Use of Ultrasound Improved Detection of Cancer

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Mammogram With Ultrasound Improved Detection of Cancers

"CHICAGO (Reuters) — Using ultrasound in addition to mammography helped doctors spot significantly more breast cancers in high-risk women compared with mammograms alone, but it also resulted in four times as many false alarms, researchers said Tuesday.

“Mammograms saw only half of the breast cancers that were present,” said Dr. Wendie Berg of American Radiology Services at Johns Hopkins at Green Spring Station in Lutherville, Md., who did the study. “If we added ultrasound to mammography, we saw 78 percent of the cancers.”

Dr. Berg, whose study appears in the Journal of the American Medical Association, said most of the cancers found with ultrasound were small invasive cancers that had not spread to the lymph nodes. “These are types of cancers that we most need to be finding,” she said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/14/health/research/14ultrasound.html?ref=us

bcp

In My Opinion
I just thank God that we men types dont have to have our sacks checked for cancer the same way a woman gets her jugs checked.

Being of the mindset that a breast is a terrible thing to waste, I cringe when I hear about some sadistic doctor putting a tittie under a 10 ton shop press.... just aint right