Use Stirrup Straight or EZ Knee?

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
I took hubby out for his first real ride today that wasn't in an arena and that lasted more than an hour. He wrecked his knees playing college ball and 3-4 hours in a new western saddle really left him gimping around. Have any of you used Stirrup Straight or E-Z Knee? Did it help? Gimmick? Well worth the money?

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
If we could have found a 16 hand+ model for super tall hubby that met the criterea we would have bought it. We did look at some gaited horses in our price range but they aren't so common here and the ones we did see neither I nor the trainer were all too impressed with. With a 2 and 3 year old I couldn't be driving all over creation either.

About the knee issue though. All we did was slowly walk on level ground, it was both his and the new horse's first time out of the arena and pasture here so we took it pretty easy. When he did months of lessons he rode a well used old saddle at the trainers place. The new saddle we got for him and the new horse is pretty stiff and rigid and he felt that was the knee pain problem.

mingiz

Horse Poor
You need to give the fenders a good oiling underneath on the rough out leather to help soften it will take several applications. It will take a long time to break in a new saddle more miles in it the better. The oil will help make the leather more pliable, you can put a broom handle through the stirrups also to help get the fenders shaped.
How To Turn Stirrups

I haven't seen the stirrup aids used I knew a person that had some that swiveled which helped.
Swivel and Lock Stirrup System: Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
You need to give the fenders a good oiling underneath on the rough out leather to help soften it will take several applications. It will take a long time to break in a new saddle more miles in it the better. The oil will help make the leather more pliable, you can put a broom handle through the stirrups also to help get the fenders shaped.
How To Turn Stirrups

I haven't seen the stirrup aids used I knew a person that had some that swiveled which helped.
Swivel and Lock Stirrup System: Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com

Hey those swivels look usefull! Thanks for the link. The broomstick trick for turning the stirrups is great too, I had to improvise a bit but both our new saddles are on their racks and fitted out with garden implements. Thanks so much for the tip!

Last edited:

Colliegal

I have used both types of stirrup straighteners and they both work well. I have one or the other on every trail saddle I own! My knees never hurt me anymore no matter how long I ride. I'd suggest getting some for hubby so he will continue to ride!