US soccer team snubs troops

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Anger after U.S. soccer team IGNORES ranks of American troops who lined up to greet them as they arrived for game in Guatemala | Mail Online

The US national soccer team, nicknamed 'The Stars and Stripes,' weren't feeling very patriotic when players stepped off the plane and were greeted by American troops in Guatemala.

The players reportedly snubbed the soldiers who had lined up on Monday to cheer for them as they arrived for a World Cup qualifying match -- completely ignoring them as they walked to a waiting bus.

Families of the military heroes reacted with fury claiming the soccer stars had disrespected their loved ones.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
We just went to the game with the US National team here in Tampa June 8. they were very receptive to all fans here.

I've watched the US team play in Costa Rica, and the abuse level against any pro-US supporters is pretty bad, much less the team.

My guess is they did not know who was cheering/jeering them as they headed to their bus......

Foreign countries, especially Central/South America, have this penchant for making visiting teams feel very unwelcome, therefore get in, get out - fast. .

Last edited:

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
We just went to the game with the US National team here in Tampa June 8. they were very receptive to all fans here.

I've watched the US team play in Costa Rica, and the abuse level against any pro-US supporters is pretty bad, much less the team.

My guess is they did not know who was cheering/jeering them as they headed to their bus......

Foreign countries, especially Central/South America, have this penchant for making visiting teams feel very unwelcome, therefore get in, get out - fast. .

That was my initial reaction to the story. They had 20 yards to cover, get in the bus, find a seat and "Let's get outta Dodge." If the GI's were cheering and taking pictures, they made it clear the adulation was for the team. But, had I been in the group, I would have walked closer to one of the sides with GIs and would have shook a hand or twelve.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
That was my initial reaction to the story. They had 20 yards to cover, get in the bus, find a seat and "Let's get outta Dodge." If the GI's were cheering and taking pictures, they made it clear the adulation was for the team. But, had I been in the group, I would have walked closer to one of the sides with GIs and would have shook a hand or twelve.

After re-reading the entire article, and looking at all the pictures again, I would conclude that it was not an intentional act by the team. Maybe they were instructed to go straight to the team bus. There were photos showing players posing with soldiers for pictures on the tarmac.

The team and the USSF need to make sure something like this never happens again.