V-Belts

Grumpy

I have an old Ariens lawn tractor that I use to cut the grass at a beach cottage I rent. The deck (blades) belt broke and the owners manual calls for a 1/2X98.5 inch belt...My question is will a 98 inch belt work?? Seems to me that 1/2 inch shouldn't make that much difference....Anyone?? TIA

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I had a craftsman 3000 series with a 52" deck a while back, and at least once, had to use a belt that was 1" shorter and it worked.

DaSDGuy

I have an old Ariens lawn tractor that I use to cut the grass at a beach cottage I rent. The deck (blades) belt broke and the owners manual calls for a 1/2X98.5 inch belt...My question is will a 98 inch belt work?? Seems to me that 1/2 inch shouldn't make that much difference....Anyone?? TIA
Might be too tight if not properly adjusted. If too tight, the belt may break prematurely and will cause extra pressure on the bearings in the pulleys and engine.

Grumpy

I had a craftsman 3000 series with a 52" deck a while back, and at least once, had to use a belt that was 1" shorter and it worked.
Thx..I feel it will work being that 1/2 inch over 98 inches shouldn't make that much of a difference. Ordered the OEM part from a local hardware store and they said it would be in this past Tuesday and it still hasn't arrived and I am getting kind of a runaround about it. Plus it's $42, and I can get a 98 inch belt at Tractor Supply for $23

Grumpy

Might be too tight if not properly adjusted. If too tight, the belt may break prematurely and will cause extra pressure on the bearings in the pulleys and engine.
Yeah, I've read that and that's why I asked. As I said, 1/2 inch over 98 inches shouldn't make that big a difference IMO..but I could be wrong..lol

DaSDGuy

Thx..I feel it will work being that 1/2 inch over 98 inches shouldn't make that much of a difference. Ordered the OEM part from a local hardware store and they said it would be in this past Tuesday and it still hasn't arrived and I am getting kind of a runaround about it. Plus it's $42, and I can get a 98 inch belt at Tractor Supply..
Try the manufacture site:

Ariens Replacement Parts

Grumpy

Try the manufacture site:

Been there, done that. Don't want to wait any longer and order it from them (expensive,too)..Picked this tractor up for $200, not real concerned about using other than OEM parts. I would be surprised if a factory site would address the belt size difference. But thanks for the suggestion :)

DaSDGuy

Been there, done that. Don't want to wait any longer and order it from them (expensive,too)..Picked this tractor up for $200, not real concerned about using other than OEM parts. I would be surprised if a factory site would address the belt size difference. But thanks for the suggestion :)
Well if you can adjust the pulley to allow for 1/2" then it may work fine. Ask the guys at Tractor Supply before you buy the 98". It should be right up their alley.

PeoplesElbow

Probably more than you want to spend, but I use these in my woodworking machines, never have to worry about the proper length belt again.

Grumpy

Probably more than you want to spend, but I use these in my woodworking machines, never have to worry about the proper length belt again.

Interesting, I had never seen them before.

And all, thanks for the comments, appreciate your input