USWNT WORLD CUP Champions !

This_person

The video is above. They did not dance on it.
"Danced on it" is clearly interpretive. In my personal view, it's a hyperbolic way of describing what happened. They clearly were dancing for the crowd somewhat, but it seems unlikely their intent was to have that be "on the flag" in some sort of communication of disdain for the flag. What appears to be far more likely, looking at the video, is that the one holding the flag simply discarded it when the one next to her waved the flag away (in somewhat of a dismissive manner) to be able to do the "dance" for the crowd. That was when the one holding it dropped it to the ground and stepped on it, then it was rescued by another team member.

I don't think, based on my watching it, that the one who stepped on it did so with intent to step on it. Rather, it appeared a complete lack of reverence by throwing it to the ground like a discarded hamburger wrapper. In all of their time "representing our country", no one taught them to respect the symbol of our nation, or they chose to not learn it.

I would not refer to it as "dancing on the flag", personally, but a person could do so and defend it. I would simply refer to it as, "discarded and stepped on the flag". Again, I don't think they meant actual malice, just an ignorant or intentional (no way really to know) disregard for proper, respectful handling.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
No they didn't.
they (Rapinoe especially) happily joined in and escalated it. I believe my own lying eyes on that score. Pundits over on this side of the world were even rooting for the Netherlands entirely because of Rapinoe's disgusting behavior...and that of her co-captain too, I believe it was.

Reactions: BOP

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What appears to be far more likely, looking at the video, is that the one holding the flag simply discarded it when the one next to her waved the flag away (in somewhat of a dismissive manner) to be able to do the "dance" for the crowd. That was when the one holding it dropped it to the ground and stepped on it, then it was rescued by another team member.

That ^....is what happened.

Chris0nllyn

they (Rapinoe especially) happily joined in and escalated it. I believe my own lying eyes on that score. Pundits over on this side of the world were even rooting for the Netherlands entirely because of Rapinoe's disgusting behavior...and that of her co-captain too, I believe it was.

No one danced on the flag.

Folks outside the US aren't cheering for them to win. Wow, I'm shocked.

BOP

A family member, who is about as liberal as they come (his own brother says "he's lost his damn mind") was torn between wanting to support the US and the land of his father's ancestors, Netherlands. That's saying something.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Not my team.
Can't say that, the back of the shirt says USA and I'm always going to root for them. On the other hand I think someone who can't represent their nation well should be fired, I don't care if she's the best player in the world. I would rather have a team of second raters that represent their nation well than a self indulgent superstar.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Likewise. I could care less about someone's political feelings and won't use those feelings or beliefs to cloud the fact that a group of people won, for the 4th time, a tournament representing our Country.

But hey, we live in a time of hyper-partisan/tribal politics!
the tournament doesn't represent the country, the team does. Winning is second to representing the country well.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Folks outside the US aren't cheering for them to win. Wow, I'm shocked.

.......folks that were not afraid to say explicitly on TV that they were rooting for the Netherlands at least in part because of the outrageous behavior of a few of the key US players. Eat that kid.... ;-p Too bad you couldn't understand.

Reactions: BOP

Chris0nllyn

.......folks that were not afraid to say explicitly on TV that they were rooting for the Netherlands at least in part because of the outrageous behavior of a few of the key US players. Eat that kid.... ;-p Too bad you couldn't understand.

I understood just fine, old man. Nothing you just said changes anything.

This_person

No one danced on the flag.
"Danced on it" is clearly interpretive. In my personal view, it's a hyperbolic way of describing what happened. They clearly were dancing for the crowd somewhat, but it seems unlikely their intent was to have that be "on the flag" in some sort of communication of disdain for the flag. What appears to be far more likely, looking at the video, is that the one holding the flag simply discarded it when the one next to her waved the flag away (in somewhat of a dismissive manner) to be able to do the "dance" for the crowd. That was when the one holding it dropped it to the ground and stepped on it, then it was rescued by another team member.

I don't think, based on my watching it, that the one who stepped on it did so with intent to step on it. Rather, it appeared a complete lack of reverence by throwing it to the ground like a discarded hamburger wrapper. In all of their time "representing our country", no one taught them to respect the symbol of our nation, or they chose to not learn it.

I would not refer to it as "dancing on the flag", personally, but a person could do so and defend it. I would simply refer to it as, "discarded and stepped on the flag". Again, I don't think they meant actual malice, just an ignorant or intentional (no way really to know) disregard for proper, respectful handling.

The Boss

It absolutely did happen. I cannot say that this looks deliberate, but it is definitely not the correct way to handle the flag.

One can be seen dragging the flag on the ground, then another pushing it away from her. The woman dragging it drops it to the ground and (inadvertently?) steps on it, while someone else comes in to rescue the flag.

It absolutely happened, but I can't say they did it with deliberate intent to be disrespectful, or simply are disrespectful without intent.

Thank you for the video proving it did not happen.

This_person

Thank you for the video proving it did not happen.
It absolutely DID happen.

Sapidus

As opposed to being respectful to other people's beliefs by acting in an upset manner that they, too, acted with that same freedom of expression?

I mean, the one was asked if she was excited to go to the WH, and she responded with derision and contempt. That's fine. But, people being upset by that derision and contempt are spreading "whatever bullshit a group of retirement-aged white folks can come up with", according to you.

Chris, man, you've got to pick a side and try to stick to it, because you're not only playing both sides of the fence here, you're using "white folks" as a derisive term, which is patently racist. I would say "retirement aged" as a pejorative is ageist, but that's pretty obvious and doesn't need being pointed out separately.

However, you're literally (not figuratively) complaining that people are using their freedom of speech to be upset about freedom of speech. Pick a side, my friend.

HAHAHAH.

This is rich coming from a person who believes immigrant children should be jailed and denied basic hygiene because their parents in some cases committed a misdemeanor by crossing the border yet Jared Kushner lying and omitting on his security clearance forms ( a felony) gives him no pause.

You re the definition of ethically inconsistent and to see you lecture others is laughable

This_person

HAHAHAH.

This is rich coming from a person who believes immigrant children should be jailed and denied basic hygiene because their parents in some cases committed a misdemeanor by crossing the border yet Jared Kushner lying and omitting on his security clearance forms ( a felony) gives him no pause.
Well, what would YOU do? Would you separate those children from who is claiming to be their family to give them better conditions? Would you simply release the "family" into polite, legal society even though they (the adults) ARE criminals who represent a security risk to the nation?

It's a shitty position those people put the United States in, and idiots like you are willing to play the "it's for the children" card because you are intellectually incapable of seeing the bigger picture.

BTW, I've never opined on Jared Kushner's security clearance forms. I don't even know the circumstances (and I'm about 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999% certain you don't either), so I've offered absolutely nothing on that subject. You really need to stop lying and imputing opinions and positions on people dishonestly.