Update on Lusby horse

Cowgirl

If birthing is going to be so painful, why don't they just do a c-section? It's easy on cattle, cant' imagine it'd be too much different in horses. :shrug:

DQ2B

This irks me. Don't get me wrong, I think Dr. Stott is very competent but time and time again I hear vets prescribe shoes or corrective shoes for laminitis issues. I fail to see how simply slapping on shoes will address the laminitis issue. Sure it may temporarily help with pain but ultimately, unless what's going on inside her body to cause the laminitis is addressed, nothing applied to the outside will be the answer.

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
DQ2B said:
This irks me. Don't get me wrong, I think Dr. Stott is very competent but time and time again I hear vets prescribe shoes or corrective shoes for laminitis issues. I fail to see how simply slapping on shoes will address the laminitis issue. Sure it may temporarily help with pain but ultimately, unless what's going on inside her body to cause the laminitis is addressed, nothing applied to the outside will be the answer.

While I think I have to agree with you on the shoeing bit, I didn't read that Stott himself prescribed shoes... It might be the situation they are in and someone else advised them on that...
I know Stott was a farrier before he was a vet.
Dr. Stott rocks... I would trust his opinion :dude:

fredsaid2

I think shoes can be just one part of the solution. If she has rotation, shoes can provide support giving some comfort. Stott was a farrier before becoming a vet. He loves that my horse is barefoot w/ good feet. He doesn't push shoes unless they're required. I'm sure they're doing all the right things for her condition.

Last edited:

fredsaid2

HorseLady said:
Ditto for Dr. Stott!!! Any chance of us kidnapping him and keeping him hostage in St. Marys???

I think we can share :smile: He's followed me to all the barns I've been at. I just worry about the big 'R' word!

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
fredsaid2 said:
I think we can share :smile: He's followed me to all the barns I've been at. I just worry about the big 'R' word!

I know what you mean! He mentions how tired he's getting, driving all over.. Move away, to Fla. God that would suck.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
fredsaid2 said:

I don't think he'll be going the "R" thing anytime soon. Stott is a wonderful vet! :yay:

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
He's about as close to the top as any vet could. He's very open and upfront with his opinions. May not always be what we want to hear, but he will tell you the facts and then he will step back and let the horse owner decide what to do.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
mygoldnhorse said:
He's about as close to the top as any vet could. He's very open and upfront with his opinions. May not always be what we want to hear, but he will tell you the facts and then he will step back and let the horse owner decide what to do.

And another great thing about him is,, he doesn't take you to the cleaners!! Like one other local vet, :gossip: , not mentioning names. :whistle: