US Vietnam intelligence 'flawed'

rack'm

Jaded
Newly-released US documents suggest the US escalated the war in Vietnam based on skewed intelligence.

WOW, absolute proof that hindsight truly is 20/20. :duh:

But he clears President Johnson and his ministers of any blame. They were only shown intelligence supporting the claim of an attack, not a wealth of contradictory material, he says.

Instead, he blames the intelligence-gathers. "They walked alone in their counsels," he wrote.

Gee, what's the chance of this ever happening today??

dustin

UAIOE
...so the USS Maddox was still attacked. Just two days earlier. What difference does the 2 days make?

rack'm

Jaded
dustin said:
...so the USS Maddox was still attacked. Just two days earlier. What difference does the 2 days make?

Not a damn thing as far as I'm concerned.......the funny thing is, the media seems to actually be defending Bush by running stories about past bad intel causing wars. :lol:

MMDad

Lem Putt
rack'm said:
Newly-released US documents suggest the US escalated the war in Vietnam based on skewed intelligence.

WOW, absolute proof that hindsight truly is 20/20. :duh:

Gee, what's the chance of this ever happening today??

I don't understand why this is news today. This is from the history.navy.mil, 13 July 2005:

On the night of 4 August, the warships reported making contact and then being attacked by several fast craft far out to sea. Officers in the naval chain of command and U.S. leaders in Washington were persuaded by interpretation of special intelligence and reports from the ships that North Vietnamese naval forces had attacked the two destroyers. More recent analysis of that data and additional information gathered on the 4 August episode now makes it clear that North Vietnamese naval forces did not attack Maddox and Turner Joy that night in the summer of 1964.

dustin

UAIOE
MMDad said:
I don't understand why this is news today. This is from the history.navy.mil, 13 July 2005:
Guess it depends on what your definition of "Newly-released" is :shrug: