Utah helicopter crew discovers mysterious metal monolith deep in the desert

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
What started as routine wildlife assistance took an extraterrestrial turn for Utah's Department of Public Safety after officers stumbled upon a mysterious monolith in the middle of rural Utah.
Officers from the Utah Department of Public Safety's Aero Bureau were flying by helicopter last Wednesday, helping the Division of Wildlife Resources count bighorn sheep in southeastern Utah, when they spotted something that seemed right out of "2001: A Space Odyssey."
"One of the biologists ... spotted it, and we just happened to fly directly over the top of it," pilot Bret Hutchings told CNN affiliate KSL. "He was like, 'Whoa, whoa, whoa, turn around, turn around!' And I was like, 'What.' And he's like, 'There's this thing back there -- we've got to go look at it!'"

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member

stgislander

PREMO Member
What started as routine wildlife assistance took an extraterrestrial turn for Utah's Department of Public Safety after officers stumbled upon a mysterious monolith in the middle of rural Utah.
Officers from the Utah Department of Public Safety's Aero Bureau were flying by helicopter last Wednesday, helping the Division of Wildlife Resources count bighorn sheep in southeastern Utah, when they spotted something that seemed right out of "2001: A Space Odyssey."
"One of the biologists ... spotted it, and we just happened to fly directly over the top of it," pilot Bret Hutchings told CNN affiliate KSL. "He was like, 'Whoa, whoa, whoa, turn around, turn around!' And I was like, 'What.' And he's like, 'There's this thing back there -- we've got to go look at it!'"

I bet they found it on Skinwalker Ranch.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Slartibartfart must be waiting for approval
Well, there's a character I haven't heard from/of in quite some time!

Never read it.
I got through 3 of the original 5 (no interest in the sixth) in the "Hitchhiker" series about five years ago after putting them off for 10-15 years. When I realized I couldn't subject myself to the last two/three I could see why I originally put them off. They were certainly "aces" at the time they came out, but I don't think they've aged particularly well.

For me, the late 70s-early 80s Zeitgeist just doesn't quite work in 2020 (though it being 2020 I admit that all this COVID insanity might just make them popular again).

--- End of line (MCP)

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The aliens came back and picked it up. :yikes:
Did you see this part?
"Marino was reportedly joined by another person and the two read, “Bye B****," written where the object once stood. Someone may have also urinated in the spot. "

:roflmao:

SamSpade

Never read it.

Very fun read. Like Yooper, never read the sixth book as it wasn't written even remotely by anything Adams left behind before he died.

Actually one of the funniest parts of the series is Slartibartfast doesn't want to tell them his name - saying "it's not important" - and then when they find out, he says "I TOLD you it wasn't important". Very BRITISH kind of humor - and I liked his Dirk Gently books (which sadly - he only wrote two, dying before his third book).

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Very fun read. Like Yooper, never read the sixth book as it wasn't written even remotely by anything Adams left behind before he died.

Actually one of the funniest parts of the series is Slartibartfast doesn't want to tell them his name - saying "it's not important" - and then when they find out, he says "I TOLD you it wasn't important". Very BRITISH kind of humor - and I liked his Dirk Gently books (which sadly - he only wrote two, dying before his third book).
I'm not really into scifi.