Verizon.net e-mail

BernieP

Resident PIA
Same here. I read the note SoftTouch copied as "your account", not all Verizon accounts. Sounds like a phased approach.

just got the email yesterday

The next question is cost, is there going to be a charge from AOL to use their service or is Verizon picking up the tab.
I guess the next question to come up will be Internet services from Verizon that is not FiOS.

I can seriously see them dropping that segment since the customer base the uses DSL is small in comparison to the FiOS market.

SoMDGirl42

Got a notice today that my Verizon e-mail will go away in May. As an 84 year old curmudgeon, I hate change.
They offer the option to transfer my contacts and my verizon.net E-mail address to AOL mail.
Otherwise I am on my own.
I miss how with Outlook Express I could down load my e-mails to my computer and keep them as long as I wanted.
I have never had AOL. Do the e-mails stay on their server like they do with Verizon?
Not having to notify the world that my e-mail has changed is tempting. I am sure I would miss somebody.
Do you think AOL will charge a fee for this service? Verizon is my ISP provider and e-mail was part of the package.

I don't have any information to provide but I do want to congratulate you on being 84 and even knowing about this technology. My mom is 83 and it just blows her mind when we try to tell her anything. She actually has a cell phone (flip phone) and every once in a while she actually turns it on. Don't leave her a voice mail though, she doesn't know how to listen to them :lol:

I love her to pieces though.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
An AOL mail account is free.
Same with Gmail. Dont let anybody make you think you need to pay for an email account.

:yay:

When I changed ISPs from Earthlink to @Home
.... it was going to be such a pain in the ass to migrate all my email tech 'subscriptions' at the time I moved to Webmail never looking back having to 'migrate' again

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Just got a notice from my cell phone company that the verizon.net email associated with my account expires on 4/28 and needs to be update on their website. I haven't received anything through our email about it though.

RGG_jr

Just curious how this notice was received. I've gotten nothing via email about it and I have paperless billing, so not sure if I'm missing something. I first heard about this change from a friend when I gave her my email address.

softtouch

Just curious how this notice was received. I've gotten nothing via email about it and I have paperless billing, so not sure if I'm missing something. I first heard about this change from a friend when I gave her my email address.
I was notified by e-mail.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I called Verizon on Saturday and they said that if you access your email through Yahoo, you don't have to make the transition.

birdonamission

I had heard that this was happening through QVC, of all people.

QUOTE.

Effective April 28, 2017 Verizon will no longer support verizon.net email addresses. You'll be asked to convert to AOL Mail or create a new email address with another provider.

We want to ensure you have no interruption in receiving QVC emails, including your order & shipping confirmations, Customer Care correspondences, and promotional emails.

Please be sure to convert your email address to AOL or provide us with another email address. If you change your email address, visit our Email & Mobile Preferences page to update. You may need to select Email & Mobile Preferences on the left to update. Don't forget to submit your change at the bottom of the page.

Please visit www.verizon.com/email for more information.

UNQUOTE

Of course, I called Verizon and said What? Why am I hearing this from QVC and not from you? The guy explained that they're not just dumping Verizon.net all at once for all their millions and millions of customers - instead, they're doing it in buckets of people over the course of one year. (People are on different servers all over the country.) The migration to AOL actually started in March. And when it's my turn, I will receive an email well before my Verizon.net stops working (unless I take the actions they said to do if I want to keep Verizon.net.

Sure enough, I got my notice last week and followed the instructions and am now fully migrated to AOL and will be able to keep the address for free and forever. I actually changed from POP to IMAP, by preference.

Bottom line: If you haven't received the notice directly from Verizon: IT'S NOT YOUR TURN YET. :)

Just got my notification. Drop dead date June15. I've got my main account and 4 sub accounts, one of which my dad uses. Gotta figure out the best move for him.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Just got my notification. Drop dead date June15. I've got my main account and 4 sub accounts, one of which my dad uses. Gotta figure out the best move for him.

If you login to "MyVerizon" to check you email you will be notified of the change and given two options.
If you select AOL you are redirected to setup an AOL account for your verizon email.
It's quick and painless.
I will say the AOL spam filter is better than what Verizon had.
No need to change your (or his) email address.

A lot of vendors are notifying customers that have verizon.net email addresses change and simply requesting you take care of it so that you don't miss important messages concerning your accounts.

If you login to "MyVerizon" to check you email you will be notified of the change and given two options.
If you select AOL you are redirected to setup an AOL account for your verizon email.
It's quick and painless.
I will say the AOL spam filter is better than what Verizon had.
No need to change your (or his) email address.

A lot of vendors are notifying customers that have verizon.net email addresses change and simply requesting you take care of it so that you don't miss important messages concerning your accounts.

It's a little more complicated for his. I've heard that AOL spam filtering is better, and he sorely needs that. He managed to get himself on a ton of spam lists, so many that I was thinking it would be better to just delete the account and go with a new Gmail or something. But he also uses that email for medical notifications, his IRA, pension, clubs, etc.... so keeping the account to make it painless for him has merit too.

And since he's 3 hours away, uses Thunderbird POP and 91 y/o I have to be there to make the switch, regardless.

Bernie, you have DSL too, right? I'm wondering if we do move to AOL (keep verizon.net) and at some point cancel our DSL lines, will our AOL email be affected? Right now today if I cancel my DSL, the email accounts get deleted too. Not sure if moving to AOL disassociates them from the DSL account.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Bernie, you have DSL too, right? I'm wondering if we do move to AOL (keep verizon.net) and at some point cancel our DSL lines, will our AOL email be affected? Right now today if I cancel my DSL, the email accounts get deleted too. Not sure if moving to AOL disassociates them from the DSL account.
That's a big "I don't know" but I suspect that it's a NO. On Verizon all the emails could be managed under the main account. With AOL each email address is now an account, the difference being your account name now includes "@Verizon.net". Once you make the change you can no longer access your email from MyVerizon. This leads me to believe that there no connection between your ISP and email server.
I was using my email app on my phone but switched to the AOL app (which I like better).

Ok, I did the deed and converted my email to AOL, keeping the Verizon address. Pretty painless. Just had to change passwords in about 16 places (multiple email accounts, multiple devices, incoming/outgoing...).

My DSL router account password was linked to my primary email account password. Couldn't remember my email password (auto-login, just plain forgot what it was...) so I had to get a temp password to complete the transition. I'm waiting for my router to kick out because of a bad password.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Ok, I did the deed and converted my email to AOL, keeping the Verizon address. Pretty painless. Just had to change passwords in about 16 places (multiple email accounts, multiple devices, incoming/outgoing...).

My DSL router account password was linked to my primary email account password. Couldn't remember my email password (auto-login, just plain forgot what it was...) so I had to get a temp password to complete the transition. I'm waiting for my router to kick out because of a bad password.

I have no memory of what my password is (router). I changed my email password several times over the years for security purposes so I know it does not match my router.