Verizon DSL

willie

Well-Known Member
Has anyone gone from Comcast cable to Verizon 3mb DSL? Is the difference in speed, if any, noticeable?
 
Last edited:

forestal

I'm the Boss of Me
Forget DSL, Fiber Optics is where it's at. When is Verizon putting their fiber optics down here???
 
S

somdebay

Guest
willie said:
Has anyone gone from Comcast cable to Verizon 3mb DSL? Is the difference in speed, if any, noticeable?
We tried. Didn't work, we couldn't even pull a strong enough signal from Verizon to get internet access. For high speed Comcast is the only way to go...in Calvert as of right now. It's funny how we have PAX so close. So many big technology companies...but we have some of the worst service.
 
C

chess

Guest
forestal said:
Forget DSL, Fiber Optics is where it's at. When is Verizon putting their fiber optics down here???
i totally agree... it will be a while before fios comes down here...

ive heard positives from comcast over in calvert... But also dsl is dedicated line... I have no issues with 3 megs... i do speedchecks all the time and have 3megs down at all times !
 
D

DealWithIt

Guest
willie said:
Has anyone gone from Comcast cable to Verizon 3mb DSL? Is the difference in speed, if any, noticeable?
I have Verizon DSL and I love it! :howdy:
 
M

Mousebaby

Guest
I have Verizon DSL also and I NEVER have problems! Always connected all the time 24/7! :yay:
 

Homer J

Power Chord
forestal said:
Forget DSL, Fiber Optics is where it's at. When is Verizon putting their fiber optics down here???

:killingme :killingme When I talked to them it sounded like they won't even get DSL down my way (Dameron) before the millenium is over. I know they have it south of me because they have a substation in Ridge. As for me, I have to live with dial-up for now. Can't justify the extra cost for cable or directway.
 

mingiz

Horse Poor
Where in Dameron are you? :howdy: I have Verizon DSL I live below Carrolls Equip. It's strange how verizon is. A friend has it and her daughter that lives across a field from her can't get it.... :shrug: I was amazed that I was able to get it a few years back....
 
willie said:
Has anyone gone from Comcast cable to Verizon 3mb DSL? Is the difference in speed, if any, noticeable?
I don't know about cable, but I can check the speed on my DSL if you want. In fact I think people were posting that somewhere on here a few months back.
 

LordStanley

I know nothing
somdebay said:
We tried. Didn't work, we couldn't even pull a strong enough signal from Verizon to get internet access. For high speed Comcast is the only way to go...in Calvert as of right now. It's funny how we have PAX so close. So many big technology companies...but we have some of the worst service.

Then there is something wrong with your phone lines in the house, or leading up to your house.

We have it at ours and it works great. Went to Speakeasy, ran a test and was pulling down Exactly 3mb and pushing up 750kb.
 
willie said:
Has anyone gone from Comcast cable to Verizon 3mb DSL? Is the difference in speed, if any, noticeable?
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if what I have is 3MB or not.
 

Homer J

Power Chord
mingiz said:
Where in Dameron are you? :howdy: I have Verizon DSL I live below Carrolls Equip. It's strange how verizon is. A friend has it and her daughter that lives across a field from her can't get it.... :shrug: I was amazed that I was able to get it a few years back....
I'm just south of Kessler's right on the Lex Park line. Kind of stuck in the middle.
 
M

Mousebaby

Guest
Download Speed: 1403 kbps (175.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 367 kbps (45.9 KB/sec transfer rate)


:confused: Is this good or bad? :shrug:
 

LordStanley

I know nothing
Mousebaby said:
Download Speed: 1403 kbps (175.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 367 kbps (45.9 KB/sec transfer rate)


:confused: Is this good or bad? :shrug:


that depends on what your paying for....


If your paying for 3mb download and only getting 1.4, then Id say its bad
 
Mousebaby said:
Download Speed: 1403 kbps (175.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 367 kbps (45.9 KB/sec transfer rate)


:confused: Is this good or bad? :shrug:
That looks about like what I was getting with reg. DSL so I'm thinking I don't have the 3MB upgrade or whatever that is.
 
M

Mousebaby

Guest
Well, I just found out that I may be having speed problems with my DSL. They are checking into it and are getting back to me tomorrow. In the meanwhile it was suggested that I get a new modem because the one I have is ancient :ohwell: So I guess I have to call Verizon sales and get one of those pronto. :bigwhoop:
 

willie

Well-Known Member
Mousebaby said:
Download Speed: 1403 kbps (175.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 367 kbps (45.9 KB/sec transfer rate)


:confused: Is this good or bad? :shrug:
That's half of what they advertised but I could live with it.

With my usage of the Internet, I can't tell the difference in speed until it gets below about 1.5 mbs. Comcast is getting $57.95 from me and Verizon says they can do $29.95. Comcast charges $3.17 for taxes and fees so that would probably apply to Verizon as well.
 
Top