U.S. Patent Office Cancels Trademark For Redskins Football

So... what will work for a new politically correct name... Washington All-Inclusives and their fight song could be "We Are the World"...:starcat:

NextJen

Raisin cane
Let's think about this for a moment. This is about money, and it's about marketing. I say change the name to Superskins. Leave the helmet red, leave the white circle with the yellow rim around it on the sides, just take the Indian logo out of the middle of that circle. What do you get? A condom! A condom called Superskin! Danny could hook up with some condom manufacturer and market them during games! A win all the way around!

Let's think about this for a moment. This is about money, and it's about marketing. I say change the name to Superskins. Leave the helmet red, leave the white circle with the yellow rim around it on the sides, just take the Indian logo out of the middle of that circle. What do you get? A condom! A condom called Superskin! Danny could hook up with some condom manufacturer and market them during games! A win all the way around!

Jen, you are brilliant. :notworthy:

Ah, but without a trademark can they legally license their memorabilia?

This is bull####.

They would still have trademark rights. As with copyrights, registration is not required in order to have ownership of a mark. You can own that mark based on your commercial usage of it, and the context (e.g. as a candy brand or as a line of hotels) in which you own it depends on details of your usage of it.

But there are a number of advantages to having a federally registered trademark and that registration can make it easier to bring and win infringement cases.

jkeller

They should rename the team Washington Savages; and no, I am not being racist when saying that, I believe anyone who thinks they need to change the name is a savage. Anyone who believes that is anti-free enterprise, anti-American Dream, and so many other unAmerican things.

Also, I heard from someone a while back that a Native American helped draft the original team's logo. (Is this true?) I do realize the term can be derogatory, but I don't believe it is in the sense of the name of a sports team.

Once the Redskins, always the Redskins.