Vehicle Emissions Testing

gemma_rae

Anybody know if the "Check Engine" light being on is an automatic Fail? For the last 8 years, I go to the auto repair shop, they say oh, the throttle body is dirty. They clean the throttle body, the light goes out, I pass the test and the light is back on in two weeks. Then I'm good for two more years.

There is no change in idle, performance, gas mileage, exhaust, nothing. But I get to pay $150 every two years to have my throttle body cleaned. Shouldn't I at least get flowers after they F**K me?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
That's one of the biggest ploys to get your money. It's a 10 minute task to clean it yourself IF it is indeed dirty, which is highly suspect.

Grumpy

Not that big an issue to clean a throttle body, but any time I've had to clean one, the vehicle definitely has issues with missing, lurching. With the check engine light coming on 2 weeks later, I think you have an intermittent problem not related to the throttle body..my 2 cents..

glhs837

Power with Control
Step one is to find out what the light is lighting up for. A lot of codes, just resettting them makes them go away for a while. Swing in to Autozone or Advance Auto parts and see if they can read the codes for you. Let us know what they said.

gemma_rae

Not that big an issue to clean a throttle body, but any time I've had to clean one, the vehicle definitely has issues with missing, lurching. With the check engine light coming on 2 weeks later, I think you have an intermittent problem not related to the throttle body..my 2 cents..
I think you're right Grumpy. No issues with idle, acceleration, all smooth. I want my flowers!

gemma_rae

Step one is to find out what the light is lighting up for. A lot of codes, just resettting them makes them go away for a while. Swing in to Autozone or Advance Auto parts and see if they can read the codes for you. Let us know what they said.
Supposedly, they are reading the codes glhs. I do consider them a good repair shop, but I am going to take your advice and see if I can get another reading. I read your siggy, I'm capable of much unpleasantness too!:yay:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Anybody know if the "Check Engine" light being on is an automatic Fail?
Yes, from the VEIP site - "If the OBD "check engine" or similar warning lights are lit on the dashboard, the vehicle will fail the OBD test. If the light is lit, you should see your dealer or repair technician before coming in for the test. "

gemma_rae

Yes, from the VEIP site - "If the OBD "check engine" or similar warning lights are lit on the dashboard, the vehicle will fail the OBD test. If the light is lit, you should see your dealer or repair technician before coming in for the test. "
Rats! That's what I was afraid of. Thank You Ken.

homedepot20

Sorry, and if you just get someone to "reset" the codes right before the test the OBD will indicate a "not ready" status and you will also fail.
I was told to disconnect battery to reset light for inspection ONLY to learn vehicle needed 80 miles to reset computer for testing

glhs837

Power with Control
There's no code for "dirty throttle body" though, which has me curious. There are other codes that could indicate an issue there, though. But normally, unless you ae buying gas out of the back of a truck in an alley, your throttle body should not get that dirty that fast.

And some "good places" view a slight upcharge like that as just taking care of business. Certainly doesn't hurt the vehicle, and if the cost was an issue, you would have pitched a B a while back.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
And some "good places" view a slight upcharge like that as just taking care of business.
If it is truly warranted, fine. But I've had multiple service station tell me it "needed" cleaning when in fact they hadn't even popped the hood. At least make a friggin' attempt.

homedepot20

Emissions testing / Safety Inspections just another way for the State to collect revenue
Everyone needs a working Car

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If it is truly warranted, fine. But I've had multiple service station tell me it "needed" cleaning when in fact they hadn't even popped the hood. At least make a friggin' attempt.
Considering that the typical throttle body is about as dirt simple as a muffler clamp, it's hard to figure what kind of "dirty" one could be that would cause any error code to be posted. I've had to clean the idle air control (IAC) valves on many over the years - especially the PWM type like Ford used so many of - but squirting some "throttle body cleaner" in to the intake does not do much for IAC valve crud.