Verizon Wireless shutting down 3G Network

imaref

I was caught off guard when I called Verizon Wireless for a minor issue and found out that my cell phone will no longer work after December 2019 because they are shutting down the 3G network. I have a heavy-duty Kyocera Dura XV flip phone (no interest at all in a smartphone).

If you have an older friend/relative that still uses a flip phone that does NOT have a SIM card (and only works on the old 3G network), let them know they will need to upgrade their phone by the end December or their cell phone will stop working.

They can STILL get a new flip phone but it will be 4G LTE and will have a SIM card. As far as I know, there are two options for a Verizon Wireless 4G flip phone--the Kyocera Dura XV LTE phone, and the Kyocera Cadence (both carried locally at the Verizon Store on Route 235 up by the former Starbucks store). I upgraded to the newer Dura XV LTE model and it is almost exactly the same as the older model (just more memory, a SIM card, etc.).

In addition, if you use OnStar and have a car model before 2015, you will need an upgrade kit (where possible) to upgrade your OnStar to work on the 4G network. The link below gives some good info on what other types of devices (medical, etc.) may need to be replaced/updated before the end of December 2019. For cell phones, note that you will need to buy a new device AND pay an activation fee.

Goldenhawk

Well, that's annoying. Near the Pax base, the 4G/LTE network gets so congested that often I find it faster to switch to 3G for a while.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I was caught off guard when I called Verizon Wireless for a minor issue and found out that my cell phone will no longer work after December 2019 because they are shutting down the 3G network. I have a heavy-duty Kyocera Dura XV flip phone (no interest at all in a smartphone).

If you have an older friend/relative that still uses a flip phone that does NOT have a SIM card (and only works on the old 3G network), let them know they will need to upgrade their phone by the end December or their cell phone will stop working.

They can STILL get a new flip phone but it will be 4G LTE and will have a SIM card. As far as I know, there are two options for a Verizon Wireless 4G flip phone--the Kyocera Dura XV LTE phone, and the Kyocera Cadence (both carried locally at the Verizon Store on Route 235 up by the former Starbucks store). I upgraded to the newer Dura XV LTE model and it is almost exactly the same as the older model (just more memory, a SIM card, etc.).

In addition, if you use OnStar and have a car model before 2015, you will need an upgrade kit (where possible) to upgrade your OnStar to work on the 4G network. The link below gives some good info on what other types of devices (medical, etc.) may need to be replaced/updated before the end of December 2019. For cell phones, note that you will need to buy a new device AND pay an activation fee.

What a racket.

littlelady

God bless the USA
My Casio brick phone bit the dust 3 months ago, after using it for 10 years. Verizon told me I would have to upgrade. I was not happy, but got a smart phone to the tune of $300 with a discount; yeah right. I guess I am smart, now. :lol: Like I said, previously, what a racket. Not to mention the hubbub that 5G may cause health issues for people that live too close to the towers. Considering looking into other options after contract is up. Happy phoning, y’all!

officeguy

Same thing happened when they finally shut down the AMPS network. That's just the nature of the beast, no point in maintaining obsolete network infrastructure to serve a small minority of customers. 6 years from now they'll have to claw the last 4G LTE phone from some geezers hands because the infrastructure has moved on.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I am NOT a geezer!

imaref, thanks for the information. I have a technology challenged neighbor who uses a flip phone on the Tracfone network. I'll have to check their website and see what the alternative will be. I'm not sure whose network they use.

Even tho your device may not be on the sunset list, you may have to enable HD Voice on your phone. I just checked my Galaxy s7, and it was already enabled.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Way to punish your tech support, Verizon. My mother will surely be calling you - have fun with that and God help you if she gets someone who doesn't speak understandable English.