Unions being unions - taking your money even though it is illegal to do so

This_person

In the wake of the Supreme Court’s ruling in Janus v AFSCME, it appeared as if the question had been settled. The state cannot force public sector workers who are not members of a union to pay dues (or “fair share fees”) to that union to support its political speech. This practice is a violation of the worker’s First Amendment rights. But it seems that at least one teacher’s union in Pennsylvania didn’t get the memo. They’re still doing it, and now a few of their victims are taking them to court. (Free Beacon)

"Pennsylvania teachers’ unions continue to include mandatory fees from nonmembers in new contracts despite a Supreme Court decision that declared coercive payments unconstitutional, according to a lawsuit.

"The lawsuit comes in the wake of the 2018 Janus v. American Federation of State County & Municipal Employees ruling. The 5-4 decision said that government agencies violated the First Amendment rights of workers if they required employees to pay dues or fees to labor organizations. Democratic Pennsylvania governor Tom Wolf, who did not respond to requests for comment, benefited from nearly $6 million in PAC spending from government unions during his reelection campaign.

"One non-union teacher suing to enforce the Janus ruling in Pennsylvania called the situation “absurd.”"​

SamSpade

And the union's typical response to this is, you - the non-union member - are reaping the benefits of decades of union efforts, from vacation days, weekends, health and education benefits, the whole shooting match. They see it as justified that future workers should pay for the efforts of the union.

To which I snarkily reply - so you're not REALLY doing anything for the workers, are you? It's all for yourself - which is what THEY are doing.

black dog

Free America
a 40 hr work week was on the Nazi Platform in 33

Go and read about working conditions here before unions. Do you think Walmart would be what is is today if Local labor Unions were doing the labor Negotiations?

Some of the perks that Unions brought about.

36 Reasons Why You Should Thank a Union
Weekends
All Breaks at Work, including your Lunch Breaks
Paid Vacation
FMLA
Sick Leave
Social Security
Minimum Wage
Civil Rights Act/Title VII (Prohibits Employer Discrimination)
8-Hour Work Day
Overtime Pay
Child Labor Laws
Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
40 Hour Work Week
Worker's Compensation (Worker's Comp)
Unemployment Insurance
Pensions
Workplace Safety Standards and Regulations
Employer Health Care Insurance
Collective Bargaining Rights for Employees
Wrongful Termination Laws
Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
Whistleblower Protection Laws
Employee Polygraph Protect Act (Prohibits Employer from using a lie detector test on an employee)
Veteran's Employment and Training Services (VETS)
Compensation increases and Evaluations (Raises)
Sexual Harassment Laws
Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
Holiday Pay
Employer Dental, Life, and Vision Insurance
Privacy Rights
Pregnancy and Parental Leave
Military Leave
The Right to Strike
Public Education for Children
Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 (Requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work)
Laws Ending Sweatshops in the United States

This_person

Go and read about working conditions here before unions. Do you think Walmart would be what is is today if Local labor Unions were doing the labor Negotiations?

Weekends
Paid Vacation
FMLA
Sick Leave
Social Security
Minimum Wage
8-Hour Work Day
Overtime Pay
Child Labor Laws
40 Hour Work Week
Unemployment Insurance
Pensions
Employee Polygraph Protect Act (Prohibits Employer from using a lie detector test on an employee)
Sexual Harassment Laws
Holiday Pay
Privacy Rights
Military Leave
The Right to Strike
Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 (Requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work)
That's all interesting and everything, but the thread is about a person's right to NOT be in a union, and not to PAY a union that person does not want to be in.

You agree with THAT right, right?

This_person

Weekends
Paid Vacation
FMLA
Sick Leave
Social Security
Minimum Wage
8-Hour Work Day
Overtime Pay
Child Labor Laws
40 Hour Work Week
Unemployment Insurance
Pensions
Sexual Harassment Laws
Holiday Pay
Privacy Rights
Military Leave
The Right to Strike
I read crap like this and all I can hear is the stereotypic mother who's done something horrific to her kid, the kid complains, and the mother says, "36 hours!! I was in labor with you for 36 hours!!!"

Yeah, and so what?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Weekends
Paid Vacation
FMLA
Sick Leave
Social Security
Minimum Wage
8-Hour Work Day
Overtime Pay
Child Labor Laws
40 Hour Work Week
Unemployment Insurance
Pensions
Sexual Harassment Laws
Holiday Pay
Privacy Rights
Military Leave
The Right to Strike
Dang. My dirtbag employer provides none of those things. I think we need a union.

This_person

Dang. My dirtbag employer provides none of those things. I think we need a union.
Notice two things on the list: Collective Bargaining Rights for Employees & The Right to Strike.

So, unions gave us the right to have......unions.

Another on the list is Privacy Rights. We have unions to thank for the fourth amendment?

The rest of the things on the list are laws. Apparently, the list is the union's way of saying, "we own the legislatures, so you better be nice to us" :lmao:

CPUSA

Notice two things on the list: Collective Bargaining Rights for Employees & The Right to Strike.

So, unions gave us the right to have......unions.

These are the only 2 things Henry Ford DIDN"T provide for his employees without Unions strong arming him...

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Weekends
Paid Vacation
FMLA
Sick Leave
Social Security
Minimum Wage
8-Hour Work Day
Overtime Pay
Child Labor Laws
40 Hour Work Week
Unemployment Insurance
Pensions
Sexual Harassment Laws
Holiday Pay
Privacy Rights
Military Leave
The Right to Strike
I'm pretty sure most know Unions were organized and created to level the field with the worker and employer, (Since not all employers, businesses, back in the day, treated their workers with respect and dignity, and saw them as only as a means to an end, and as disposable), in the aspect of providing safe working conditions, fair wages, etc. But public unions are an abomination that pit the taxpayer against the civil servant when government, already provided sufficient protections and treatment. And those that do not work in the trades, such as you do, will never know really how much a Trade Union is still needed today. Sure, at times, Unions are blamed for creating problems, but those are not Trade Unions. (For those not familiar. When I refer to Trade Unions, I am meaning, carpenters, painters, bricklayers, plumber & steamfitters, electricians, glaziers, iron workers, coal miners, etc.) Not grocery store workers or teachers unions etc. And by the way, for other readers. Did you know that those that work in the Trades, most, Black Dog, please correct if incorrect, do not get vacation time or sick time paid off days. They only get paid for work performed and showing up for work.

black dog

Free America
That's all interesting and everything, but the thread is about a person's right to NOT be in a union, and not to PAY a union that person does not want to be in.

You agree with THAT right, right?
As long as they yet zero benefit or perks from the union. I could care less.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
As long as they yet zero benefit or perks from the union. I could care less.

If they WERE getting any tangible benefit for those dues, they wouldn't be fighting so hard to not pay them...wouldn't you think? Unions that do nothing but provide fatcat existences for the top bosses are everywhere.

black dog

Free America
If I may ...

I'm pretty sure most know Unions were organized and created to level the field with the worker and employer, (Since not all employers, businesses, back in the day, treated their workers with respect and dignity, and saw them as only as a means to an end, and as disposable), in the aspect of providing safe working conditions, fair wages, etc. But public unions are an abomination that pit the taxpayer against the civil servant when government, already provided sufficient protections and treatment. And those that do not work in the trades, such as you do, will never know really how much a Trade Union is still needed today. Sure, at times, Unions are blamed for creating problems, but those are not Trade Unions. (For those not familiar. When I refer to Trade Unions, I am meaning, carpenters, painters, bricklayers, plumber & steamfitters, electricians, glaziers, iron workers, coal miners, etc.) Not grocery store workers or teachers unions etc. And by the way, for other readers. Did you know that those that work in the Trades, most, Black Dog, please correct if incorrect, do not get vacation time or sick time paid off days. They only get paid for work performed and showing up for work.
The elevator union workers get three weeks paid vacation starting after the 6 month probation period, after 5 years you get the weeks and half is paid in Jan and the second half a s in June. You take it when you want.
No sick pay, you don't work, you don't get paid.

black dog

Free America
If they WERE getting any tangible benefit for those dues, they wouldn't be fighting so hard to not pay them...wouldn't you think? Unions that do nothing but provide fatcat existences for the top bosses are everywhere.
I didn't know? I have read that some non union folks the union they don't want to pay does do some office / record keeping without being compensated.

stgislander

PREMO Member
My father (Boilermakers and Blacksmiths) and brother (Machinists) used to complain that their Unions were very good at getting them payraises, but piss poor at getting benefits. Reason being that they (Union bosses) couldn't make money for themselves off benefits.