Universal Sports and Academics

Universal

LOCAL GYMNAST PLACES FIRST ON
BALANCE BEAM IN JUNIOR OLYMPIC
COMPETITION​

TUPELO, Mississippi, May 8-9, 2009 -- Kelly Barock, a local gymnast with Unique Sports Academy in Waldorf, Maryland competed in the U.S.A. Gymnastics Level 9 Eastern National Championship. Barock, a sophomore at La Plata High School, placed first on the balance beam, fourth on the uneven bars and fifth all around in the Junior Olympic Competition. Her strong showing helped pace her Region 7 team to a second place finish overall.

The Eastern National competition included nearly 300 gymnasts from across the eastern United States from Maine to Florida and Illinois to Louisiana. Gymnasts compete individually in four events, the Vault, Uneven bars, Balance Beam and Floor. Judges score the performance in each event and gymnasts are then ranked by event and for their all around score.

USAG Region 7 consists of amateur gymnasts from Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia. Barock was one of 6 gymnasts to qualify for a spot on the Region 7 team by out-performing 68 other girls during Regional competition held at Parkettes Gym in Allentown Pa. on April 18th 2009.

Barock has been coached by Joe and Shone Taglisferi, co-owners of Unique Sports Academy and head Coaches. “We’ve had the pleasure of coaching Kelly for the past five years, and she works hard to rise above any challenge,” said Coach Tagliesferi.

Barock suffered a potentially career ending injury last year during the Maryland State Championship when after a hard landing during a floor routine, she broke her foot. “Kelly spent the entire summer and fall putting in many hours of exercise in the hope of restoring her foot to health,” said Shone Tagliesferi, “The hard work paid off when she was able to return to compete with her team in February of 2009.”

Kelly shared, “I really am so thankful for the support of my coaches, and team mates, and I know my strong faith in God gave me the strength to overcome my injury and help me along the way.”

Barock will be attending Gym Dogs Gymnastics Camp at the University of Georgia in June and dreams someday of competing at the collegiate level.

Unique Sports Academy’s mission is to promote fitness, education, and social values at all ages. Our programs are designed to stimulate dreams and offer opportunities of competition in a safe and positive learning environment. Our goal is to provide each athlete a complete range of physical and mental challenges promoting strength, power, flexibility, agility, confidence, discipline and positive attitude to compete locally, regionally, and nationally in sports and prepare for life’s challenges. Our certified Coaches are experienced at all levels of competition and provide a positive, constructive instruction enabling gymnasts to achieve their dreams in a family oriented environment. Our teaming with local public and private education institutes offer our coaches and gymnasts with the opportunity to advance academically within the community. For additional information go to Welcome to Unique Sports Academy