Va. Gov. Northam

truby20

Fighting like a girl
On this we absolutely agree, and notice how...it's a government entity? Private schools tend to gen out kids with an education, who graduate high school knowing things. The schools the government runs are hit or miss.

And yet you think capitalism sucks and the government should be in charge of our lives more?

I’m going to step away from the forum, my post was complete sarcasm. I hoped that was obvious.

I’m a full supporter of public education, so many gifted kids are born in to really tragic family situations. As a society it is critical that we educate them the best we can, they will be the ones running the show when we’re back in diapers. People of means shouldn’t be the only ones who get to educate their kids.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
I’m going to step away from the forum, my post was complete sarcasm. I hoped that was obvious.

I’m a full supporter of public education, so many gifted kids are born in to really tragic family situations. As a society it is critical that we educate them the best we can, they will be the ones running the show when we’re back in diapers. People of means shouldn't be the only ones who get to educate their kids.

No. Don't go.

If what we are doing with public education is, "doing the best we can", then we have some really serious problems. As well, the public school system should be charged and prosecuted for child abuse. Having kids sit 12 years in classrooms being indoctrinated and coming out ignorant in maths, writing, reading comprehension, leaving high schoolers unprepared for college-level coursework, let alone ready for entry into life after school and the workforce. When looking at international education scoring, in 2012 fifteen-year-olds from the United States finished 21st in reading, 25th in science and 33rd in math compared to kids around the world. To put it simply, money and unions is what the public education system it is all about.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
Why does everyone think I’m young? Maybe 39 is young, doesn’t feel that way.

Nebraska is another world compared to VA. I learned a lot about that the last few weeks...how VA, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS are really the South. Where that type of “stuff” would be in yearbooks.

I think the governor will hold on, it’s remarkable.

And I agree, the top 0.1% own it all. But the 99.9% run it all, social media is slowly making them aware of that power difference. The robots aren’t catching up fast enough, there will be an “adjustment”.

I want to add, I think all this talk about me being “young” speaks to the generational divide.

Most people in this forum, I’m assuming, didn’t have to incur tens of thousands of dollars of student debt, just to get an entry level job. So, we start out, below even in equity. Plus we get the benefit of having to be stuck in a class room for an additional 5 years, missing out on those real wage earning years the boomers got from 18-22.

Then you saddle the next generation, whatever is past millennial, what is that, Z? With even more needless “education”, just to do a job that could probably be done with only 20 hours of comittment a week. That system is bloated, the secondary education system. But, we never speak of that, just like we never speak of the bloat in health care.

I don’t know the answer, I just know that this forum swings boomer generation and older. 39 isn’t young. There is a reason why AOC, Warren, Bernie are all getting a lot of attention...your kids are getting screwed, they just want the same life you had.

After reading more of what you've written, I sense a bit of butt hurt going on here. Life not meeting your expectations? Are fellas you are dating making you pay for your share at dinner, instead of paying for all of it? Not being paid what you think you are worth at your job? Having a hard time quitting Facebook? Too many choices on the dating apps you are using? Can't focus because of too many things to watch on TV? Upset that your dumb ass actions and opinions from when you were 18 will live forever on the internet? Still not used to being an adult? Finding it difficult to cope with anything that makes sense in your narcissistic life. You're more accustomed to taking rather than giving? Worried that you have no culture, no sense of self, no identity and no useful opinions on life?

It's not just you that doesn't know the answer, no one really does. We just know what works and what doesn't. It's also called personal responsibility that we are/were taught from from a very young age. That things in life aren't free and that if you want something you must work for it, or, go without. That no one owes us anything. Simple stuff really.

This_person

I’m a full supporter of public education, so many gifted kids are born in to really tragic family situations. As a society it is critical that we educate them the best we can, they will be the ones running the show when we’re back in diapers. People of means shouldn’t be the only ones who get to educate their kids.
It was obvious that you were sarcastic, but that doesn't mean you were wrong.

Education is a great thing. What would you think of school vouchers for all parents to choose the school, vice people who are not "of means" being the only ones with a choice?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
People of means shouldn’t be the only ones who get to educate their kids.

I agree. But notice that's the way it is? Public education is such a joke that ... people make jokes about it. Those with the means to do so don't send their kids to public school, they send them somewhere they'll get an education. Note all those politicians who tout public schools? And where do they send their kids? That's right: Sidwell Friends or some other swanky private school. Because public schools are so great that they're not good enough for their kids.

I hope you don't leave the forum because you are a thoughtful contributor, but like everything else in life you have to make your own choices.

glhs837

Power with Control
Then you saddle the next generation, whatever is past millennial, what is that, Z? With even more needless “education”, just to do a job that could probably be done with only 20 hours of comittment a week. That system is bloated, the secondary education system. But, we never speak of that, just like we never speak of the bloat in health care.

But we do, I know I do. Educational requirements are out of hand, but whats even more out of hand is the cost of education. As with health care, once people started feeding these systems basically unaccounted for govt dollars or govt backed loans, the systems get out of control regarding cost. Some seem to think the answer is just making things "free". Or paid for by govt. Scary, because you get what you work for. And handing out govt backed loans for fields where there is basically zero chance of earning enough to pay off those out of control loans is criminal.

officeguy

So Northam really managed to dig in.

Unfortunate for his little padawan, there is no statute of limitations for rape in North Carolina and under Mass law, it can be suspended once the offender leaves the state. Both of the alleged victims are scheduled to talk to police and prosecutors, so while I doubt that he gets convicted in either of those cases, an LG with pending criminal cases against him is pretty much dead politically.