Two dogs found decapitated, Sheriff searching for information

Chris0nllyn

If Jim Bob suspected his dogs had rabies, seems like he would just shoot them. Why cut their heads off? That's a lot of blood and gunk to be exposed to if they had rabies. That makes no sense.

Because rabies is in the brain. Decapitation is how rabies is diagnosed.
A diagnosis of rabies can be made after detection of rabies virus from any part of the affected brain, but in order to rule out rabies, the test must include tissue from at least two locations in the brain, preferably the brain stem and cerebellum.

The test requires that the animal be euthanized. The test itself takes about 2 hours, but it takes time to remove the brain samples from an animal suspected of having rabies and to ship these samples to a state public health or veterinary diagnostic laboratory for diagnosis.
https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/diagnosis/animals-humans.html

If the dogs were suspected of having it, and they didn;t want it to spread, this is the way to do it though it would make mroe sense to just bury the whole animal as pointed out.

This whole thing makes no sense.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

There is a picture with the article showing the bodies of the dogs covered with a white powder. In reading posts from the person whose property they were found on, Animal Control came out after they were called, covered the bodies with lime so other animals would not disturb them, and did not remove the carcasses. A dog rescue organization donated money to have the dogs cremated and they are currently doing a GoFundMe campaign for the reward fund to find the killers.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
That's a lot of blood and gunk to be exposed to if they had rabies.
Rabies passes via saliva only, it isn't passed through blood, tissue or air. So, if one is not bitten, or licked in the mouth, eye or a cut, chances of contracting rabies are nonexistent.

mitzi

Because rabies is in the brain. Decapitation is how rabies is diagnosed.

I know it's in the brain. My point was, Joe Farmer or the guy who couldn't afford a vet is not going to decapitate the dog if he thinks it has rabies. He's just going to shoot it.

mitzi

Rabies passes via saliva only, it isn't passed through blood, tissue or air. So, if one is not bitten, or licked in the mouth, eye or a cut, chances of contracting rabies are nonexistent.

Still, in my wildest dreams I cannot imagine someone cutting a dog's head off because he thinks it has rabies. Why? To hand it over to the authorities? It does not make any sense whatsoever.

There is a picture with the article showing the bodies of the dogs covered with a white powder. In reading posts from the person whose property they were found on, Animal Control came out after they were called, covered the bodies with lime so other animals would not disturb them, and did not remove the carcasses. A dog rescue organization donated money to have the dogs cremated and they are currently doing a GoFundMe campaign for the reward fund to find the killers.

Not to sound disgusting, but with the heat and the lime I think those dogs are going to be well past the cremation stage very soon.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Still, in my wildest dreams I cannot imagine someone cutting a dog's head off because he thinks it has rabies. Why? To hand it over to the authorities? It does not make any sense whatsoever.
Oh, I agree. I highly doubt the killing/decapitation had anything to do with rabies. I also doubt that it was Asians looking for a meal as the wouldn't have left a trace (I know, no one made such reference). I think it was simply some sick **** that had nothing better to do and whether caught or mot for this I suspect their names will be in the news soon enough for some other sick **** act.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Not to sound disgusting, but with the heat and the lime I think those dogs are going to be well past the cremation stage very soon.
The property owner sent out this update 2 hours ago:

UPDATE PLEASE SHARE: The St. Mary's County Criminal Investigation Division was here with a Detective and Evidence Technician to secure the dogs for an investigation. They have asked that I leave all communication to the public to official press releases by the SMCSO. I would encourage you to direct questions, concerns and information to Detective Edward Vogt at (301) 475-4200 extension *8145 or by email at Edward.Vogt@stmarysmd.com. An updated press release is scheduled for this afternoon with detailed information about the plan for the dogs. I have been assured that we will be kept abreast of the investigation.

I want to thank everyone that offered help, words of encouragement and donations to catch the sicko that did this. Please consider a small donation to the Go Fund Me campaign that is set up to raise the Crime Solvers Reward.

Also, from Calvert County Commission Vice President:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The Sheriff's Office really screwed this one up.

From SMNEWSNET:

UPDATE 7/16/2019 @ 12:15 p.m.: After speaking to a spokesperson from the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office, SMNEWSNET learned that dogs will not be taken to the Pawsitive Passage Pet Crematory in Leonardtown, as stated in the GoFundMe (see below), but will be collected by the sheriff’s office for further investigation.

Originally Animal Control officers covered the dogs in lime, and a citizen on Parlett Morgan Road was going to have the dogs cremated and buried together.

From The BayNet:

Summy said she has reached out to community leaders and suggest TheBayNet speak to John O'Connor.

"There is no place in our society or community for these horrific acts against innocent creatures," St. Mary's Commissioner John O'Connor said this morning (July 16). "We have an outstanding Sheriff’s Office and Animal Control staff who I know are working diligently to find the suspect."

He went onto say, "Furthermore, we have an amazing community that always comes together to help solve these types of crimes."

She said the dogs were found by her neighbor the early morning of July 14 and that the St. Mary's County Sheriffs Office responded quickly. However, it was upsetting that the dogs laid there for another 36 hours.

"I am not trying to put down the work of the county," she said. "It was upsetting to many people because they were left there for so long."

She said she doesn't know the processes of the county but wanted to make an important note about the handling of the situation.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
From the Sheriff's Office:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I bet that necropsy would be a lot more meaningful had they not left the carcasses out in the sun for another 36hrs.

Agreed. And why I said this in my previous post:

The Sheriff's Office really screwed this one up.

And highlighted this bit:

She said the dogs were found by her neighbor the early morning of July 14 and that the St. Mary's County Sheriffs Office responded quickly. However, it was upsetting that the dogs laid there for another 36 hours.

"I am not trying to put down the work of the county," she said. "It was upsetting to many people because they were left there for so long."

mitzi

I bet that necropsy would be a lot more meaningful had they not left the carcasses out in the sun for another 36hrs.

Exactly. This makes day 2 or 3 they were laying out in the elements. I saw a dog that was hit years ago on a back road that I traveled everyday. Each day was a new stage of it decomposing.

officeguy

Agreed. And why I said this in my previous post:

And highlighted this bit:

I AM putting down the 'work of the county'. Sounds like in the early stages this was a case of 'no you got it' between animal control and the sheriffs office. If they had nobody at the two agencies able to handle an animal carcass, they should have called the highway department to help them bag the two pooches and stick them in a cooler.

Hannibal

Any evidence that the dogs were involved in dog-fighting? Losing dogs are routinely dispatched if they aren't productive. Granted, the means seem a bit excessive (and unnecessary) but given the clientele that typically participate in that culture, street cred is "earned" in the strangest of ways.

officeguy

Any evidence that the dogs were involved in dog-fighting? Losing dogs are routinely dispatched if they aren't productive. Granted, the means seem a bit excessive (and unnecessary) but given the clientele that typically participate in that culture, street cred is "earned" in the strangest of ways.

If this involved pitbull carcasses, I would buy a gang or dogfighting tie-in. Black labs are either pets or hunting dogs.

Grumpy

Every time I did a refresh today "New Posts" this thread had another comment and I would hit "Mark Threads Read" so I didn't have to see this headline. This is so totally sickening to me, I wish this thread would DIAF. The cruelty of some folks is mind boggling.

black dog

Free America
black dog in case you didn't know bubba passed away. I was at alfreds
sunday and a lady was walking sunday morning and found the dogs dumped on the roadside.
no one in the area can recall seeing the dogs around that area
Thanks, I didnt know that. The only Black Lab that I ever saw in the valley was below me in one of those big houses on the other side of Miss Parletts old home. And he kept tight rein on that dag.
How is Barney Fife and his wife doing? And I gotta ask, What brought you down to the swamp and up his driveway?