Uc

KDENISE977

My husband has pretty bad UC and is having a flare up right now...it's been years since he's had to deal with this. He takes his meds every day and hasn't missed any, but I can't remember what to feed him or how to make it stop? He's been on chicken broth for 2 days now and no food...it's not helping.

Roman

I have the same problem, and when I have flare-ups, I eat bland stuff. No alcohol, and no spicy foods. Seeds & nuts should be avoided too. Anything that is hard to digest should not be eaten. He should make an appointment with his Gastro Doctor if it doesn't clear up soon.

Vince

I have the same problem, and when I have flare-ups, I eat bland stuff. No alcohol, and no spicy foods. Seeds & nuts should be avoided too. Anything that is hard to digest should not be eaten. He should make an appointment with his Gastro Doctor if it doesn't clear up soon.
That plus nothing like corn or anything rough on the colon. My sons was so bad they could do nothing for him except surgery. He fought it for years.

Roman

That plus nothing like corn or anything rough on the colon. My sons was so bad they could do nothing for him except surgery. He fought it for years.
I feel for your Son. I was just diagnosed 4 years ago, and it is hell to say the least. Good luck to him, and I hope he is doing well.

KDENISE977

Can't eat anything. Not even chicken broth. He's on prednisone and Gatorade. We are trying a piece of bread now

Roman

Can't eat anything. Not even chicken broth. He's on prednisone and Gatorade. We are trying a piece of bread now
Not trying to worry you, but he really needs to see his Doctor. Gatorade is not all that, and can be bad if you have too much. Get some bananas that might help replace some of the potassium he's loosing. If his Doc told him to drink the Gatorade, then do what the Doc said. I hope he gets well soon.

KDENISE977

Yes. He needs his doctor but it's Sunday not like he's available. My MIL is a PA, but she's in Maine. We are trying.

Vince

I feel for your Son. I was just diagnosed 4 years ago, and it is hell to say the least. Good luck to him, and I hope he is doing well.
He had two surgeries about 5 years ago. One to remove the entire large intestine and reconstruction. On a colostomy bag for 6 months while he healed up. Second surgery to remove the bag and reconnect. He's doing very well. UC is gone, but there are drawbacks to just having a small intestine.

KDENISE977

My husband was hospitalized for 3 weeks about 5years ago to get it controlled. It was horrible. We are trying to get to see his GI doctor today.

Bananas. I forgot about that!!! Thanks !

Roman

He had two surgeries about 5 years ago. One to remove the entire large intestine and reconstruction. On a colostomy bag for 6 months while he healed up. Second surgery to remove the bag and reconnect. He's doing very well. UC is gone, but there are drawbacks to just having a small intestine.
The draw back to having just the small intestines , are probably not near as bad as what he was going through when he had the large. I am heading toward surgery myself in the near future. Keep us posted KDENISE, and well wishes to you, and your Husband.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I don't have UC but my lower GI is broken. When it gets really bad I go on the BRAT diet until it gets better (bananas, rice, apple sauce, and toast) I can't eat bananas though, they give me heart burn. I guess that would be the RAT diet for me.

Roman

I don't have UC but my lower GI is broken. When it gets really bad I go on the BRAT diet until it gets better (bananas, rice, apple sauce, and toast) I can't eat bananas though, they give me heart burn. I guess that would be the RAT diet for me.
Great idea Misfit! I forgot about the BRAT, or in your case, the RAT Diet. Take some Tums before, or after eating a Banana. Good luck to you too.

KDENISE977

Great idea

Attachments

• image-2635756524.jpg
    image-2635756524.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 194

Roman

He's not any better, he called the Dr, this a.m. an hasn't gotten a return call. He may need a new Dr :ohwell:
I go to Dr. Mills in Waldorf. She's great. GI Associates of Maryland 12070 Old Line Center Suite 200, Waldorf 20602 (301) 850-6922. I'd be embarrassed if this is your Husband's Doctor. I got seen right away, when other GI Docs had a 3 month waiting list. I went in on a Monday, and had the colonoscopy that Wednesday. A very nice, and caring Staff too. Good luck to your Husband. Take care of yourself too.