Two dogs found decapitated, Sheriff searching for information

Chris0nllyn

If Animal Control suspects an animal of being rabid, I think they would take the animal to a vet or the animal shelter to cut its head off to send out. Not in a field! Nor would they leave the rest of the body on the side of the road.

That's assuming Animal Control is doing it and not Jim Bob who suspects his dogs have rabies and doesn't have money for a vet.

Not justifying it, just offering another thought in hopes it's something at least somewhat plausible and not some nut case walking among us lopping dogs' heads off.

frequentflier

happy to be living
That's assuming Animal Control is doing it and not Jim Bob who suspects his dogs have rabies and doesn't have money for a vet.

Not justifying it, just offering another thought in hopes it's something at least somewhat plausible and not some nut case walking among us lopping dogs' heads off.
A majority think it is a nut case and or gang related.

glhs837

Power with Control

Yeah, I'll take nutjob for $500, Chris. An owner who things both dogs are rabid, and cuts the head off for testing, then dumps the bodies seems a bit far out there, probability-wise.

officeguy

Jim Bob wouldn't leave the carcasses around for others to find them. Jim Bob would dig a hole in the back 40, shoot the dogs and make sure that nobody finds them.

Chris0nllyn

Jim Bob wouldn't leave the carcasses around for others to find them. Jim Bob would dig a hole in the back 40, shoot the dogs and make sure that nobody finds them.

Maybe. The last "dog story" that came out of St. Mary's was about a guy posing with the dead dog and posting them online.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Jim Bob would bury, as mentioned, creating doubt in the owner's mind or toss them in the owner's yard as a "Told ya
And the one before that was an amish guy who decided that it was his job to eliminate the park rangers dog that had gotten out of his kennel.
And was chasing deer. The Amish guy was legal.

Someone else had it. Jim Bob, you know what-that's offensive.

A farmer would bury, leaving the owner to wonder, or take them to the owner's yard as a " Told ya what would happen if your dogs kept chasing my animals".

officeguy

And was chasing deer. The Amish guy was legal.

No actually he wasn't. This was resolved with a plea agreement where he ended up doing community service. It now shows up as 'nolle prosequi', but that is the result of the deal, not because he didn't do anything wrong.

If you find a dog actively attacking your lifestock, you can still shoot it and take it up with the DNR. This dimwit shot the rangers dog on sight because he thought it was a stray.

That reminds me. There was another shot dog story in Chuck Co. In that case, someone shot the dogs and left them out (also black labs). Not sure they ever figured out who did that one.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Here's the story.

I remember this coming up at the time and you guys all crap yourselves condemning him while if, as he claimed, the dog was running deer he was legal.

Hank

my war
No actually he wasn't. This was resolved with a plea agreement where he ended up doing community service. It now shows up as 'nolle prosequi', but that is the result of the deal, not because he didn't do anything wrong.

If you find a dog actively attacking your lifestock, you can still shoot it and take it up with the DNR. This dimwit shot the rangers dog on sight because he thought it was a stray.

That reminds me. There was another shot dog story in Chuck Co. In that case, someone shot the dogs and left them out (also black labs). Not sure they ever figured out who did that one.

I remember that. I think it was in Bryantown... Oliver Shop Rd maybe.

officeguy

I remember this coming up at the time and you guys all crap yourselves condemning him while if, as he claimed, the dog was running deer he was legal.

I dont think he ever claimed that the dog was actively running deer when he shot it. He claimed that it was a stray and that he 'shot it for the public'. I believe the light sentence was a result of him receiving some credit for being a bit dense and for honestly believing that this was the right thing to do.

Just looked it up. The psychopath who killed the pitbull in Ridge managed to find the typical SMC combination of incompetent prosecutors and a sympathetic 'county' jury and got off. His behavior after he had killed the dog made clear that this was not a shooting in defense of himself or others. If you shoot a dog that was a threat to you, you call the cops, you don't post a selfie to facebook.

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Here's the latest:

UPDATE: The St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office Criminal Investigations Division is continuing the animal cruelty investigation. The Sheriff's Office is requesting public assistance with information identifying the owners of the dogs. Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Edward Vogt at (301) 475-4200 extension *8145 or by email at Edward.Vogt@stmarysmd.com. This is a very focused investigation and an update will be released later today.

Initial Release: The St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office is seeking public assistance with an ongoing animal cruelty investigation. On July 14, 2019, Deputy First Class Roszell responded to the 40400 block of Parlett Morgan Road in Mechanicsville, for the reported animal cruelty. Located in a wooded area were two deceased dogs. The dogs were determined to be Black Labrador Retrievers, both weighing over 80 pounds. The dogs had been decapitated and discarded in the wooded area. Animal Control responded to the scene, and it was determined the dogs had been discarded within the last 48 hours.

Anyone with information on the possible owners of the dogs, or anyone with information on this case, is asked to contact DFC. Rachael Roszell at (301) 475-4200 extension *8108 or by email at Rachael.Roszell@stmarysmd.com. Citizens may remain anonymous and contact Crime Solvers at (301) 475-3333, or text a tip to "TIP239" plus their message to "CRIMES" (274637). Through the Crime Solvers Program tipsters are eligible for an award of up to $1,000 for information about a crime in St. Mary's County that leads to an arrest or indictment.

BTW, this info will always be auto-posted here relatively soon after it is released:

https://forums.somd.com/forums/so-md-police-news/

mitzi

If Jim Bob suspected his dogs had rabies, seems like he would just shoot them. Why cut their heads off? That's a lot of blood and gunk to be exposed to if they had rabies. That makes no sense.

glhs837

Power with Control
Here's the latest:

UPDATE: The St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office Criminal Investigations Division is continuing the animal cruelty investigation. The Sheriff's Office is requesting public assistance with information identifying the owners of the dogs. Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Edward Vogt at (301) 475-4200 extension *8145 or by email at Edward.Vogt@stmarysmd.com. This is a very focused investigation and an update will be released later today.

Initial Release: The St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office is seeking public assistance with an ongoing animal cruelty investigation. On July 14, 2019, Deputy First Class Roszell responded to the 40400 block of Parlett Morgan Road in Mechanicsville, for the reported animal cruelty. Located in a wooded area were two deceased dogs. The dogs were determined to be Black Labrador Retrievers, both weighing over 80 pounds. The dogs had been decapitated and discarded in the wooded area. Animal Control responded to the scene, and it was determined the dogs had been discarded within the last 48 hours.

Anyone with information on the possible owners of the dogs, or anyone with information on this case, is asked to contact DFC. Rachael Roszell at (301) 475-4200 extension *8108 or by email at Rachael.Roszell@stmarysmd.com. Citizens may remain anonymous and contact Crime Solvers at (301) 475-3333, or text a tip to "TIP239" plus their message to "CRIMES" (274637). Through the Crime Solvers Program tipsters are eligible for an award of up to $1,000 for information about a crime in St. Mary's County that leads to an arrest or indictment.

BTW, this info will always be auto-posted here relatively soon after it is released:

https://forums.somd.com/forums/so-md-police-news/

And that might be the reason for the decaptitaion. To prevent chip identification.