Update on the 9 Lusby horses @ the Days End

Jazzie98

Hello to all: I am new to this forum. I am a horse owner and do love them. I noticed on the thread regarding the Lusby horses, some of you were asking about the medical needs, etc. of the horses. Like someone had posted, 9 of the horses, most near death, are at Days End. I have been keeping contact with the director, Kathy because not only, as a human being but also a horse lover, I am so angry that Mr. Hughes did not have any type of punishment for what he did with these horses. The horses are still not out of danger. Since I first saw the news about these horses, my heart went out for them and I have been donating, passing information, saving Southern States proof of purchase, etc. to help any way that I can. If all goes as planned, I am going to sponsor the horse they call Baker Bean and may add him to our horse family. I have enclosed a letter from Kathy, at the Days End, so that everyone that is interested, has an update on these babies.

Thank you for your time and any help

The Medical News;

The Calvert 9 are doing pretty good. The vet examined all of them when they arrived at the farm and drew coggins on all and also took fecal samples. Some of the horses had blood drawn. The results of the fecals show they are all infested with parasites (they each have millions of strongyles) The bloodwork that was drawn showed that the severe cases are very anemic and a few have heart arrhythmias. All of this is very bad but also very typical of starvation cases.

They were started on free choice hay 24/7 except little Baker Bean who had trouble even standing and we started feeding his pelleted feed as a mush, a handful, six times a day along with the free choice hay. All have skin conditions (SEVERE Rain Rot) and were bathed with Malasab and rinsed with a tetree based rinse to soften the scabs.

Last week we started the real thin ones on four meals a day at ½ lb per feeding and the healthier four on 1 lb per feeding. Baker is finally getting up and down on his own and is eating up to 1 lb per meal, now four times a day like the others with free choice hay as usual.

Worming is very touch and go when horses are this infested with strongyles. Much of the damage has already been done and many of these guys already have adhesions as a result of the parasite migration so we go very slow with the deworming process. We also do not want to risk impactions as a result of killing too many parasites all at one time. We have started them on daily wormer to try to kill a few every day and they will be getting panacure next week, an amount based on their weight.

The vet is due out again on the 17th but they all seem to be progressing as well as can be expected.

The Personalities;

Baker Bean – Baker is the star as he was so very near death when he arrived. Barley putting one foot in front of the other, he would walk over to you for attention. At least once daily Baker would have to be lifted to an upright position at feeding time as he was unable to get up on his own. He was being fed six meals a day of ½ lb of soaked pellets ( Legends 12 maturity and High Fat feed ). He loves his food and if in a prone position made every available effort to try to help himself get up when he saw us approach, sometimes he was able to get up and amble over, other times he waited for our assistance.

In the beginning 5 of the nine horses that were of the poorest condition were housed on one side of the arena and the others on the other side with portable corral panels between them. Hay was always available yet you saw a constant battle of the bully’s as the leader of each herd would move the others from one pat of hay to another in search of the “best and tastiest” pat of hay!! Invariably, Baker Bean was at the bottom of the Barrell. Most times Avery’s Alibi, the large Bay Mare was doing the pushing but Zippo, the small appy stallion sometimes took over the duty.

When it was time for Bakers meals, I came into the arena via the outside door. We had cornered off another section where Baker would be fed his meals separate from the pack. Baker always saw me out of the corner of his eye and would stroll carefully towards the gate so as not to cause any of the other horses to notice he was headed to the gate to get feed. Most times he made it to the gate before they surrounded him but at other times I had to scoot in there quickly to get him so the other horses didn’t get in our way.

At that point in time the other horses are eating free choice hay and have not been started on the pelleted mush. They were not sure at first why Baker was being separated from the herd but it didn’t take them long to discover that we were feeding him and not them. Maybe its my imagination but I believe that when Baker came back through the gate after having eaten his mush he was gloating to the other horses that he was getting special food and they weren’t so as to say to them (Nan a nana nan na) and they replied by pushing him around a bit (not hurting him) but just letting him know they were not happy he was getting special treatment.

Once the other horses were started on the mush a few days later they definitely knew what was going down when Baker was taken out and they refused to even stand with him and would move away when he approached.

On Saturday, Baker Bean had been getting up and down on his own for two days and he was switched to the same feeding schedule as the others. Interesting enough Baker, Whistler, Avery’s Alibi, YaYa and the little tease Zippo are all friends. You can typically see Baker, Zippo and Whistler (the three studlies and yes they will be gelded as soon as they recover) leaning against each other in the arena when they sleep with Avery’s Alibi and YaYa, the two older mares watching over them!

I hope the above story brought you a smile. These guys are such dears that your heart can’t help but go out to them.

The personalities are continuing to develop as we get to know them better and the saga continues!
Please wish the horses all your best as they all have a very, very long way to go & yes, we collect the Southern States Coupons!
Kathy
Kathleen Schwartz, Exec. Director

Days End Farm Horse Rescue
15856 Frederick Road
P.O. Box 309
Lisbon, MD 21765-0309
Ph: 301-854-5037, Fax: 301-854-5146
www.daysendfarm.org
"Protection for Horses....Education for People"

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Thanks for the update..I am glad my money could go to a good cause...I hear there is something else in the works in Calvert too :whistle:

Jazzie98

Freedom Hill has 4 of the horses

Pasofever said:
Thanks for the update..I am glad my money could go to a good cause...I hear there is something else in the works in Calvert too :whistle:

Hopefully I am doing this correctly. I am sure that I will make mistakes with my posts.

But yes, Freedom Hill took 4 of the 18 horses. I also donated what I could to them. Mel, from Freedom Hill, emailed me pics and updates of the 4. They actually, are not in really bad shape, compared to the group that Days End. She told me that they will be up for adoption, after the First of November. There is a pretty paint mare, a 15 year old red roan app mare and two girls, around 2 years old. The tip of their ears are missing, the two fillies, maybe from frostbite or flies. The vet still had to come out to palpate the mares, just in case because there was at least, two studs with the herd.

The other 5 horses are with the SPCA Agent, she took them home with her. God Bless her for giving them a home. I have not heard anything on that group though.

Have a good day :howdy:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I have talked to the SPCA agent..I gave her money directly for hers...to help some..she said they are doing well she wormed hers too and showed me a shiat load of huge rounds that came out of them..disgusting...

Yes days end got the worst for sure..But I think they are better equipped to handle the bad cases and have more funding available to them too...

Jazzie98

To all: Thank you

To those that are able to donate, Thank you. To everyone, just pass the word. These horses have a long, some of them, hard road ahead of them. I can't even imagine the cost, per day, that the Days End has so I know that they need anything that comes their way, most of all some prayers and strength.

Thank you again for all of your replies. It's wonderful to hear of so many people that really care for the welfare of these horses.

As time allows, I will try to read some of the past (and current) posts, with hopes of getting to know all of you and this board.

Have a great weekend, :coffee:

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
The story from Kathy is so sad. Thank you so much for coming on to tell us about them :huggy: . I will send them a donation and my Southern States feed tags.

Animals4Life

Jazzie98 said:
Hopefully I am doing this correctly. I am sure that I will make mistakes with my posts.

But yes, Freedom Hill took 4 of the 18 horses. I also donated what I could to them. Mel, from Freedom Hill, emailed me pics and updates of the 4. They actually, are not in really bad shape, compared to the group that Days End. She told me that they will be up for adoption, after the First of November. There is a pretty paint mare, a 15 year old red roan app mare and two girls, around 2 years old. The tip of their ears are missing, the two fillies, maybe from frostbite or flies. The vet still had to come out to palpate the mares, just in case because there was at least, two studs with the herd.

The other 5 horses are with the SPCA Agent, she took them home with her. God Bless her for giving them a home. I have not heard anything on that group though.

Have a good day :howdy:
I was fortunate enough to attend the event on Sunday at Kings Landing Park to benefit the Lusby horses. The lady from Chesapeake SPCA was there with Patches (he was the brown and white colt in the rescue pics). My nieces were able to have their picture taken with him, buy an ornament with his markings on it and some other things and we were able to give a donation towards his care also. He was such a sweet guy for all that he has been through.