Verizon Issues

mizteresa1965

So. I'm in the Southern Mechanicsville area. My Verizon land line has been acting up at house since before Christmas when the snow started to melt. I let it ride thinking it would be okay after everything dried up. Wrong! I realized Saturday that my land line is completely out. Got online, made a request for a service (yes, I checked the box thing outside of the house, no service there either). The online service request said they would contact me to let me know when they'd be out.

So today, I still haven't heard anything, so I contacted a friend of mine that works for verizon and he said the waiting time for residential service is "at least" 18 days!! :cds:

A friend of mine lost her service Christmas Eve and her estimate service date is supposed to be tomorrow. We'll see.

Who else has disrupted service? I'm just wondering how wide spread the outage is to warrant such a long waiting time.

sparkyaclown

The wait is a total joke. I've had my line go out 2 or 3 times after we have had allot of rain/snow. Call and schedule an appointment and always get told it will be 2 weeks before they get out. Of course before the appointment day comes along the ground dries up and phone starts working so they cancel the appointment. I wonder sometimes if I am not given that timeframe because I have informed them that I've checked outside and the problem is with their line.

Had it been something they could charge me for I bet they'd be out there the next day.

Micki

So. I'm in the Southern Mechanicsville area. My Verizon land line has been acting up at house since before Christmas when the snow started to melt.

I have been fighting with Verizon for the last 2 years (see my thread "Verizon sux" from December). And you are absolutely right, they hope everything will dry up and here you go you dumb Verizon costumer (just like me), nothing wrong, is there!!!!
Lines work perfectly fine again, no noise, no cut offs - everything is peachy once again.
Haven't made a decision yet but I think I will go with digital that some forumites and friends suggested.

red_explorer

Medical issues

My phone lines were acting up around Thanksgiving a few years ago...every time it rained. I finally got on the phone, worked my way up the chain, and explained my husband had medical issues, and the phones had to be working. They came out the next day. Every time since then (maybe 2 times), next day, no problem.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I had this problem last week where I had no dial tone for two days. To correct the problem, we had to unplug everything associated with the phone lines from both the outlet and the actual device. This includes all phones, internet and satallite boxes. Wait 5 minutes and then plug in a non-cordless phone back in to see if it worked. Luckily it did.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
So. I'm in the Southern Mechanicsville area. My Verizon land line has been acting up at house since before Christmas when the snow started to melt. I let it ride thinking it would be okay after everything dried up. Wrong! I realized Saturday that my land line is completely out. Got online, made a request for a service (yes, I checked the box thing outside of the house, no service there either). The online service request said they would contact me to let me know when they'd be out.
So today, I still haven't heard anything, so I contacted a friend of mine that works for verizon and he said the waiting time for residential service is "at least" 18 days!! :cds:
A friend of mine lost her service Christmas Eve and her estimate service date is supposed to be tomorrow. We'll see.
Who else has disrupted service? I'm just wondering how wide spread the outage is to warrant such a long waiting time.
Verizon NEVER calls anyone back! There's a long story behind this but basically, Verizon has made many bad employee decisions in the last 12 years and no longer cares about customers on copper wired phone lines. They do this, both, because of downsizing and their desire to make you want to go to their fiber optic network. Call them to connect you to their fiber network and they'll be there tomorrow! They've downsized waayyy too much in the last decade. I know because I was one of them.
All their really experienced techs are gone and even their CEO plans to sell off as much of their copper lines as possible.
There's just not enough techs left to fix the problems. I would advise calling the Md Public service Commission and filing a complaint but only after you check the box on your house. It's gray and opens with screwdriver. Follow the directions inside the box and, don't worry, you can't hurt it. You'll need a simple regular phone to test with. This will tell you if the problem is the inside wiring or outside (Verizon's problem). They can forward all your calls to a cell phone if you have one so you won't miss any.
They're soo busy now with putting fiber everywhere that their copper customer base is suffering and they don't care. I wouldn't lie about having a medical situation at home if you really don't but if you do and it works....
Having said all this, I wouldn't go rushing off to Comcast, Metrocast, Vonage or some other company because, in reality, every company does the same thing and has the same problems.
Another thing: Make sure you keep track of how long it is out. Under law you're not required to pay for your phone service from the day you report it out, until they restore it. Bring this up with the billing department when you get your bill. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

My mom lost her land line around the same time but she's in the Callaway area. She got the same runaround you did and was completely without a phone two days before Christmas. Thank goodness my sister got her a cell phone for Christmas so she at least now can contact someone if needed and vice versa.

As of today, her service is STILL out and they're not scheduled to come look at it, if they even show, until the end of this week. :rolleyes: