Verizon customers - your friendly reminder

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Check your plan and make sure there isn't a better (cheaper) one for your needs. I just saved $100/mo with a new plan that gives me more data for my hotspot.

Log and and go to your account.
Review your plan
There will be a note from Verizon saying they recommend a different plan and why, or it will say you're already using their recommended plan

They don't send you notices of these things so you have to be proactive and review it yourself periodically.

PS, throughout this Texas weather thing Verizon has been a champ. AT&T went down hard, as did a couple other providers, but Verizon was up with at least two bars through the whole thing.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
PS, throughout this Texas weather thing Verizon has been a champ. AT&T went down hard, as did a couple other providers, but Verizon was up with at least two bars through the whole thing.
Maybe this is why Uncle Warren purchased so many Verizon shares so recently.

PeoplesElbow

I update my prepaid account every year and it just keeps getting cheaper and cheaper. I think I'm down to $40/mo for 8 Gb

Clem72

Check your plan and make sure there isn't a better (cheaper) one for your needs. I just saved $100/mo with a new plan that gives me more data for my hotspot.

Review your plan
There will be a note from Verizon saying they recommend a different plan and why, or it will say you're already using their recommended plan

They don't send you notices of these things so you have to be proactive and review it yourself periodically.

If you use verizon, and use a hotspot, and use lots of data...why aren't you on Visible? It's $40 a month for unlimited everything. I use it as backup internet at home, and I get around 130mbit (faster than my Atlantic BB cable internet).

The service is owned and run by Verizon, and they are not slowed down or given lesser preference. The "catch" is that there is no 2g/3g, it's only 4g/5g. But given verizon is retiring both of those older services it's not much of a catch. And you can add "friends" to lower your cost, even if they are already members. Each friend in your group lowers your monthly cost by $5 until you hit $25 a month. I added my wife as well as a friend from my old workplace who mentioned he used them.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you use verizon, and use a hotspot, and use lots of data...why aren't you on Visible? It's $40 a month for unlimited everything. I use it as backup internet at home, and I get around 130mbit (faster than my Atlantic BB cable internet).

The service is owned and run by Verizon, and they are not slowed down or given lesser preference. The "catch" is that there is no 2g/3g, it's only 4g/5g. But given verizon is retiring both of those older services it's not much of a catch. And you can add "friends" to lower your cost, even if they are already members. Each friend in your group lowers your monthly cost by $5 until you hit $25 a month. I added my wife as well as a friend from my old workplace who mentioned he used them.

I'll look into it - thanks!

Clem72

I'll look into it - thanks!

The other "catch" for the unlimited hotspot is one device connected at a time, but I think that may actually be a restriction for most carriers. If you need more connections you can use your PC (with windows 10) to share your internet (basically making a hotspot of your computer that is connected to a hotspot) or buy a cheapo travel router that will act as a switch providing wireless/wired connections.

Here's an example of the travel router (also good for sharing hotel wifi and using a VPN if you wish):
Travel Router

When traveling I actually let my car connect to my phones hot spot, then everyone in my car connect to the cars wifi, which means they are all using my phone. Never had an issue.

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter

Review your plan

Hey... Thanks for posting this. I'm going to check and see what it says. I have Verizon. My wife has Visible.

SamSpade

When traveling I actually let my car connect to my phones hot spot, then everyone in my car connect to the cars wifi, which means they are all using my phone. Never had an issue.

I'm curious how this would work - -

I just upgraded to Verizon's Play More Unlimited - I recently got a 5G phone, and its selling point is for the same price as the regular Unlmited, I get to exploit more 5G features (and a few other things). One of the advertised features is "unlimited mobile hotspot" which of course, when you read the fine print is - after about 15G they throttle down the speed.

Does your car come with an access point or something? Or do you have a plug-in wifi module that you re-direct to your phone? And how does the phone handle the power drain?

I'm sometimes a bit of a Luddite when it comes to some things - my phone's Bluetooth capability made connecting to my car EASY. But I don't think my car has any kind of wi-fi built in.

Clem72

I'm curious how this would work - -

I just upgraded to Verizon's Play More Unlimited - I recently got a 5G phone, and its selling point is for the same price as the regular Unlmited, I get to exploit more 5G features (and a few other things). One of the advertised features is "unlimited mobile hotspot" which of course, when you read the fine print is - after about 15G they throttle down the speed.

Does your car come with an access point or something? Or do you have a plug-in wifi module that you re-direct to your phone? And how does the phone handle the power drain?

I'm sometimes a bit of a Luddite when it comes to some things - my phone's Bluetooth capability made connecting to my car EASY. But I don't think my car has any kind of wi-fi built in.

I'm sure there are a number of ways to do this. In my particular case the vehicle connects to my phone via bluetooth then has it's own hotspot.

SamSpade

Many do. They have cell transmitters/receivers built in. GMC can use their satellite links (OnStar).
I'll have to check mine. It's a Dodge, which means it has that stupid ass - "Uconnect" thing in it. I refuse to pay their huge fees for I think 2G.

gemma_rae

It will work until our COWS come home.:lol:

COWS= Cell On WheelS, mobile cellular units with telescoping towers used when the regular towers are compromised. They don't raise as high so the signal does not have the same range, but will do the trick in a pinch.:yay: