US scientists make major breakthrough in ‘limitless, zero-carbon’ fusion energy: report (aka rumor)

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Scientists have been struggling to harness the fusion reaction that powers the Sun for more than half a century

U.S. government scientists at a California laboratory have reportedly made a monumental breakthrough in harnessing the power of fusion energy.

The scientists, working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, recently achieved a net energy gain in a fusion reaction, the Financial Times reported, citing three people with knowledge of the experiment.

Scientists have been struggling since the 1950s to harness the fusion reaction that powers the sun. But no group has been able to produce more energy from the reaction than it consumes.

Every so often somebody claims to have made this happen, then a few weeks later it gets shown to be bull####.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Read one article recently that by 2024 they hope to be able to light one light bulb with 'excess' power. No one has been able to make a self-sustaining reaction.

I hope they do crack this soon. The benefits would be incredible, and every country could in theory have energy independence.

SamSpade

I'm not confident that the laser smashing approach used by Livermore is ever going to produce commerically available power.

I think a lot of the scientists involved in these endeavors aren't the slightest bit concerned about making power they can sell - they do it for the jazz.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The "fine print" near the end of the article I read on a different news source said this is very preliminary and that all of the data has not yet been analyzed and peer reviewed.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
This leads me to believe that this will never see the light of day.

you would think Big OIL would be against this, but the companies are starting to diversify because of green pressure, maybe that is really fake and a false front ... I'm sure greenies will push for this

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
you would think Big OIL would be against this, but the companies are starting to diversify because of green pressure,

They sure are. Two of the largest forces behind offshore wind development "over there" are huge Scandinavian oil and gas corporations.
Both are heavily invested in the fledgling US offshore wind power industry too.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

As I've said in the past..... Ask these same scientists if perpetual motion exists, and they'll tell you that it is impossible. That one cannot get more energy out of something than what is put in. Now ask them why they think this fusion idea is any different from perpetual motion machine. What you'll get is either a deer in the headlights look, or some snake oil mumbo jumbo scientifically sounding word salad explanation.