USCGC Eagle

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Nuts- there's no where I can see this. I don't remember what year it was but in Baltimore they had a tall ships festival in what is now the Inner Harbor. There had to be easily 20 to 30 ships and I got to see the majority of them in full sail pulling in and leaving. It was probably one of the most magnificent things I have ever seen.
The tall ships visit Baltimore on a fairly regular basis...but if I recall correctly, it was 1976 when it kicked off in a really big way.

My grandpappy was Superintendent (Acting) of the Coast Guard Academy way back when I was just a wee laddie (early 60s). I was told I'd been on the Eagle with him but have no recollection of it.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The Eagle is a grand looking vessel.

Anita and I went to Norwich, the military college in Vermont. The Coast Guard Academy is one of our big sports rivals.

Back in the late 70's, some dunderheads from the cadet corps at Norwich thought they could drive down to New London and steal the Eagle. Didn't go so well for them.

Though, my freshman year (fall of 1975), some of our cadets did manage to safely kidnap their bear cub mascot.

stgislander

PREMO Member
The Eagle is a grand looking vessel.

Anita and I went to Norwich, the military college in Vermont. The Coast Guard Academy is one of our big sports rivals.

Back in the late 70's, some dunderheads from the cadet corps at Norwich thought they could drive down to New London and steal the Eagle. Didn't go so well for them.

Though, my freshman year (fall of 1975), some of our cadets did manage to safely kidnap their bear cub mascot.
I remember just before I retired, Senior Reserve Officer Atlantic (Rear Admiral Richard Schneider) was also the President of Norwich. He said in an interview for the CG Reservist magazine that during sporting events against the USCG Academy, he'd change uniforms during halftime so he could support both schools.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm pretty sure that the stadium was one of several capital improvement project my grandpappy oversaw as Asst Super. He became acting Super when his boss had to fall out for health reasons.

WingsOfGold

Beautiful ship, a buddy of mine a retired shallow water sailor recently hitched a ride on her in the Azores, disappointed that they motored instead of sailed. Still a incredible opportunity.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I remember just before I retired, Senior Reserve Officer Atlantic (Rear Admiral Richard Schneider) was also the President of Norwich. He said in an interview for the CG Reservist magazine that during sporting events against the USCG Academy, he'd change uniforms during halftime so he could support both schools.
President Schneider has been a guardian angel for me.

I learned too much outside the class and did not graduate in May 1979 with the rest of my class. I earned the 1.88 GPA I had after 9 semesters. On the other hand, my wife graduated with high honors, BS in Electrical Engineering (4 year AFROTC scholarship).

After Anita got the job offer here in February 2012, I thought to pick up the pieces of my delayed life. She had been, until starting the job at NAVAIR in August 2012, been out of work 15 years dealing with PTSD and other effects of her service connected disabilities.

I contacted one of my old professors who was still there (this school years makes 44 for him) to see if I could come back as a non-traditional completion student. I got back in, took and got A's in the classes I needed, and was awarded my degree on 24 August 2013, 38 years to the day that I first set foot on campus.

We went up the following May for Commencement, so my mom could see me finally walk across that stage and get my degree.

I later found out, that Adm Schneider went to bat for me to the University's Board of Trustees. They were very skeptical that someone coming back after so long could do it. It explained why he gave me a bear hug on stage after the Dean handed me my diploma.

stgislander

PREMO Member
President Schneider has been a guardian angel for me.

I learned too much outside the class and did not graduate in May 1979 with the rest of my class. I earned the 1.88 GPA I had after 9 semesters. On the other hand, my wife graduated with high honors, BS in Electrical Engineering (4 year AFROTC scholarship).

After Anita got the job offer here in February 2012, I thought to pick up the pieces of my delayed life. She had been, until starting the job at NAVAIR in August 2012, been out of work 15 years dealing with PTSD and other effects of her service connected disabilities.

I contacted one of my old professors who was still there (this school years makes 44 for him) to see if I could come back as a non-traditional completion student. I got back in, took and got A's in the classes I needed, and was awarded my degree on 24 August 2013, 38 years to the day that I first set foot on campus.

We went up the following May for Commencement, so my mom could see me finally walk across that stage and get my degree.

I later found out, that Adm Schneider went to bat for me to the University's Board of Trustees. They were very skeptical that someone coming back after so long could do it. It explained why he gave me a bear hug on stage after the Dean handed me my diploma.
Great story. Thanks for sharing.