U.S. citizen was among Georgian commandos - Russia

ImnoMensa

"A U.S. passport was found in a building in South Ossetia occupied by Georgian troops, a Russian military spokesperson revealed on Thursday. After Russian peacekeepers cleared the heavily defended building, a passport belonging to a Texan named Michael Lee White was discovered inside."

RussiaToday : News : U.S. citizen was among Georgian commandos - Russian Military

KGB or CIA? :lmao:

Big friggin deal. Americans fought against the United States in Iraq too.

I imagine an American passport wouldnt be too hard to find for the Russians if they wanted one to use in their propaganda.

I would even make a bet we fought against more than one Russian in Iraq.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"

I imagine an American passport wouldnt be too hard to find for the Russians if they wanted one to use in their propaganda.

It was probably George Bush himself fighting against the Ruskies.

SamSpade

Still, I hope this is false. We absolutely have zero business getting involved in that conflict from a military standpoint. I realize credentials would be easy to fabricate, but a passport is also easily verified or disproven.

ylexot

Super Genius
Still, I hope this is false. We absolutely have zero business getting involved in that conflict from a military standpoint. I realize credentials would be easy to fabricate, but a passport is also easily verified or disproven.
Two points:
1) There were US citizens and even soldiers in Georgia. Just because a passport was found at the site of some fighting does not mean that the citizen was there at the time of the fighting.
2) If there was a US citizen fighting, they most likely would have been a spook and wouldn't be carrying a passport. :rolleyes:

ImnoMensa

Two points:
1) There were US citizens and even soldiers in Georgia. Just because a passport was found at the site of some fighting does not mean that the citizen was there at the time of the fighting.
2) If there was a US citizen fighting, they most likely would have been a spook and wouldn't be carrying a passport. :rolleyes:

Certainly a US passport is no evidence that the CIA is involved.
I am sure there are many citizens of the US who have family there they were visiting, or were perhaps just there on vacation.

SamSpade

Two points:

Oh I know. I've read a LOT about this lately, because it affects me, personally and directly - we would like to adopt again, from Russia. Sour relations could spell doom for any effort we begin, including all the money we put into it.

I've read cases where U.S. citizens were actually completing adoptions near the region.

I also know that unless you get shot, chances are good you're not LEAVING Russia without a passport. Legitimate visitors with passports and visas still have to notify the Russian government of their whereabouts, I believe every three days - or at least, that's what we had to do.

It's unlikely that a commando would have normal U.S. credentials to incriminate him - more likely, it came from an ordinary citizen.

I just know a lot of Russians do read Russia Today.

ylexot

Super Genius
I also know that unless you get shot, chances are good you're not LEAVING Russia without a passport. Legitimate visitors with passports and visas still have to notify the Russian government of their whereabouts, I believe every three days - or at least, that's what we had to do.

Ok, but South Ossetia is not Russia.