Unemployment Woes

Any one else out there (still unemployed!!). Have been out of work since last September and I just can't find work. All I want is an admin job and the responses back from prospective employees say: "You're one of 200 applicants out there whose resume I have to review!!" (So in other words, forget it buddy you don't have a chance at this job!)
Trying to hang in there.....

J

justhangn

Has "changing fields" come to mind??

Can you make a sandwich??

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
If you are willing to commute expand your job search to dc. I work in dc and have head hunters calling regularly trying to get me to go work for another company in dc. Seems dc doesn't haven't enough qualified people to employ.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by justhangn
Has "changing fields" come to mind??

Can you make a sandwich??

:roflmao: You and Biscuit must be brothers! :roflmao:

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
Originally posted by RabbitLady
Any one else out there (still unemployed!!). Have been out of work since last September and I just can't find work. All I want is an admin job and the responses back from prospective employees say: "You're one of 200 applicants out there whose resume I have to review!!" (So in other words, forget it buddy you don't have a chance at this job!)
Trying to hang in there.....

Hang in there, RL. I was once in the same boat. Had to bite the bullet and take a really low paying job until I found my current one. I hope you have better luck soon!

Kismet

:sad:... I never thought I'd PRAY that some idiot restraunt, or retail place would return my calls & resumes about employment. I've been here since October of last year ( moved when I gaot married), and I cannot find a single job. If I could work nights, like a teenager, who doesnt have children, it would be different, but I have to work days, in order to save on child care costs. And then, child care is a whole new animal in this area of the country when youre kid is over 6 yrs old it seems....

If your'e not an engineer in this area of the county, or something of the sort, or military involved, youre screwed.

I am so frustrated by not having my own money to spend, i'm going nuts!!!:twitch:

This county is nice to visit, but i really detest having to live here. This place is as close to pathetic, (as far as making a living without a huge college degree)as it gets.

I still hate the thought of waiting tables, but being able to feel like a "normal" human being with a job would be nice right about now....

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by Kismet
:sad:... I never thought I'd PRAY that some idiot restraunt, or retail place would return my calls & resumes about employment. I've been here since October of last year ( moved when I gaot married), and I cannot find a single job. If I could work nights, like a teenager, who doesnt have children, it would be different, but I have to work days, in order to save on child care costs. And then, child care is a whole new animal in this area of the country when youre kid is over 6 yrs old it seems....

If your'e not an engineer in this area of the county, or something of the sort, or military involved, youre screwed.

I am so frustrated by not having my own money to spend, i'm going nuts!!!:twitch:

This county is nice to visit, but i really detest having to live here. This place is as close to pathetic, (as far as making a living without a huge college degree)as it gets.

I still hate the thought of waiting tables, but being able to feel like a "normal" human being with a job would be nice right about now....

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I have a part time job, but since I HAVE worked for about 30 years...collecting unemployment is nice, too...
:biggrin:

SxyPrincess

Kis,

I don't get it. :confused: I'm assuming your husband works days and you have the children. Why wouldn't you be able to work evenings...say at a retail store? Even if it is only for a few hours, that's better than nothing, right?

I commute to DC where I work an exhausting full-time job. Well, not the job, but the drive to and from. Have you considered a little travel to make some $$?

chuckster

IMFUBARED
I registered at jobsniper.com and every week I get a list of jobs in the area of my choice in the career field I want. There is no charge and every week I receive a list by e mail. Give it a try and good luck to you

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
:yeahthat: I bust my hump every day to make the commute back and forth to dc. And as I mentioned earlier, I have headhunters calling me and begging me to take other job offers. So there are jobs available, it just depends on whether or not it is worth it to you.

Kismet

Nope. Hubby works nights, 1:30 pm until after midnight.
Since Im relatively "new", and the people around me are hard as heck to get to know, its difficult to find child care for an 8 yr old after 6pm anywhere around here.

Driving wouldnt be so bad. If I knew the freaking area well enough.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Well, I am not originally from here either and I can make it back and forth to dc - it's easy, follow the signs LOL. But actually if you see a job - mapquest it and ask the person you are calling for an interview for directions, they'll have 'em handy. There is also the Keller bus line if your new job has the right hours and you can ride the bus to dc everyday. Heck I wish I could do that. Actually I wish SoMd had a metro stop...

OK now its' my turn to respond since I started this "conversation". My situation is this" I moved here 15 years ago and decided to stay home those years to raise 4 children. I have a college degree and always wanted to teach. But after substitute teaching at the elementary, middle and high school levels, I said "forget it" The kids (especially the girls !) are so disrespectful. So a few years ago when all four children were finally in school I was ready to reenter the workforce. With no computer skills (couldn't afford to go to school for these classes) I waas quite "green" in the job world. However, I obtained a nice admin job in Crystal City where the company gave me some good computer classes.. But I hated the work, and no one taught me what to do, so at times I was lost on the job. The ladies in the office were so "stuck up" and the commute was wearing me down. So I was able to find an admin job locally ...but I took a big cut in pay to work in the area. I loved the job, except for the manager. She proceeded to make my job "Hell" and then conveniently "eliminated" my position when the office moved.
My situation is this: I feel that too many people in this are are intimidated by my degree. Also, my first two admin jobs lasted about a year each, and I know employers want to see more longevity on the job. Then when I try to find a full-time retail job, the pay is so low. Keep in mind, that I all ready have a part-time retail job nights which I'm making about a big $8.25 an hour. I don't mean to be snobbish...but I'm over 35 years of age and really can't stomach to work for minimum wage. (No..at my part-time job there are NO full-time positions!)

OK guys...any good advice out there?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Kismet

By chance have you looked at the employment classifieds on this site? I just looked and not really knowing your qualifications there are some jobs that stand out right away for your predicament. One is if you can cook there is one looking for someone to prepare lunches for a daycare facility part-time but hey it's a job.

K

Kain99

I think Mig gave very good advice. Look in D.C. You could even check into Federal Gov't Jobs.

In all honesty, I'd be suprised if the Gov't Contractors in the area were intimidated by your degree.

Capstone Corporation is planning a large hiring campaign. The owner has already placed an Ad on SOMD's Employment Page. He's a great guy and you couldn't ask for a better Boss.

While he is not hiring today, he will be hiring very soon. He's asking for Resume's now so that when the time comes he's ready to go.

Change your outlook some... I know it's hard. Employeers will pick up on your desperation and be hesitant to hire you.

Also I wouldn't mention all of the personal problems you've had in your previous positions. Unfair or not employeers will automatically make a judgement that will most likely not be favorable.

Good Luck!

K

Kain99

Oh! I was under the impression that 6 months of unemployment had worn her down. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

SxyPrincess

RL,

Depending on your type of degree, my company may have some options open for you. I work in NE, D of C at a small law firm. At the moment, I think we are hiring for project assistants and grant writing/research. The pay is well above minimum wage, somewhere in the high 30's to 40's. If you're interested, send me a pm and I'll give you more details that are available.