TV hookups

glhs837

Power with Control
And BOOM! TV is coming through the bougie speakers! :yahoo:

The problem is that now I have to use two remotes - one to control the TV, and the DVD one to adjust the sound, which doesn't work so I'll have to get up and adjust volume on the actual player. I'm guessing a universal remote will solve that problem but that's something for another day.

So I go to Walmart and the electronics guy asks if he can help me.

Me: "Yes, I'm looking for an optical cable."
Him: "Well, there are a bunch of different kinds, do you know exactly which one you need?"
Me thinking: ":cussing:"
Me: "It would also be called a TosLink."
Him: " :sshrug: Do you have a make and model #?"
Me: " :burning: lol"
Guy shopper: "Over here is what you need....."

So thank heavens for that guy shopper or there would have been trouble. That's what always happens and why I asked if it was a universal end - I get there thinking I know what I need and am confronted with different shapes and sizes, with the salestard telling me I need an exact make and model #.

Found your problem. Unless he was over 30, and/or happens to run a decent system, odds were low that the Wally "electronics" guy was going to know. I would recommend taking a picture or the stock number from the website.

Now, about your remote, a lot of remotes can also act as a really basic universal remote with a bit of programming. Do you have the make and model of the two items in question? Most TV remotes have enough flexibility that they can handle sending volume or channel commands in a different "language" .

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now, about your remote, a lot of remotes can also act as a really basic universal remote with a bit of programming. Do you have the make and model of the two items in question? Most TV remotes have enough flexibility that they can handle sending volume or channel commands in a different "language" .

:tap:

Balerenes

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I've got a similar problem and ran to this thread to see the solution. Yet, I see nobody here knows the answer. My brother suggested using a particular cable to connect to the DVD. However, it didn't work. Another friend recommended checking instructions from https://multitechverse.com/. There are guides step by step for a lot of technical issues. He had used it to install security cameras around his house without a service package. So, I plan to check it out and find a solution. Maybe it will be useful for you too.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I've got a similar problem and ran to this thread to see the solution. Yet, I see nobody here knows the answer.

Well, we answered her original question, how to get audio from the TV to the speakers. See post #40. Using a fiber optic cable, she sent the audio signal from the TV into the DVD player, which decoded it and sent it to the speakers.

And she never revisited the remote question.

So, what exactly are you trying to do?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I've got a similar problem and ran to this thread to see the solution. Yet, I see nobody here knows the answer.

The answer was:
There is a spot on the TV labeled "Digital Audio Out (Optical)". There is another on the DVD player, "Optical In". You go to Walmart, Best Buy, Target, mail order..... and get an optical cable, AKA 'TosLink'. Plug one end of the cable into the TV and the other into the DVD player at the pre-described places.

On the TV, go into Settings and change the Audio Out from Internal Speakers to something like External or Optical. On the DVD player, change the Input to AUX or something similar to select the optical cable as the input.

But don't ask the Walmart guy where they are in his section because he has no idea what you're talking about. There should be a selection of them on a wall with a bunch of other I/O cables in the electronics section.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Can't take hubby having the TV on full blast anymore, so went to WallyWorld and got a small (6" oblong) Bluetooth speaker.

Took me an hour, but I got that sucker working all by myself.

:diva::diva::diva:
Now he can have it right by his ear so he can hear it, and there is just the right amount of volume for me.

my-thyme

Patron
On a related note, the DVD player won't connect to the Bluetooth speaker. It connects to the speaker bar just fine.

Do I need one of those optic cords to make it work?

TIA

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
On a related note, the DVD player won't connect to the Bluetooth speaker. It connects to the speaker bar just fine.

Do I need one of those optic cords to make it work?

TIA
Guessing here.... the bluetooth speaker might only be able to make one connection at a time. You might have to unpair from the TV to pair to the DVD.

2nd guess: The DVD player doesn't have speaker audio out and depends on the TV to amplify and deliver to the speakers. If you pair the bluetooth speaker to the TV, and then play the DVD thru the TV, it should work with no changes.

my-thyme

Patron
Well, DVD player doesn't have audio out.

The DVD will not send audio to the Bluetooth. DVD volume will go to a plugged-in sound bar just fine.

I have tried turning the BT speaker on before turning on the DVD player, and after. The BT saying its pairing, then no sound.

It's ok, usually I'm in the house by myself when the DVD is on. Just hate losing a challenge.