Vehicle Computers Recording Data

K

Kizzy

Guest
I have an interesting request, the first of its kind in my office, of course, I am not in a position to make the decision on the matter so I punted it really hard off my desk.

The request is from an insurance company wanting to access the "black box" or any computerized data within this vehicle. I'm already aware that a mechanic can connect a computer to your vehicle and find out mechanical information (i.e. your OS2 sensor is bad), this I understand, but the manufacture can come down and also connect to your vehicle and determine that yes your check brake like was on and the vehicle was start 20+ times after the warning indicator light came on (information like this). Anyone ever heard of this? My analytical side wonders what if we have computers that recorded speed at all times in the vehicles now or if it isn't too far off in the future that a computer in a vehicle would record every move? Humm? What kind of data does Onstar record, if any? I'm not even sure what the law is on the matter, like I said it has been punted for further research.
 

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
Originally posted by IM4Change
My analytical side wonders what if we have computers that recorded speed at all times in the vehicles now or if it isn't too far off in the future that a computer in a vehicle would record every move?
My uncle is a truck driver and they have had these monitoring systems in their trucks for a long time. He worked for a major chain out west and was fired because he exceeded the speed limit to avoid an accident. He would probably would have kept the job if he just been in the collision. :duh:

I can imagine there are already systems in cars, but what they record I don't know. On the one hand, it will help with accident reconstruction and vehicle maintenance. On the other, Big Brother is watching. :twitch:
 
K

Kizzy

Guest
Big Brother is watching for sure.

Vetronix Event Data Recovery System - that is how they do it The article was written in 1999 and at that point they expected the interface cables to be available commercially in the summer of 99. No doubt, they have gotten much further in their original quest.

The accident they are inquiring about was a fatality, but it make you wonder if it starts there, at what point, will the rules be so flexible to view the data in a simple minor injury accident or just every day driving habits. Just imagine your insurance company connecting your vehicle and saying humm Mr. Jones, I see you travel at 60 MPH everyday to get to work. Now, what is the speed limit again? You are not a safe driver so we will not insure you or insure you at a higher rate. :shrug:
 

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Don't even get me started on insurance companies. You know that there are agencies out there that go out and dig up all the dirt on you they can. I JUST got a notice that my rates are going to be doubled because of the reckless driving ticket I got in VA 2 years ago. First of all why is this coming up now it happened in June 2002. Secondly since I did my driver improvement and paid my fine nothing happened to my record. No suspension or anything. This was in VA and it's not even on my MD driving record. Where in the hell are these places getting this info from?
 

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I'm really on the fence on this one. :ohwell: On one hand, it's essentially "spying" which is NOT cool. On the other, if you aren't breaking the law or doing something else wrong, why should you worry. :shrug:

I hate to say it, but I think having something like this might make folks a little more aware of what they are doing when they are driving. Obviously, it won't prove when someone is talking on their cell phone, curling their hair, shaving, etc., but maybe if folks slowed down a little, a few less lives would be taken on the roadways. :ohwell: I know, I'm guilty of speeding from time to time, so I can't talkk really, but I'm usually just trying to stay with traffic and not pizz off other folks.
 

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by pixiegirl
Don't even get me started on insurance companies. You know that there are agencies out there that go out and dig up all the dirt on you they can. I JUST got a notice that my rates are going to be doubled because of the reckless driving ticket I got in VA 2 years ago. First of all why is this coming up now it happened in June 2002. Secondly since I did my driver improvement and paid my fine nothing happened to my record. No suspension or anything. This was in VA and it's not even on my MD driving record. Where in the hell are these places getting this info from?
Pix, I think there's some sort of centralized data bank insurance companies use. That's what my attorney told me, anyway. :ohwell:

My insurance co. didn't find out about my speeding ticket I got in 2000 till 2001, so they raised my rates and kept them up for 3 years, even though they were a year late. :ohwell: It's the only one I've ever gotten though so it wasn't much. (knocking on wood)
 

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by tatercake
Pix, I think there's some sort of centralized data bank insurance companies use. That's what my attorney told me, anyway. :ohwell:

My insurance co. didn't find out about my speeding ticket I got in 2000 till 2001, so they raised my rates and kept them up for 3 years, even though they were a year late. :ohwell: It's the only one I've ever gotten though so it wasn't much. (knocking on wood)
But was your ticket in the same state your licenced to drive in? Mine wasn't and isn't even on my MD record. That's what gets me.
 

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by pixiegirl
But was your ticket in the same state your licenced to drive in? Mine wasn't and isn't even on my MD record. That's what gets me.
yes, it was ... I was licensed in DE and driving/living in DE at the time. :ohwell:

I don't think it matters much, though, to your insurance company where the incident happens. For instance, if you had hit someone in VA, they'd still be paying ... they were covering you in the event something happened to you while you drove in VA, so in a sense (I'm guessing this is how they look at it), since they were "available" to cover you there, they are also available to increase your premium for committing an driving infraction while you are there.

It sucks, I know ... but I'm thinking that's the "logic" behind it. :ohwell:
 

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by pixiegirl
Don't even get me started on insurance companies. You know that there are agencies out there that go out and dig up all the dirt on you they can. I JUST got a notice that my rates are going to be doubled because of the reckless driving ticket I got in VA 2 years ago. First of all why is this coming up now it happened in June 2002. Secondly since I did my driver improvement and paid my fine nothing happened to my record. No suspension or anything. This was in VA and it's not even on my MD driving record. Where in the hell are these places getting this info from?
Some states share data with other states. I've gotten a ticket in Virginia that showed up on my Indiana driving record.

However, because of differences in state laws, point systems, and software, the data often takes a while (sometimes up to 2 years) to reflect on your in-state driving record.

In addition, insurance companies don't check your records every day. They run random audits at random times; sometimes you get flagged and sometimes you don't. I went 5 years without having my record checked, and then it was checked twice in the same. Also, if you make changes to your policy, or buy a new car, etc., it tends to flag you for an audit.

My mom is an ins. agent in Indiana, so I know most of this stuff from there.
 

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by pixiegirl
But was your ticket in the same state your licenced to drive in? Mine wasn't and isn't even on my MD record. That's what gets me.
I dunno about that one. :shrug: Are you sure it isn't on the MD record? Have you checked your MD record lately?
 

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
Originally posted by pixiegirl
But was your ticket in the same state your licenced to drive in? Mine wasn't and isn't even on my MD record. That's what gets me.
It doesn't matter. A friend got a 'reckless driving' citation for being in a HOV lane in NJ. Even though he paid a lawyer to represent him and clear the ticket while paying fines and lawyer fees, it still showed up on his driving record. :ohwell:
 
Last edited:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by sleuth14
I dunno about that one. :shrug: Are you sure it isn't on the MD record? Have you checked your MD record lately?
Yup, not a thing on my MD record about it.
 
Originally posted by sleuth14
I dunno about that one. :shrug: Are you sure it isn't on the MD record? Have you checked your MD record lately?
How do you check your driving record. Just got a ticket in VA last month and paid it this morning, will it show up on my MD record?
 

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by workin hard
How do you check your driving record. Just got a ticket in VA last month and paid it this morning, will it show up on my MD record?
Probably not right away... It really depends on the state-to-state agreements. I think there's something called a "driver's license compact". A quick search turned this up: http://www.saltsburg.org/Police/driver_license_compact.htm

As for checking your record, it's public info. You can go to the MVA and ask. You have to pay a small fee.

I don't know about Maryland, but some states let you check online at their MVA, BMV, etc. websites.
 

willie

Well-Known Member
The sensors in your air bag equiped car records all the information needed to hang you. I'm not sure if insurance company's can legally obtain this info but law inforcement sure can. Behind the ash tray of the C5 Corvette is a small silver box (not Black). That is it. The info is primarily used to activate the air bags. If you have air bags, you've got the box.
 
Last edited:

dustin

UAIOE
I believe those recording devices are only on GM vehicles...for now. Can't find any articles though....
 
Top