VA Water and Septic Inspection

bulldog

I can't answer your question, but why in the world would the VA have anything to do with water and septic?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
There was a thread in here not to long ago talking about the septic test.
I can not find it.
Can any of you?

tuffenuff2

We redid our VA loan and had someone come and do ours. Will try and find the number for you. Real nice man.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
Refinancing the house with a VA loan.
Never knew of a requirement for these inspections for a VA streamlined refinance, only for an original purchase. When did it become a requirement for a well and septic inspection for a VA refinance? Matter of fact, I just checked... there is no requirement for a well and septic inspection for a VA refinance. Make sure you aren't spending money when you don't have to, there are those that will try to take advantage. If the lender is trying force it, find a new lender.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
If I may ...Never knew of a requirement for these inspections for a VA streamlined refinance, only for an original purchase. When did it become a requirement for a well and septic inspection for a VA refinance? Matter of fact, I just checked... there is no requirement for a well and septic inspection for a VA refinance. Make sure you aren't spending money when you don't have to, there are those that will try to take advantage. If the lender is trying force it, find a new lender.

The original loan was not a VA loan.

USWWarrior

It's a Jeep thang!
You can use anybody that is certified to do that type of inspection you want. They just have to provide the documentation to the loan processor. There are different levels to the inspection and I think VA just requires the minimum one. I chose to do the full blown inspections for both when I bought my house, luckily I did, the septic system failed. If had not done it, about 6 months to a year after buying I would have had to replace it myself.

Hannibal

VA loans require a higher level of inspection. For example, the buyers of my current house went with a VA loan and the inspection report called out random things such as spacing for ornamental railing (too wide = safety issue). These were original to the house so it was an odd request. It ultimately got worked out.

As for the water/septic - they want to ensure things are operational and functioning as expected. Considering the expense of replacement, it provides some level of certainty that someone doesn't inherit an expensive problem and bail on the house.

Probably all home inspection companies can perform this test. For septic, it will be either a dye test (basic) or a pick and shovel (more invasive and expensive).

Inspection Connection does this. They did fine by me.