University Libraries in Calvert/St. Mary's

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Are there any good university libraries that are available to the general public for use in Calvert or St. Mary's?

I'm looking for one with a good reference and periodicals section. I need to peruse several technical trade journals. :ohwell:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Have you tried searching for what you seek on the Internet? I hear that what you can find out there is simply amazing. :lol:

janey83

Twenty Something
Ken King said:
Have you tried searching for what you seek on the Internet? I hear that what you can find out there is simply amazing. :lol:

yeah but journals you can find through library databases are usually more credible than what you can find on someone's angelfire website.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Ken King said:
I need to research some specific topics. :rolleyes:

Online Journals & Ezines aren't doing the trick - most of the time, they don't post all of their articles, and many of them are only abstracts. Plus, I find that University Libraries usually have a large selection all in one place, and I can find the info I want much more quickly.

snuzzy

janey83 said:
yeah but journals you can find through library databases are usually more credible than what you can find on someone's angelfire website.
ERIC Clearinghouse on information and technology: eric@ericir.syr.edu
or try: http://ericir.syr.edu/ another site: www.ed.gov/NLE/publication.html These are from some old notes/research, so I'm not sure how current they are, but they were legitimate sites for research. I prefer to do my research online, in the comfort of my home :coffee: ...you can call any library and they should be able to give you their website address to access their databases. Good luck!

Ken King

PREMO Member
Then maybe you need to go towards the metro (DC/College Park) to find a large university (American, Georgetown, Maryland etc.). I don't think there are any universities in Calvert and St. Mary's only has the college at St. Mary's City.

What pubs or topic are you seeking?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Ken King said:
Then maybe you need to go towards the metro (DC/College Park) to find a large university (American, Georgetown, Maryland etc.). I don't think there are any universities in Calvert and St. Mary's only has the college at St. Mary's City.

What pubs or topic are you seeking?
I'm looking for some publications of interest (newsletters, journals, etc.) put out by professional societies for systems, aero, civil, and mechanical engineering, specifically IEE, INCOSE, AIAA, ASME, ASCE, etc.

Some post all their articles online, some don't.
But I also need to find some of the advertisers, mastheads, editors, upcoming legislation, etc. Some of this is posted in the hardcopy, but may be difficult to pin down online.

It's part of the process I'm going thru on my job search. I'm doing some of the groundwork to prepare for interviews, etc.

Plus, it'll be nice to have the expertise of the periodicals/reference librarian at my fingertips.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The library on base used to have a lot of that stuff, but I have no idea if they still do. I assume you've already checked there, Sleuth.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
jazz lady said:
The library on base used to have a lot of that stuff, but I have no idea if they still do. I assume you've already checked there, Sleuth.
I didn't even know there was a base library?? :confused:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
jazz lady said:

:yeahthat: You should PM JMO, I'm sure she would be happy to help you out. :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
sleuth said:
I assume I can just go in with my base ID?
As far as I know, yes. I was a contractor and was allowed to use it back then. You may want to call and check. :shrug:

Ken King

PREMO Member
jazz lady said:
You're welcome. Here's their number: [size=+0]301-342-1927[/size]
Make sure to tell them how you learned about the library here in the SOMD forums, they like to know that stuff. :biggrin:

Warren76

sleuth said:
I'm looking for some publications of interest (newsletters, journals, etc.) put out by professional societies for systems, aero, civil, and mechanical engineering, specifically IEE, INCOSE, AIAA, ASME, ASCE, etc.

Some post all their articles online, some don't.
But I also need to find some of the advertisers, mastheads, editors, upcoming legislation, etc. Some of this is posted in the hardcopy, but may be difficult to pin down online.

It's part of the process I'm going thru on my job search. I'm doing some of the groundwork to prepare for interviews, etc.

Plus, it'll be nice to have the expertise of the periodicals/reference librarian at my fingertips.

Have you tried posting your inquiry on various UseNet newsgroups? I suggest that you begin browsing through those at the iee newsgroup servers. Ffor example, subscribe to iee.pub.general, iee.pub.announce, ieee.students, just for starters.

Best success to you in your technical material search.

-Warren-

Last edited:

Ken King

PREMO Member
Warren76 said:
Have you tried posting your inquiry on various UseNet newsgroups? I suggest that you begin browsing through those at the iee newsgroup servers. Ffor example, subscribe to iee.pub.general, iee.pub.announce, ieee.students, just for starters.

Best success to you in your technical material search.

-Warren-
subscribe = money X sleuth = no way :biggrin: