VA: Bill to ban assisted pregnancy for single women

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
Children do not have much of a chance these days of growing up with both parents staying together. You want to start them right off the bat with only one parent? How would you have felt with only one parent your whole life? JMHO...

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Dutch6 said:
Children do not have much of a chance these days of growing up with both parents staying together. You want to start them right off the bat with only one parent? How would you have felt with only one parent your whole life? JMHO...
That's not really the point of it. They've been talking alot about it here in VA. It's really just aimed at keeping homosexual women from having and raising children. In order for it to pass, they have to include all women or someone will file a lawsuit claiming discrimination.

Geek

Dutch6 said:

Yeah, kids being raised by one parent is really rare, hardly any single moms that were dumped by the loving husband..

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Dutch6 said:
The flipside, Dutch, is say you are a 45 year old man or woman who has never married? You're successful, have a good job, but would like to start a family. Meanwhile, you're still getting older with each passing day.

Should you not be allowed to have a kid?

These laws are aimed at homosexual couples, but they also affect single women who want to use assisted reproduction, single men who want to adopt, and believe it or not, make it even more difficult than it already is for a COUPLE, homosexual or not, to adopt.

Kids need two parents, one male, one female, I agree. And unfortunately, an aunt or a grandfather isn't going to provide an adequate substitute for either. But at the same time, when you put yourself in their shoes, it's hard to tell someone that they shouldn't be allowed to be a parent because they're not married.

The bills are flawed. I understand what they're trying to do - I'm not sure whether or not I agree with it yet - but they're going about it the wrong way.