Vehical registration/inspection question

Jameo

What?!
Husband's car is registered in CO and he wants to register it here in MD. He is active duty navy due to retire next year. Do we have to do the whole inspection thing to register here in MD? I don't think we do being that it's not changing owners but I'm not 100% sure.

TIA

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Husband's car is registered in CO and he wants to register it here in MD. He is active duty navy due to retire next year. Do we have to do the whole inspection thing to register here in MD? I don't think we do being that it's not changing owners but I'm not 100% sure.

TIA

Going through this right now getting my DIL's car registerd in MD..

HAS to pass inspection, so doing all of her brakes and rotors to get it by.

Having said that, why wouldn't you kick that can down the road?? If he's still military is there a requirement to register here in MD? My Understanding when I was in was you can keep your license and registration in whatever state until you retire (and a while after, like when they both expire).

Figure if you push it out two years, that's a little less in sales tax that you'll have to pay to MD when you do register it.

Now if he has a MD driver's license I don't know what the laws are. Some states won't allow you to mix and match.. (I'm POSITIVE MD will be one of them).

dolemite

Hi Jameo,

I do believe you have to get the car inspected. Just to be sure you can call Direct Express tag and title. Their number is 301-862-5533, hope this answers your question.

SoMDGirl42

Oldest girl is doing this now. Car is registered in GA. She has to have the car inspected and she had to change her GA license to a MD license again.

Jameo

What?!
Going through this right now getting my DIL's car registerd in MD..

HAS to pass inspection, so doing all of her brakes and rotors to get it by.

Having said that, why wouldn't you kick that can down the road?? If he's still military is there a requirement to register here in MD? My Understanding when I was in was you can keep your license and registration in whatever state until you retire (and a while after, like when they both expire).

Figure if you push it out two years, that's a little less in sales tax that you'll have to pay to MD when you do register it.

Now if he has a MD driver's license I don't know what the laws are. Some states won't allow you to mix and match.. (I'm POSITIVE MD will be one of them).

No requirement to register it here now and he has a CO license still. Next year it will have to be registered here and he'll get a MD license, which we will most likely wait until then but I just wanted to make sure before we started the process.

SoMDGirl42

No requirement to register it here now and he has a CO license still. Next year it will have to be registered here and he'll get a MD license, which we will most likely wait until then but I just wanted to make sure before we started the process.

You'll also have to pay taxes on it if he didn't pay in CO when he bought it or it is less than the MD 6%.

and you'll shiat a brick when you realize he has to pay, I *believe, it's $80 for a MD license now. WTF??? :faint:

itsbob

I bowl overhand

I want to say when I moved here my truck was still registered in PA (the fireworks stores in PA didn't like it when I parked in front of their stores)..

but had to get a MD license almost as soon as I moved here.

Kept the truck registered in PA until I traded it in, about 1.5 - 2 years, and I recall getting stopped for speeding and the state trooper made a comment about the MD license and the PA tags but don't remember what he said about it. All I remember him saying was: "You're a veteran? Can you prove it?" and him letting me go with a verbal warning!

Jameo

What?!
I want to say when I moved here my truck was still registered in PA (the fireworks stores in PA didn't like it when I parked in front of their stores)..

but had to get a MD license almost as soon as I moved here.

Kept the truck registered in PA until I traded it in, about 1.5 - 2 years, and I recall getting stopped for speeding and the state trooper made a comment about the MD license and the PA tags but don't remember what he said about it. All I remember him saying was: "You're a veteran? Can you prove it?" and him letting me go with a verbal warning!

We got busted from MVA when we bought the Jeep which is registered here in MD and the insurance policy was either CO or CA, not MD which apparently is a no no :lol:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
We got busted from MVA when we bought the Jeep which is registered here in MD and the insurance policy was either CO or CA, not MD which apparently is a no no :lol:

Seems a little ridiculous as I don't think the insurance company will care. If you're in an accident and the car is covered they don't care where it's registered.

For decades, my insurance was always out of a small State Farm office in NH.. started because the State Farm offices in KY refused to insure soldiers.

Must be some kind of tax levied against car insurance in MD..

SoMDGirl42

Seems a little ridiculous as I don't think the insurance company will care. If you're in an accident and the car is covered they don't care where it's registered.

For decades, my insurance was always out of a small State Farm office in NH.. started because the State Farm offices in KY refused to insure soldiers.

I ran into the same problem in Maine. The vehicles were purchased in Maine but our previous vehicles were purchased in Maryland with MD insurance. It was 3 years, but they told us we had to have Maine insurance, even though I was using State Farm at the time, and they had local offices in Maine as well as MD. That was fine with me, the Maine insurance was cheaper. :lol:

Jameo

What?!

MVA cared enough to send us one of those proof of insurance things. If a vehicle is register in MD, the insurance policy must be in MD also.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

maybe they figure you will not have enough coverage for this high classed area

a lot of the insurance reg's

mandatory insurance etc​

IIRC, were rolled out when Mandel was in the gov'ners house

my ex fil liked to go one about how we got all these regulations in the 1970's when Mandell was in office, because he was paying back friends that got him elected

this supposition was born out by the alleged fact that when Mandell was in trouble for the Feds ... people that came forward for his defense, were all in the insurance business

[did some research, this was interesting]

30 years ago, turmoil surrounded Gov. Mandel
Our history, our stories

In 1975, one year into Mandel’s second term in office, mail fraud and racketeering indictments were handed up against Mandel and five other men.

The indictments alleged that, in 1972, Mandel had used his office to give favored treatment to his co-defendants, who owned the Marlboro Race Track in Prince George’s County.

On New Year’s Eve 1971, the co-defendants purchased the race track. Marlboro, like all of Maryland’s race tracks, was state regulated. It was allotted 18 racing days a year. Wanting to expand their allowable race dates, the owners approached Mandel and asked for his help.

Mandel, who until then had been a staunch advocate of strict horse racing regulations, dropped his opposition to a bill pending in the Maryland General Assembly that would increase Marlboro’s racing days from 18 to 36. On Jan. 12, 1972, the bill passed. Two months later Mandel lobbied the Maryland General Assembly, urging them unsuccessfully to increase the number of racing days, this time from 36 to 94.