Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Georges(Rush) St-Pierre

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I think...

...Hughes wins the rubber match.

I think Silva is a better all around fighter than Chuck.

Having said that, we all know 'favored' means nothing when one good punch or kick finds the mark.

tugboater

Miller Tang Soo Do Rocks
St. Pierre (15-2) forced Hughes to verbally submit to an armbar with a mere six seconds remaining in the second round.

Hughes, now 41-6, looked way out of his league in his rubber match with the French Canadian as he was taken down almost at will. And whenever St. Pierre had Hughes on his back, he easily rained down strikes. Hughes seemed lost on the canvas, which was surprising considering how much punishment he'd administered throughout his illustrious career from the same positions.

But St. Pierre was relentless and late in the first round he secured the full mount. Hughes couldn't break free from the pressure as St. Pierre was all over the farmer like dirt on a worm's back. Even when Hughes switched positions or fought back to get onto his feet, St. Pierre was in his face dishing out punches and kicks or simply slamming him back down onto the canvas.

From the get-go, it looked as if St. Pierre was going to throttle Hughes and he did, even though Hughes came in with a slightly different look.

"Matt Hughes adjusts himself," a jolly St. Pierre said immediately following his triumph. "He came into the fight left-handed. I was not prepared for that (but) I used my wrestling skill to control the fight. And my submission skill as well; I've been working a lot on that. I had an awesome training camp. I was on the top of my game."

tugboater

Miller Tang Soo Do Rocks
I want to see a rematch with Rich (No Love)Clementi and Melvin Guillard.Man is there some bad blood with those two.I don't think it's over with those two yet.

I want to see a rematch with Rich (No Love)Clementi and Melvin Guillard.Man is there some bad blood with those two.I don't think it's over with those two yet.

They are both cocky boys aren't they! It sure was heated ... before, during and after! :lol:

tugboater

Miller Tang Soo Do Rocks
UFC 79 Salaries

UFC 79 took place Saturday, Dec. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. Georges St. Pierre defeated Matt Hughes in the night's main event to claim the UFC's interim welterweight title, and Chuck Liddell rebounded from the first back-to-back losses of his career with a unanimous-decision victory over Wanderlei Silva

Liddell was the event's big winner with a base salary of $500,000, St. Pierre was second with $160,000, and Silva was third with $150,000.

The total disclosed payroll for UFC 79 was a hefty $1,199,000.

The full results as reported to MMAjunkie.com (UFC News & Rumors - MMA News - UFC Fighters - UFC Event Recaps and Previews - MMAjunkie.com) include:

Georges St. Pierre ($160,000) def. Matt Hughes ($100,000)
Chuck Liddell ($500,000) def. Wanderlei Silva ($150,000)
Eddie Sanchez ($46,000) def. Soa Palelei ($5,000)
Lyoto Machida ($60,000) def. Rameau Sokoudjou ($40,0O0)
Rich Clementi ($28,000) def. Melvin Guillard ($10,000)
James Irvin ($16,000) def. Luis Cane ($5,000)
Manny Gamburyan ($20,000) def. Nate Mohr ($6,000)
Dean Lister ($22,000) def. Jordan Radev ($5,000)
Roan Carneiro ($10,000) def. Tony DeSouza ($7,000)
Mark Bocek ($6,000) def. Doug Evans ($3,000)
All the winning fighters except Liddell received pay that awarded 50 percent "to show" and 50 percent as a "win bonus." For example, Machida earned $30,000 to show and an additional $30,000 for his victory for $60,000 total. Each of the night's losing fighters (except Silva) could have doubled his salary with a victory.

Now, the usual disclaimer: the figures do not include deductions for items such as insurance, licenses and taxes. Additionally, the figures do not include money paid by sponsors, which can oftentimes be a substantial portion of a fighterâs income. They also do not include any bonuses paid to some of the main-card fighters who sometimes earn a small cut of pay-per-view revenue. They also do not include other non-disclosed/"locker-room" bonuses the UFC sometimes pays.

In other words, these are simply base salaries reported to the CSAC and do not represent the total amounts earned by each fighter.

The figures also do not include the $50,000 Knockout of the Night, Submission of the Night, and Fight of the Night bonuses. Sanchez (knockout), St. Pierre (submission), Liddell (fight) and Silva (fight) each earned an additional $50,000 for the awards.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
And what...

...is the PPV, 500,000 or so at $40 give or take?

$20 mil

Gate; maybe 10,000 at $100 average? $1 mil???

So, UFC might be paying the gate to the fighters and keeping the PPV?

Sound close at all?

Then they sell it again to advertisers when it goes to TV and/or dvd.

I know they gotta spend a ton on promotion.

Interesting...