speakers with a sub-woofer.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Just a hunch, but do you see where you have digital audio out (optical) on the TV, connect it to the optical in on the dvd player. Probably takes a special cable and some settings selected through the unit for audio in.

Hunch confirmed. Also called a TOSlink cable, which is one that has a special connector on the end. Most of them can do both regular and TOSlink. I use this for the smart tv to send audio from streaming services to the receiver in my system.

And yes, you will need to select that option in the TV menu.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I had an idea that there might be a connector I could use as a go-between for the sound system and TV, that didn't involve the DVD player at all. Or maybe splice the appropriate plug onto the stereo wires.

Thanks ya'll!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I had an idea that there might be a connector I could use as a go-between for the sound system and TV, that didn't involve the DVD player at all. Or maybe splice the appropriate plug onto the stereo wires.

Thanks ya'll!
The sound system is a part of the dvd/bluray player. It is designed to be used via the player, removing it from the equation probably won't get you the result you are looking for. Get the optical cable.

glhs837

Power with Control

Thanks ya'll!
I didn't know there was a separate sound system show us a picture of the back of that you should have toss Link in there too.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The sound system is a part of the dvd/bluray player. It is designed to be used via the player, removing it from the equation probably won't get you the result you are looking for. Get the optical cable.

I didn't know there was a separate sound system show us a picture of the back of that you should have toss Link in there too.

I don't think I'm explaining it right.

Here is the back of the DVD player:

The speaker wires connect to the DVD player like old stereo speakers used to, as you can see.

Those wires go into the wall, and connect to speakers in the ceiling. They don't plug into the wall, they're hard wired to the speakers.

I want the wires coming out of the speakers/wall to connect to the TV instead of the DVD player.

Does that make more sense?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You'd likely have to run the optical sound output from the television to another device, i.e. stereo, amp etc. , that can convert from the optical signal to a speaker output for six independent speakers.

So it's not a simple matter of connecting the speakers to the TV instead of the DVD player? I don't understand this stuff, so type slowly. :jet:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
So it's not a simple matter of connecting the speakers to the TV instead of the DVD player? I don't understand this stuff, so type slowly. :jet:

The television doesn't show any "speaker" outputs. Just audio out which is low power. (can't drive a speaker) Also, you seem to have six speaker channels so it's probably setup for surround.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The television doesn't show any "speaker" outputs. Just audio out which is low power. (can't drive a speaker) Also, you seem to have six speaker channels so it's probably setup for surround.

There are 5 speakers coming out of the ceiling, so I'm guessing that's surround?

Anyway, this is why I like to stick with basics. All this convoluted nonsense.......ugh. Now we have a speaker system we can't even use, which seems stupid. The DVD player is jacked up, the tray won't open, rendering it useless unless we can rig it to be a go-between of the TV and the speakers.

:jameo:

And when the DVD player actually dies, that will be that.

Nonsense, I tell ya.

:doh:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
There are 5 speakers coming out of the ceiling, so I'm guessing that's surround?

Anyway, this is why I like to stick with basics. All this convoluted nonsense.......ugh. Now we have a speaker system we can't even use, which seems stupid. The DVD player is jacked up, the tray won't open, rendering it useless unless we can rig it to be a go-between of the TV and the speakers.

:jameo:

And when the DVD player actually dies, that will be that.

Nonsense, I tell ya.

:doh:
I gotta say, even though I don't have it anymore, the one instance where I had a six speaker surround set the sound was great.

If you replace the dvd and get a lower end stereo reciever/amplifier that does surround, you'll probably enjoy it a lot.

Especially for good action, sci-fi or music.

AC/DC: Shoot To Thrill with Morning Coffee, and feel free to share it with the neighbors! :lmao:

OccamsRazor

It is not unreasonable to "assume" that the BluRay/DVD player will convert your inputs to 5.1 surround. I would 'think' that connecting your TV to the player with the optical cable would do what you are asking. Might take some setup on the TV and DVD player but it should work.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you replace the dvd and get a lower end stereo reciever/amplifier that does surround, you'll probably enjoy it a lot.

I wouldn't even know where to start with that. Trying to explain it to the salestard would probably land me on the evening news.

I'll just consider the speakers in the ceiling a decoration and forget about it.

UglyBear

I wouldn't even know where to start with that. Trying to explain it to the salestard would probably land me on the evening news.

I'll just consider the speakers in the ceiling a decoration and forget about it.
@Sneakers and @Kyle are giving sound advice.
This is just a simpler explanation of what they are saying:
“audio receiver “ or “amp” is a way to simplify your audio outputs from many devices.

It’s just a box that takes all the multiple channels of audio, from TV, DVD player, etc, cleans it up, and puts it into your speakers. So when you get new devices, you just plug into this central box, and don’t need to rewire the rest.
This way you can wire this box to your fancy speakers, and that’s it.
Then, when you buy new devices, pay a teenager next door $50 to wire it into the box, and you are done.