Ulcer meds

R

riderup

Anyone have any opinions on non-prescription ulcer meds in horses? Specifically Tractgard and U-Gard powder.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
riderup said:
Anyone have any opinions on non-prescription ulcer meds in horses? Specifically Tractgard and U-Gard powder.

Ulcer guard is great..my babies were on it for 8 weeks when they were sick..also can use tagamet HD

devinej

i'm using Uguard powder now for maintenance, but only after he was on Rx Ranitidine pills for a month or so when the vet said he probably had ulcers, and there was definite improvement after 1 or 2 weeks of ranitidine! its not crazy expensive like gastroguard and whatever that other new one is that comes in tube form. And still no sign of reoccurence with the Uguard.

R

riderup

What were your horses symptoms? I think/hope I am catching this early, if it is really ulcers.

devinej

he wasn't keeping weight well, irritability - wasn't his usual chipper, friendly, happy to be riden self, his coat was growing in poorly after being body clipped (plus we'd just changed barns twice in a month...and his food had changed from a mix of sweet feed, beat pulp, and strategy to alll strategy). ulcers are tricky and more common than one may think i believe. i read a study - they had a group of horses that were ulcer free that went to a show, and 8 out of 20 developed an ulcer(s). the control group of ulcer free horses stayed in their field, and 3 out of 20 developed an ulcer(s). (i think those were the numbers, i can't remember where i found that study)

covekat

I have used U7, the horses love it and I would match it up against Gastroguard.

I had a TB that came to us with horrible ulcers, we put him on the Gastroguard and cleared him up. The horse left our barn and ended up back with us about 6 months later, again, with ulcers. This time I used U7 and saw immediate results at a fraction of the cost of the Gastroguard.

R

riderup

Thanks, I am trying a couple different ones, and keeping my fingers crossed... I am trying to avoid a trip to Leesburg and a scope.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
devinej said:
he wasn't keeping weight well, irritability - wasn't his usual chipper, friendly, happy to be riden self, his coat was growing in poorly after being body clipped (plus we'd just changed barns twice in a month...and his food had changed from a mix of sweet feed, beat pulp, and strategy to alll strategy). ulcers are tricky and more common than one may think i believe. i read a study - they had a group of horses that were ulcer free that went to a show, and 8 out of 20 developed an ulcer(s). the control group of ulcer free horses stayed in their field, and 3 out of 20 developed an ulcer(s). (i think those were the numbers, i can't remember where i found that study)

My guy does great on Strategy.. :yay:

R

riderup

Might be wishful thinking, but I swear I see an improvement already. Hopefully I caught it early, or it wasn't ulcers after all..