UFC FANS Injury Forces Serra out

tugboater

Miller Tang Soo Do Rocks
The UFC welterweight championship will be contested for just once in 2007.

Matt Serra (Pictures), who claimed the belt with a shocking win over Georges St. Pierre (Pictures) this April, suffered herniated discs in his lower back Monday, forcing him to withdraw from his anticipated Dec. 29 title defense against former two-time 170-pound champion Matt Hughes (Pictures), the UFC announced Thursday.

Serra and Hughes, who share a healthy rivalry, are coaches on "The Ultimate Fighter 6" and would have fought in the co-main event of UFC 79 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.

According to UFC.com, Serra, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt under Renzo Gracie (Pictures), was injured while demonstrating a move following one of his training sessions. A subsequent MRI revealed the severity of the injury.

"This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do," Serra said in a statement on UFC.com. "I've never had a back injury before; I could hardly get off of the MRI table. There is no way I can train through this, and I'm devastated, especially because this was such an important fight. I was looking forward to fighting Matt Hughes (Pictures). All my training was going phenomenally until Monday. All I can do now is to get better and to fight again as soon as possible."

T

toppick08

You are an #######. I hope to one day meet you in person so I can slap the stupid out of you. I hate MPD's and you are by far the worst.

Grow up. You got a beef with me then be man enough to come to me.

You need any help, let me know.:buddies:

tugboater

Miller Tang Soo Do Rocks
Matt Hughes Responds to Serra Injury

As of now, Matt Serra is out of the fight because of a herniated disc in his lower back. I believe Serra is actually hurt, so I don’t think this is just a ploy not to fight. Before my Royce fight, I had three bulged discs that I was able to repair enough to fight. As everybody knows you never go into a fight 100%. So, I’m just going to continue to train until I find out what’s next. -Matt

tugboater

Miller Tang Soo Do Rocks
GSP Faces Hughes for interim title

One day following the news that UFC 170-pound champion Matt Serra had withdrawn from his Dec. 29 title defense against Matt Hughes because of injury, the UFC announced Georges St. Pierre would fight Hughes for an interim title.

St. Pierre and Hughes have fought twice, splitting the bouts. Hughes recaptured the welterweight belt after it was vacated by B.J. Penn in the first fight, while St. Pierre stopped Hughes in the rematch to capture the UFC belt.

"I'm so excited to get this fight," said St. Pierre in a statement on UFC.com. "I'm fighting Matt Hughes for the interim title right now, and then after that I'm going to go after Serra. I've wanted that rematch against Serra, and this is the best scenario that can happen."

"Rush" lost the title to Serra in February of this year. The division championship, due mainly to the UFC promoting a Serra-Hughes title fight via the sixth season of "The Ultimate Fighter," which concludes in December, has been in hiatus, having only been up for grabs once in 2007. St. Pierre-Hughes is slated for five five-minute rounds.

The current champion, desperately wanting to fight Hughes, is now relegated to cheering for the former two-time UFC king.

"I can't believe the position this puts me in," Serra said on UFC.com. "I'm actually rooting for Matt Hughes (Pictures) so I can beat his ass