U.S. flags waived in vain at Obama's convention

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well...

I'd say it a pretty big stretch saying that not saluting the flag means you don't like our country or what it represents.

Also, I showed 2 pictures of Obama saluting the flag and one of him with his super trendy when in politics flag lapel pin.

there. happy now?

no more tears.

edit: p.s. I think it's a good thing that our country allows the freedom to salute or not salute the flag.

What's more important? The symbol of freedom, or actually having it?

...but freedom is ONLY the result of an idea, an ideology succeeding, and ideas must be nurtured and maintained to survive and one of the ways that is done, in addition to being written, is tradition and repetition.

It is symbolic of agreement with and support of those ideas when at gatherings, at public events, especially ones where were are examining and trying to decide who the keepers and protectors of those ideas might be for those folks to repeat those traditions and symbolic gestures.

To put in bluntly, how would you like to got to a wet t shirt contest where one of the participants declines wearing a wet t shirt, especially when they claim some sort of non sense, as you do, that 'what would you rather have; a wet t shirt or simply the right to wear one?"

If Barack Obama is too ####ing big and high minded to be bothered with wearing a wet t shirt, so to speak, at a wet t shirt contest, he can kiss my ass.

:buddies:

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
It's not a stretch at all with his public history. Him and his C of a wife hate this country and his wonderful "ex" church and pastor prove it!!

How about stating what issues you disagree with Obama on rather than regurgitating SPAM? :whistle:

ImnoMensa

How about stating what issues you disagree with Obama on rather than regurgitating SPAM? :whistle:

Its pretty tough to pin Obama down on issues.

He says he has them, but he never gets too specific.
He claims to have answers,but like John Effin Kerry we never hear them
He promises change but never tells us what those changes will be
We do know he likes taxes and abortion and is going to get a dog.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
How about stating what issues you disagree with Obama on rather than regurgitating FACTS? :whistle:
:fixed:

And sure I will....

1. He hates America
2. His C hates America
3. He's the most liberal dem in history
4. He'll raise taxes
5. He wants to give MY $$ to low life losers
6. See below......

Favors new drilling offshore US
JOHN McCAIN - Yes
BARAK OBAMA - No

Will appoint judges who interpret the law not make it
JOHN McCAIN Y- es
BARAK OBAMA - No

Served in the US Armed Forces
JOHN McCAIN - Yes
BARAK OBAMA - No

Amount of time served in the US Senate
JOHN McCAIN - 22 YEARS
BARAK OBAMA - 173 DAYS

Will institute a socialized national health care plan
JOHN McCAIN No
BARAK OBAMA Yes

Supports abortion throughout the pregnancy
JOHN McCAIN No
BARAK OBAMA Yes

Would pull troops out of Iraq immediately
JOHN McCAIN No
BARAK OBAMA Yes

Supports gun ownership rights
JOHN McCAIN Yes
BARAK OBAMA No

Supports homosexual marriage
JOHN McCAIN No
BARAK OBAMA Yes

Proposed programs will mean a huge tax increase
JOHN McCAIN No
BARAK OBAMA Yes

Voted against making English the official language
JOHN McCAIN No
BARAK OBAMA Yes

Voted to give Social Security benefits to illegals
JOHN McCAIN No
BARAK OBAMA Yes

CAPITAL GAINS TAX

MCCAIN - 0% on home sales up to $500,000 per home (couples). McCain does not propose any change in existing home sales income tax.

OBAMA - 28% on profit from ALL home sales. (How does this affect you? If you sell your home and make a profit, you will pay 28% of your gain on taxes. If you are heading toward retirement and would like to down-size your home or move into a retirement community, 28% of the money you make from your home will go to taxes. This proposal will adversely affect the elderly who are counting on the income from their homes as part of their retirement income.)

DIVIDEND TAX

MCCAIN - 15% (no change)

OBAMA - 39.6% - (How will this affect you? If you have any money invested in stock market, IRA, mutual funds, college funds, life insurance, retirement accounts, or anything that pays or reinvests dividends, you will now be paying nearly 40% of the money earned on taxes if Obama becomes president. The experts predict that 'Higher tax rates on dividends and capital gains would crash the stock market, yet do absolutely nothing to cut the deficit.')

INCOME TAX

MCCAIN (no changes)
Single making 30K - tax $4,500
Single making 50K - tax $12,500
Single making 75K - tax $18,750
Married making 60K- tax $9,000
Married making 75K - tax $18,750
Married making 125K - tax $31,250

OBAMA (reversion to pre-Bush tax cuts)
Single making 30K - tax $8,400
Single making 50K - tax $14,000
Single making 75K - tax $23,250
Married making 60K - tax $16,800
Married making 75K - tax $21,000
Married making 125K - tax $38,750
Under Obama, your taxes could almost double!

INHERITANCE TAX

MCCAIN - 0% (No change, Bush repealed this tax)

OBAMA - Restore the inheritance tax
Many families have lost businesses, farms, ranches, and homes that have been in their families for generations because they could not afford the inheritance tax. Those willing their assets to loved ones will only lose them to these taxes.

NEW TAXES PROPOSED BY OBAMA

New government taxes proposed on homes that are more than 2400 square feet. New gasoline taxes (as if gas weren't high enough already) New taxes on natural resources consumption (heating gas, water, electricity) New taxes on retirement accounts, and last but not least....New taxes to pay for socialized medicine so we can receive the same level of medical care as other third-world countries!!!

You can verify the above at the following web sites:

Election 2008: The candidates and your money - CNNMoney

Taxes: Election Center 2008 - CNN.com

Palin VP Pick Brings Ethical Complications - America’s Election HQ

McCain, Obama Offer Different Visions on Taxes

Fact Checker Archive by Category

Fact Checker Archive by Category

Last edited:

Xaquin44

I say, salute it or leave! We do have the symbol of freedom and also have freedom at a great cost. The least we could do is salute it. Makes me sick when someone doesn't do it for any reason, be it that they are either too lazy, don't care, have an attitude, have a choice __________ (fill in the blank). I'll bet if you lost your freedom you would pray for the day you had a flag that you could salute. So why doesn't everyone that treasures their freedom get off their rears and salute our great flag? It's not difficult. "Because I have a choice" is just stupid!

got it.

you're one o' them 'freedom as long as it's freedoms I approve of' people.

in 1776 they called those people 'British'

ImnoMensa

Its funny I only caught snatches of the convention,but I didnt see a lot of flags. Everytime I looked in all I could see were black signs with white lettering saying Obama.

Funny choice of color I thought

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
:fixed:

And sure I will....

1. He hates America
2. His C hates America
3. He's the most liberal dem in history
4. He'll raise taxes
5. He wants to give MY $$ to low life losers
6. See below......

How are those facts?

Favors new drilling offshore US
JOHN McCAIN Yes
BARAK OBAMA No

Will appoint judges who interpret the law not make it
JOHN McCAIN Yes
BARAK OBAMA No

Obama has not ruled out offshore drilling. The judges thing is your opinion (or more regurjitation).

Served in the US Armed Forces
JOHN McCAIN Yes
BARAK OBAMA No

Amount of time served in the US Senate
OHN McCAIN 22 YEARS
BARAK OBAMA 173 DAYS

True

Will institute a socialized national health care plan
JOHN McCAIN No
BARAK OBAMA Yes

False

Supports abortion throughout the pregnancy
JOHN McCAIN No
BARAK OBAMA Yes

False- how does voting no on a specific abortion bill make you in favor of all forms? BTW- McCain used to be pro-choice.

Would pull troops out of Iraq immediately
JOHN McCAIN No
BARAK OBAMA Yes

False- And haven't read what Condi has been discussing with the Iraqi's recently, have you?

Supports gun ownership rights
JOHN McCAIN Yes
BARAK OBAMA No

False- Obama supports states and citys having control over their own gun laws. Montana and Chicago don't have the same issues with guns.

Supports homosexual marriage
JOHN McCAIN No
BARAK OBAMA Yes

False- guess you are unaware of the flack Obama is taking from some GLBT groups because he won't support full fledged legal marriage (he supports civil unions, just like many Republicans do).

Proposed programs will mean a huge tax increase
JOHN McCAIN No
BARAK OBAMA Yes

See below...

Voted against making English the official language
JOHN McCAIN No
BARAK OBAMA Yes

Because otherwise immigrants would have no incentive to learn English, right? :killingme

Voted to give Social Security benefits to illegals
JOHN McCAIN No
BARAK OBAMA Yes

Oh brother......:killingme

Last edited:

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
Continued...

CAPITAL GAINS TAX

MCCAIN - 0% on home sales up to $500,000 per home (couples). McCain does not propose any change in existing home sales income tax.

OBAMA - 28% on profit from ALL home sales. (How does this affect you? If you sell your home and make a profit, you will pay 28% of your gain on taxes. If you are heading toward retirement and would like to down-size your home or move into a retirement community, 28% of the money you make from your home will go to taxes. This proposal will adversely affect the elderly who are counting on the income from their homes as part of their retirement income.)

DIVIDEND TAX

MCCAIN - 15% (no change)

OBAMA - 39.6% - (How will this affect you? If you have any money invested in stock market, IRA, mutual funds, college funds, life insurance, retirement accounts, or anything that pays or reinvests dividends, you will now be paying nearly 40% of the money earned on taxes if Obama becomes president. The experts predict that 'Higher tax rates on dividends and capital gains would crash the stock market, yet do absolutely nothing to cut the deficit.')

INCOME TAX

MCCAIN (no changes)
Single making 30K - tax $4,500
Single making 50K - tax $12,500
Single making 75K - tax $18,750
Married making 60K- tax $9,000
Married making 75K - tax $18,750
Married making 125K - tax $31,250

OBAMA (reversion to pre-Bush tax cuts)
Single making 30K - tax $8,400
Single making 50K - tax $14,000
Single making 75K - tax $23,250
Married making 60K - tax $16,800
Married making 75K - tax $21,000
Married making 125K - tax $38,750
Under Obama, your taxes could almost double!

INHERITANCE TAX

MCCAIN - 0% (No change, Bush repealed this tax)

OBAMA - Restore the inheritance tax
Many families have lost businesses, farms, ranches, and homes that have been in their families for generations because they could not afford the inheritance tax. Those willing their assets to loved ones will only lose them to these taxes.

From CNN: "The estate tax affects a tiny number of small or family-owned businesses. A 2005 report by the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center found that in 2004, when the exemption was at $1.5 million, just 440 small businesses and farms were hit with the tax."

"Both major-party presidential candidates, Republican John McCain and Democrat Barack Obama, agree on two things: that the estate tax should not revert back to its pre-2001 state, and that it should not be fully repealed. (A permanent repeal would cost $522 billion in lost tax revenue over the next decade, according to the Treasury Department's evaluation of President Bush's 2009 budget proposals.) The candidates also both support indexing the estate tax to accommodate inflation."

Read the whole thing, please: The estate tax: McCain vs. Obama - Aug. 6, 2008

NEW TAXES PROPOSED BY OBAMA

New government taxes proposed on homes that are more than 2400 square feet. New gasoline taxes (as if gas weren't high enough already) New taxes on natural resources consumption (heating gas, water, electricity) New taxes on retirement accounts, and last but not least....New taxes to pay for socialized medicine so we can receive the same level of medical care as other third-world countries!!!

Again from one of you own links:

DEMOCRATS
Barack Obama
Opposed extending 2003 Bush tax cut law through 2010. Supports eliminating marriage penalty and extending child tax credit. Proposes a "making work pay" tax credit of up to $500 per person, or $1,000 per working family. Proposes eliminating income taxes for seniors making less than $50,000 per year and eliminating all capital gains taxes on start-ups and small businesses. Says he would reform the child and dependent care tax credit by making it refundable and allowing low-income families to receive up to a 50 percent credit for child care expenses. Favors tax cuts for middle-class workers and tax increases for top earners. Says he would restore the top two income tax rates to their pre-2001 levels of 36 percent and 39.6 percent. (Currently, they're 33 percent and 35 percent.) Says he would maintain the estate tax but would freeze the estate tax exemption amount at $3.5 million. Proposes to create an "American opportunity tax credit," which the Obama campaign describes as "a fully refundable credit" that "will ensure that the first $4,000 of a college education is completely free for most Americans and would cover two-thirds the cost of tuition at the average public college or university." CNNMoney: More on Obama and personal taxes | Business taxes | Taxing wealth | Watch Obama speak about taxes

REPUBLICANS
John McCain
Voted against 2001 and 2003 Bush tax cut laws, but later voted in favor of extending tax cuts through 2010. Says he would keep the current rates on dividends and capital gains, and maintain the current income and investment tax rates. Says he opposes a proposal supporters call the "Fair Tax," which would repeal income taxes and other taxes and abolish the Internal Revenue, but has previously said he would sign it into law as president. Says he would double the child deduction from $3,500 to $7,000 and permanently repeal the alternative minimum tax. Says he would reduce the corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 25 percent. Advocates raising the exemption from taxation on estates up to $10 million while cutting the tax rate to 15 percent. Proposes that a three-fifths majority vote in Congress be required to raise taxes. Says he would permit corporations to immediately deduct the cost of equipment investment. Would prohibit new cellular telephone taxes and ban Internet taxes. Wants to establish a permanent tax credit equal to 10 percent of wages spent on research and development. CNNMoney: More on McCain and personal taxes | Business taxes | Taxing wealth

And from AARP

"McCain, a four-term Arizona senator, twice voted against Bush's tax cuts, probably the significant domestic accomplishment of his presidency, but now embraces them and wants to permanently extend them for low-income and high-income people alike. He also long has said he would eliminate the AMT, and while some middle-income taxpayers would benefit, so would the wealthy, who no longer would have to pay it.

Obama, the first-term Illinois senator, wasn't in the Senate when they first passed, but he's willing to go along with permanently extending them except for their chief beneficiaries, the rich. Those who make more than $250,000 a year would see their taxes increase; Bush's tax cuts for them would be rolled back. Obama would extend and index the current AMT patch.

In the vein of taxing the rich more, Obama also supports making some higher wage-earners pay Social Security taxes on more of their income. He has called for higher payroll taxes on wage-earners making more than $250,000 annually, a step that would affect the wealthiest 3 percent of Americans.

The 6.2 percent payroll tax is now applied to all wages up to $102,000 a year, which covers the entire amount for most Americans. Under Obama's plan, the tax would not apply to wages between that amount and $250,000. But Obama has said all annual salaries above the quarter-million-dollar amount would be taxed under his plan."
[/quote]

I did...have a nice day.

Last edited:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
How are those facts?

Obama has not ruled out offshore drilling. The judges thing is your opinion (or more regurjitation).

True

False

False- how does voting no on a specific abortion bill make you in favor of all forms? BTW- McCain used to be pro-choice.

False- And haven't read what Condi has been discussing with the Iraqi's recently, have you?

False- Obama supports states and citys having control over their own gun laws. Montana and Chicago don't have the same issues with guns.

False- guess you are unaware of the flack Obama is taking from some GLBT groups because he won't support full fledged legal marriage (he supports civil unions, just like many Republicans do).

See below...

Because otherwise immigrants would have no incentive to learn English, right? :killingme

Oh brother......:killingme
You ask what I don't like about him then you post a bunch of True/False with no proof. :smack: Your opinions mean nothing. Then you spin. Nice move Demmy. :duh:

Facts really mess you dems up don't they?

Did ya look at the income tax scale? Where do you fall? How high are your taxes going up if he gets in??

ylexot

Super Genius
I would just like to point out that the National Anthem is different from the Pledge of Allegiance.

ylexot

Super Genius
true true, but for civilians, the action is the same.

My point was that calgirl was slamming Obama for not doing the Pledge of Allegiance, but then showed the picture of him during the National Anthem. She should at least get her facts straight.

BTW, growing up, I went to many sporting events and was never taught to put hand over heart during the anthem. Never noticed others doing it either. Ok, so that's not proper etiquette, but I'm not going to fault Obama for that. There are plenty of other things that he can be slammed for.

Xaquin44

My point was that calgirl was slamming Obama for not doing the Pledge of Allegiance, but then showed the picture of him during the National Anthem. She should at least get her facts straight.

BTW, growing up, I went to many sporting events and was never taught to put hand over heart during the anthem. Never noticed others doing it either. Ok, so that's not proper etiquette, but I'm not going to fault Obama for that. There are plenty of other things that he can be slammed for.

true =)

I was taught (when in civilian attire) to either hold your right hand over your heart or if you had a hat in your hand (removed at start of music) you should stand at parade rest.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Its pretty tough to pin Obama down on issues.

He says he has them, but he never gets too specific.
He claims to have answers,but like John Effin Kerry we never hear them
He promises change but never tells us what those changes will be
We do know he likes taxes and abortion and is going to get a dog.

Oh and did they mention, I'm half White!!! :whistle: