U.S. Army seeks removal of Lee, ‘Stonewall’ Jackso

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Southern Discomfort: U.S. Army seeks removal of Lee, ‘Stonewall’ Jackson honors
Revisionist history would remove portraits of Confederate legends

During the inventory, an unidentified official — not the commandant, Maj. Gen. Anthony A. Cucolo III — asked the administration why the college honors two generals who fought against the United States, college spokeswoman Carol Kerr said.

“I do know at least one person has questioned why we would honor individuals who were enemies of the United States Army,” Ms. Kerr said. “There will be a dialogue when we develop the idea of what do we want the hallway to represent.”

She said one faculty member took down the portraits of Lee and Jackson and put them on the floor as part of the inventory process. That gave rise to rumors that the paintings had been removed.

“This person was struck by the fact we have quite a few Confederate images,” she said, adding that the portraits were rehung on a third-floor hallway. “[Lee] was certainly not good for the nation. This is the guy we faced on the battlefield whose entire purpose in life was to destroy the nation as it was then conceived. … This is all part of an informed discussion.”
It is the kind of historical cleansing that could spark an Army-wide debate: Lee’s portrait adorns the walls of other military installations and government buildings.

hmm

BOP

No, their collective purpose was not to destroy the nation, but to preserve the Confederacy.

They are honored not because they fought against the United States Army, but because of their brilliance, their skill, their courage, their honor, and their leadership, all forged at the United States Military Academy at West Point.

It's a shame the U.S. Army doesn't appear to know this.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Hmmm, indeed. Hopefully, wiser heads will prevail.

Lee was the "headmaster" at the college my great-great-grandfather attended not long after the War of Northern Aggression ended. I have a letter that Lee wrote to my great-great-great grandfather, describing, briefly, his positive academic progress and exemplary behavior. The latter being significant because he was sent there in the first place to extricate him from some trouble he got in to "back home" in northern Alabama immediately after the war ended.:killingme

And, I'm also related to Jackson on my father's side.

So I guess I have at least a half a dog in this fight.

Last edited:

mamatutu

mama to two
Just another attempt to revise history. It is a part of American history, and part of who we are today. What about our government's treatment of Native Americans? Is that history going to be altered/revisited, too? Give me break! What a pile of bullcrap. Enough idiocy already! Really.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
No, their collective purpose was not to destroy the nation, but to preserve the Confederacy.

They are honored not because they fought against the United States Army, but because of their brilliance, their skill, their courage, their honor, and their leadership, all forged at the United States Military Academy at West Point.

It's a shame the U.S. Army doesn't appear to know this.

AND they were US Generals.

The point should be you want to learn from the best, both from their successes and their failures.

There is also nothing wrong with respecting and honoring former enemies, in this case it has to do with healing the country and making it whole again.. there is still a rift between the North and South.. and a LOT of pride in the South and their ideals. Not honoring them would be salt in the wound..

mamatutu

mama to two
Hmmm, indeed. Hopefully, wiser heads will prevail.

Lee was the "headmaster" at the college my great-great-grandfather attended not long after the War of Northern Aggression ended. I have a letter that Lee wrote to my great-great-great grandfather, describing, briefly, his positive academic progress and exemplary behavior. The latter being significant because he was sent there in the first place to extricate him from some trouble he got in to "back home" in northern Alabama immediately after the war ended.:killingme

And, I'm also related to Jackson on my father's side.

So I guess I have at least a half a dog in this fight.

I went to school in NOLA through all grades with a boy that was a direct descendant of Stonewall Jackson. His name was Thomas Jonathan Jackson the however many, III, IV, etc. and we have been lifelong friends ever since. And, omg, was he a handsome dude back in the day! Maybe, y'all are related! :lol:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I went to school in NOLA through all grades with a boy that was a direct descendant of Stonewall Jackson. His name was Thomas Jonathan Jackson the however many, III, IV, etc. and we have been lifelong friends ever since. And, omg, was he a handsome dude back in the day! Maybe, y'all are related! :lol:

Not directly descended...different branches of the same tree. Guess the other branches got all the good looks..:whistle: