TV Shows that Jumped The Shark

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Star Trek Enterprise - Perhaps not a "Jump the Shark" but more of declined steadily from season two on.

Grumpy

Prison Break -great for 2 years, then went off the rails
Manifest - went off the rails after 1 year

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
  • Picard
  • Star Trek Discovery
I agree with Discovery but I'm watching Picard now.

I thought I'd watched it all last year but realized I hadn't completed it.

When does it make the leap? End of the First or second season?

I also kinda hosed myself on season 2 by watching a few episodes of it before I realized I was lost and things happened that didn't make sense unless I missed something in season 1.

SamSpade

My guess is when the entire galaxy went gay. :lmao:
My wife and I are noticing that more and more. Every show we watch seems to have at LEAST one gay couple. Usually a few.
I've grown irritated at this "need" to be relevant by having lots of gay characters. Lots of sci-fi shows are now that way, and they're turning me off.

I know gay people and am related to a few - but for Pete's sake, it's like every other character.
The new Doctor is going to be black - ok, fine, no problem -
And gay.

Jodie was bad enough, although it might have been the woke writing.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
My wife and I are noticing that more and more. Every show we watch seems to have at LEAST one gay couple. Usually a few.
I've grown irritated at this "need" to be relevant by having lots of gay characters. Lots of sci-fi shows are now that way, and they're turning me off.

I know gay people and am related to a few - but for Pete's sake, it's like every other character.
The new Doctor is going to be black - ok, fine, no problem -
And gay.

Jodie was bad enough, although it might have been the woke writing.
Yep.

When the writers are so focused on making every character a bi-racial, trans-gender, tri-sexual there isn't much time left to develop a plot.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
What was the jump for you on Discovery?

Well, first the positives:
  1. The technical production (aside from music) was excellent
  2. Setting aside the characters themselves, the actors cast are themselves good performers
The Horror:
  1. Using the platform for social justice preaching. Their method is a far cry from the way TOS and TNG handled social issues of the day.
  2. The Michael character is not command material. Perhaps a #1 yes, but command no. There have been plenty of strong female roles in SciFi dating back many years. Janeway, all of the females in Battlestar Gallactica, Sigourney in Alien movies, etc...
  3. The music background is horrible. There are few identifiable music queues or character themes to set the mood. If you want to see how to do music in a modern sci-fi production, see Battlestar Gallactica. The use of drums in the appropriate situations is pure genius.
  4. The story is all over the road. It seems like there is no preplanned story arc.
  5. The writing is terrible. It seems like they hired junior writers who only watched Star Trek TNG in a binge, then went home and gave their high school-ages kids the task to write the script. Then took what they wrote back in to work the next day and turned it in.
  6. JJ Abrams destroyed the Star Trek and Star Wars movies and to reward him, they bring him on to destroy the TV shows. As if the Abrams crap sandwich isn't bad enough, they add some Alex Kurtzman snot mayonnaise to make things even worst.
  7. "I like Science"
  8. "That's the power of math, people."
The people who say it best are the boys at RedLetterMedia. Mike is a genius and Rich is priceless:

SamSpade

Well, first the positives:
  1. The technical production (aside from music) was excellent
  2. Setting aside the characters themselves, the actors cast are themselves good performers
The Horror:
  1. Using the platform for social justice preaching. Their method is a far cry from the way TOS and TNG handled social issues of the day.
  2. The Michael character is not command material. Perhaps a #1 yes, but command no. There have been plenty of strong female roles in SciFi dating back many years. Janeway, all of the females in Battlestar Gallactica, Sigourney in Alien movies, etc...
  3. The music background is horrible. There are few identifiable music queues or character themes to set the mood. If you want to see how to do music in a modern sci-fi production, see Battlestar Gallactica. The use of drums in the appropriate situations is pure genius.
  4. The story is all over the road. It seems like there is no preplanned story arc.
  5. The writing is terrible. It seems like they hired junior writers who only watched Star Trek TNG in a binge, then went home and gave their high school-ages kids the task to write the script. Then took what they wrote back in to work the next day and turned it in.
  6. JJ Abrams destroyed the Star Trek and Star Wars movies and to reward him, they bring him on to destroy the TV shows. As if the Abrams crap sandwich isn't bad enough, they add some Alex Kurtzman snot mayonnaise to make things even worst.
  7. "I like Science"
  8. "That's the power of math, people."
The people who say it best are the boys at RedLetterMedia. Mike is a genius and Rich is priceless:

Agreed, on pretty much all points. Michael is the kind of person you ALWAYS want on your crew - brave, daring, fearless and talented - but you'd never look to her as a commander.

Never liked Tilly - I mean, she doesn't seem to be even Starfleet material - I mean, they make it sound like getting to Starfleet is a really high bar, and she doesn't do it on any level. NOW she's teaching? Even evil Tilly wasn't scary.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Star Trek Enterprise - Perhaps not a "Jump the Shark" but more of declined steadily from season two on.
I kinda disagree. The season 3 Xindi arc is what I think did the series in. I was happy with season 1 and 2's stand-alone episodes. The writing of season 4 was getting better especially towards the end. But the cancellation was already in motion so they started killing off characters.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I kinda disagree. The season 3 Xindi arc is what I think did the series in. I was happy with season 1 and 2's stand-alone episodes. The writing of season 4 was getting better especially towards the end. But the cancellation was already in motion so they started killing off characters.
I thought the Xindi stuff started in season two?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think they all nuke the shark unless they know when to call it a day, and most don't. You can't name too many shows that lasted more than 5 years without the writers getting fatigue and the characters/storylines going stale. Even Friends - yes, I went there :handsonhips: - got eyerolling around the 8th season. Seinfeld stayed funny, and South Park is still mostly a win, but I can't think of any others.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Back to the original point, The Blacklist is circling the drain, but I have to many years invested to not see it through to the bitter end. I really wish they hadn’t killed of Elizabeth and just let the story end, this entire last season has definitely been jump the shark