Velocity and the old hammer.....

GregV814

Having a past of about 30 cars and trucks I know a thing or two...But first let me tell a story...My father was a general contractor. One of his carpenters told me that his prized hammer was the one he inherited from his grandfather who was also a carpenter...He claimed it had three different heads and four handles and swore it was his grandfathers hammer....

Velocity

Now one of the car shows on Velocity was the one with Shag and the Martin Brothers and hot hot wife...anyway, they agreed to take on some man's 72 C-10...It was rusty and in rough general condition. He left it for a complete make over. So the shop's expert, "Shag" found a Camaro hot engine for 10G...The shop bought a new C-10 frame for rebuild. Then they discovered the customers cab and bed were terrible. A new bed was purchased from LMC as was doors bumpers etc....The shop disposed of the man's cab and bought another cab...

The customer was overjoyed with his rebuilt truck....Just like the carpenters hammer.....

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Iron Resurrection, Amanda (Mandy), and the guy was happy with the product delivered, not a rebuilt truck. YW

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
that's not a make over ..... you might as well start with a clean VIN Plate and Title and go through the parts catalog

GregV814

well, that was kind of my point....so many of these shows never mention title process and thats why Boyd Coddington was in so much trouble when he left the Earth.....and you just can't pop rivet an old vin to a new door and call it your old truck....they never mention that a newly constructed frame has a certificate of origin etc.....

Ken King

PREMO Member
well, that was kind of my point....so many of these shows never mention title process and thats why Boyd Coddington was in so much trouble when he left the Earth.....and you just can't pop rivet an old vin to a new door and call it your old truck....they never mention that a newly constructed frame has a certificate of origin etc.....

Except maybe Fantomworks. They checked with VA and NC DMV/MVA and what they did was cut the original door jam VIN out and welded it into the new body being careful not to alter the original in any manner and then it didn't have to be titled/registered as a kit.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I really like Iron Resurrection.. Wish they would come out with some new shows.. I've watched the repeats a number of times.. They do kick ass work.. Shorty is the most talented one out of the bunch. JMHO.

GregV814

Except maybe Fantomworks. They checked with VA and NC DMV/MVA and what they did was cut the original door jam VIN out and welded it into the new body being careful not to alter the original in any manner and then it didn't have to be titled/registered as a kit.

Except:
1364. Altering Or Removing Motor Vehicle Identification Numbers

Section 511(a) of Title 18 makes it a felony knowingly to remove, obliterate, tamper with, or alter an identification number for a road motor vehicle or a road motor vehicle part. Section 511(b) of Title 18 creates exceptions for certain persons who engage in lawful conduct that may result in removal or alteration of an identification number. The legislative history is abundantly clear that subsection (b) is not intended to create a loophole for the operators of "chop shops." See H.R.Rep. No. 1087 on H.R. 6257, 98th Congress, 2d Sess. 23-25 (1984).

Section 511(c) of Title 18 contains the definitions for "identification number," "motor vehicle," "motor vehicle demolisher," and "motor vehicle scrap processor." The term "identification number" means a number or symbol that is inscribed or affixed for purposes of identification under chapter 301 and Part C of subtitle VI of Title 49.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
..... and you just can't pop rivet an old vin to a new door and call it your old truck ....

I'd argue there is no Criminal Intent here .... many guys practically do that considering what is being restored these days, all the good cars are gone, you are left with a shell that laid in a field for 30 yrs

did you see how bad of shape the 2nd Bullet Mustang was .... it will be completely rebuilt

2nd bullit stang.jpg

2nd bullit stang-2.jpg

2nd bullit stang-3.jpg

Last edited:

Ken King

PREMO Member
Except:
1364. Altering Or Removing Motor Vehicle Identification Numbers

Section 511(a) of Title 18 makes it a felony knowingly to remove, obliterate, tamper with, or alter an identification number for a road motor vehicle or a road motor vehicle part. Section 511(b) of Title 18 creates exceptions for certain persons who engage in lawful conduct that may result in removal or alteration of an identification number. The legislative history is abundantly clear that subsection (b) is not intended to create a loophole for the operators of "chop shops." See H.R.Rep. No. 1087 on H.R. 6257, 98th Congress, 2d Sess. 23-25 (1984).

Section 511(c) of Title 18 contains the definitions for "identification number," "motor vehicle," "motor vehicle demolisher," and "motor vehicle scrap processor." The term "identification number" means a number or symbol that is inscribed or affixed for purposes of identification under chapter 301 and Part C of subtitle VI of Title 49.

Nice that you left out what the law actually says -
18USC 511 said:
(a) A person who—
(1) knowingly removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters an identification number for a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part; or
(2) with intent to further the theft of a motor vehicle, knowingly removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters a decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act,
shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
(b)
(1) Subsection (a) of this section does not apply to a removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration by a person specified in paragraph (2) of this subsection (unless such person knows that the vehicle or part involved is stolen).
(2) The persons referred to in paragraph (1) of this subsection are—
(A) a motor vehicle scrap processor or a motor vehicle demolisher who complies with applicable State law with respect to such vehicle or part;
(B) a person who repairs such vehicle or part, if the removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration is reasonably necessary for the repair;
(C) a person who restores or replaces an identification number for such vehicle or part in accordance with applicable State law; and
(D) a person who removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters a decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act, if that person is the owner of the motor vehicle, or is authorized to remove, obliterate, tamper with or alter the decal or device by—
(i) the owner or his authorized agent;

GregV814

well, I guess my 5 years as an auto theft technician with a local police agency was all for naught.....however based on the valuable information I have learned here, I now have a 1965 Shelby Cobra once owned by a guy (named) and who signed the left rear door "C. Shelby"!!!! It looks like a Plymouth Savoy, circa 1957, but hey, it has a Shelby vin...... I guess since there was no criminal intent.... I will be heading off to Barrett-Jackson!!!