Va. Gov. Northam

PeoplesElbow

I pointed that out to a young friend this morning. To them the 80s was this long ago ancient history, before the world was graced with their presence. I had to remind her that the mid-80s was 20 years after the civil rights movement. And no, it wasn't acceptable to dress up as a KKK person or run around in blackface. Not even in Virginia.

I'm younger than this guy, but can remember the 80s and I can't ever remember seeing anyone do blackface or anyone possibly thinking it was ok.

officeguy

Is he gone yet ?

I think the only reason he is still around is that his second in command has a sticky situation from his past that is coming around to bite him.

mitzi

“His whole life has been about exactly the opposite and that’s what you need to examine, not something that occurred 30 years ago,” said Senate Minority Leader Richard L. Saslaw (D-Fairfax). “While it’s in very poor taste, I would think no one in the General Assembly who would like their college conduct examined. I would hate to have to go back and examine my two years in the Army. Trust me. I was 18 years old and I was a handful, OK? His life since then has been anything but. It’s been a life of helping people, and many times for free.”

The left forgets so quickly. #kavanaugh

I get so tired of all of these people making excuses because they were in college. Wasn't the governor 25 years old in this medical school yearbook? Grant you, I sure had a lot to learn when I was young but at 18 I was out on my own, full time job, an apartment and shortly after married and a child. You know being and acting like an adult as I'm sure many of you were. I'm really surprised this picture didn't pop up before now.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I get so tired of all of these people making excuses because they were in college. Wasn't the governor 25 years old in this medical school yearbook? Grant you, I sure had a lot to learn when I was young but at 18 I was out on my own, full time job, an apartment and shortly after married and a child. You know being and acting like an adult as I'm sure many of you were. I'm really surprised this picture didn't pop up before now.

Dems are hypocrites and agenda driven. To hell with America, according to them Dems.
And, good for you that you were so resourceful. God bless The USA.

mitzi

Dems are hypocrites and agenda driven. To hell with America, according to them Dems.
And, good for you that you were so resourceful. God bless The USA.

They're ALL hypocrites, both parties. Just don't point out the Dems. Thanks, but I don't think I was resourceful, that's what everyone I knew did back then. When you got out of high school, you grew up. I bet it was the same with you and your friends.

SamSpade

I get so tired of all of these people making excuses because they were in college. Wasn't the governor 25 years old in this medical school yearbook? Grant you, I sure had a lot to learn when I was young but at 18 I was out on my own, full time job, an apartment and shortly after married and a child. You know being and acting like an adult as I'm sure many of you were.

I don't know if THAT is the point of what they're saying - that youthful indiscretion overtook good sound judgment, but more like - it really was quite a long time ago, and people do in fact, change. People who know me now would be surprised to know that at that age, I was quiet, barely talked, sullen and generally unfriendly to most people - I changed. A lot of things happened to me in my 20's and 30's, and I'm just shy of 60.

So in that respect, I fully get the idea of - it was a long time ago. I did things in my youth that I am still ashamed of.

On the other hand, this is politics, pop culture, fame and what have you, where if you so much as ADMIT that you once muttered the "N-word" under your breath thirty years ago - your career is over. And while I think it stinks - and I consider it hypocritical - I at least applaud the left for at the very LEAST trying to apply the standard they throw against everyone else, against one of their own. I do think it is a lot of fake pearl-clutching because the optics will paint them all badly if it gets more traction. The Dems can never allow themselves to be tainted as being racists, because so much of their power rests on race-baiting.

Here's my thought - if it were ANYTHING other than politics - or if politics were a fair arena - I'd say forgive and forget. Since it IS politics, for the sake of the party and its image, I'd see him resign, because it will never end. It's a shame. You wouldn't have the president of your company pushed out for something done 35 years ago that is not a crime but just extremely bad taste - but when your life is in the public and you make your livelihood largely from public opinion, it is time to go.

I'm really surprised this picture didn't pop up before now.

Yeah, I haven't looked up where this came from. It would have been more interesting during the campaign. As much as Justin Fairfax is bellyaching about the timing of his own allegations - which sound fake, because he's a handsome man and I can easily believe a woman would have wanted to be with him 15 years ago at a hotel - it would surprise me not at all if the unearthing came from HIM.

Kinnakeet

And not that a high school yearbook would have made this any less racist, but note this is from medical school. He was training to be a doctor when this was published.

What an amazing time to be alive!
What is racist about the picture maybe the man was going to a halloween party I bet plenty of negros dressed up as white people but then again that would probably not prolly be alright in the demorats party..just look at slick willy and Killary back in the day

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Yeah, I haven't looked up where this came from. It would have been more interesting during the campaign.
From what I have heard/understand it was brought out by some/one of his med-school classmates after the airing of his "infanticide" position. You know the story that got very little play by the MSM.

SamSpade

From what I have heard/understand it was brought out by some/one of his med-school classmates after the airing of his "infanticide" position. You know the story that got very little play by the MSM.

And the more I think about THAT, the more it seems damning on the press. The press mentioned almost nothing of the infanticide remark, but they haven't STOPPED with the racial thing.

Hannibal

It's never fair to judge the actions of one's history against the social norms and PC culture of today's society. Everyone would be found guilty of infractions.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Yeah, I haven't looked up where this came from. It would have been more interesting during the campaign. As much as Justin Fairfax is bellyaching about the timing of his own allegations - which sound fake, because he's a handsome man and I can easily believe a woman would have wanted to be with him 15 years ago at a hotel - it would surprise me not at all if the unearthing came from HIM.

Y'know? You should be posting a blog on the internet. What's your assessment of what's happening and what you have seen and done in the years you travelled, adopted, worked, etc.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What's worse than the photo is him lying his ass off about it. And not even good lies. Is he seriously trying to say that this is the first time he's ever seen his own page in his medical school yearbook??? Because that is not only a lie, it's a ****ing lie and he should be kicked out of office for being an insulting arrogant ass who couldn't even bother to come up with a more plausible story.

"I'm sorry."
"Oh, wait, I don't think that was me."
"Um, I was dressed up as Michael Jackson."
"Everybody dressed up as KKK back then."

Please. This is what I used to tell my son: do not insult me by trying to palm off that twaddle. If you're going to lie to me, at least put some effort into it and don't insult my intelligence.

Rommey

mitzi

Here's my thought - if it were ANYTHING other than politics - or if politics were a fair arena - I'd say forgive and forget.
I would too but this isn't like a bad joke from a comedian (example: Michael Richards). The lies and excuses he's coming up with are laughable.
So in that respect, I fully get the idea of - it was a long time ago. I did things in my youth that I am still ashamed of.
I get the idea to a point. I'm embarressed of some of the things I did in my younger years too. However, I wasn't going to medical school or going into politics, I expect more maturity and better judgement from those that are.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I get the idea to a point. I'm embarressed of some of the things I did in my younger years too. However, I wasn't going to medical school or going into politics, I expect more maturity and better judgement from those that are.

The photo was taken circa 1984, which means Northam was 25 years old. If he were a teenager, I'd be like...mmm....maybe... But not a 25 year old adult.

And again, he's acting like this is the first time he's ever seen his page in his med school yearbook, and that is a complete crock of crap. Did it never occur to him that that photo might be extremely offensive until just a few days ago when the media pointed it out?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm thinking pics taken at an 80s Halloween Party I attended as Elton John is gonna come back to bite me.

mitzi

The photo was taken circa 1984, which means Northam was 25 years old. If he were a teenager, I'd be like...mmm....maybe... But not a 25 year old adult.

And again, he's acting like this is the first time he's ever seen his page in his med school yearbook, and that is a complete crock of crap. Did it never occur to him that that photo might be extremely offensive until just a few days ago when the media pointed it out?
I agree with you. No excuse at 25 years old.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You'd think these politicians would do their own due diligence. They know what bad things they did that are going to come out and make them look like schmucks - why not reveal it themselves and get ahead of it? Then the story goes away because the shitbag politician has acknowledged it, owned it, and apologized.

It's like these people live in a bubble.