Used fabric

seekeroftruth

Luke 5:33 They said to him, “John’s disciples often fast and pray, and so do the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours go on eating and drinking.”
34 Jesus answered, “Can you make the friends of the bridegroom fast while he is with them? 35 But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; in those days they will fast.”
36 He told them this parable: “No one tears a piece out of a new garment to patch an old one. Otherwise, they will have torn the new garment, and the patch from the new will not match the old. 37 And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the new wine will burst the skins; the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. 38 No, new wine must be poured into new wineskins. 39 And no one after drinking old wine wants the new, for they say, ‘The old is better.’”
I make dolls. I was retired by metastatic cancer and then I lost an eye to that moron pretending to be a doctor. So, I spend my time making cloth dolls and crocheting. I use used [repurposed] fabric. I go to the Goodwill or other local thrift stores and buy shirts and sheets. Then I use that fabric to make dolls.

Every now and then, a little, tiny hole will be hiding in the fabric. When the embroidery takes place, that little, tiny whole might become a blemish. That doll doesn't sell as well as the ones that appear to be made from new fabric. Until, that is, the buyer picks one up. Then they can't put it back... it's snuggly. It's soft, it wants to be held and cuddled. I see it happen all the time. The worn fabric has one huge advantage over the new store-bought stuff. It's lost its' sizing and it's softer and cuddlier. Once it's done, the little, tiny hole hides again. It's still there, but no one cares.

I know... this isn't wineskins and I use old fabric on a new doll which is exactly the opposite of what Jesus is describing when He says "don't put new patch on old fabric. The fabric has to age and soften. My doll fabric is worn before it becomes the doll. But it's not about the fabric, it's about timing.

Jesus said "No one tears a piece out of a new garment to patch an old one". The old fabric is soft, the new fabric is stiff. They will wear each other out. The old practice of using new fabric for every project should be obsolete. The days of killing a lamb or a cow or a bird to make up for our sins is gone. Repurpose and reuse seems to be the theme of the day, but everyone is still using new fabric for every project.

I'm always accused of being a poor Christian. Fact is, these days few people know what a Christian really is. I'm not a pew warming Christian. I could not sit around on the Sabbath and do nothing because God rested on the Sabbath. I'm the kind of Christian that stands on the street corner. I'm old fabric, worn and used, turned soft and cuddly.... but I'm not afraid to tell some, if you don't change your ways, you're going to rip.

Jesus wanted to heal the sick and feed the poor. The Pharisees couldn't heal the sick or feed the poor. It wasn't in their budget. It wasn't on their written agendas. So if they couldn't do it... no one could.

:coffee: